SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Worst Call Ever - Music City Crybaby
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Worst Call Ever - Music City Crybaby Login/Join 
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted
Kentucky's best player gets ejected for refusing officials hand. This was after said player had been gang tackled for a big loss and emotion was high. Ref let his ego get in the way and kicked out a player that accounts for 33% of Kentucky's yardage.

Nothing to me but I really hate to see the ref influence the game because he is thin skinned and has poor impulse control. I'll bet there are some pissed off gamblers.

https://kentucky.247sports.com...n-bad-call-112878832

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not even close to worst call ever. Players don't lay hands on zebras. Period. You learn that in peewee fb. You are right about thin skin and poor impulse control but you are pointing it in wrong direction.

Ref could have looked the other way I agree but to push away the man who clearly is helping you up is idiotic. To do that to a ref defines idiocy.

Posts: 7473 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Confused

I don’t know much about football, but it appeared the official reached out to the player, thereby initiating the contact in the first place—no? If so, how does the player’s pushing the official’s hands away then become an offense?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wishbone
posted Hide Post
Kentucky, Missouri, and A&M showing that SEC defense LOL.

Posts: 946 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: November 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
Not even close to worst call ever. Players don't lay hands on zebras. Period. You learn that in peewee fb. You are right about thin skin and poor impulse control but you are pointing it in wrong direction.

Ref could have looked the other way I agree but to push away the man who clearly is helping you up is idiotic. To do that to a ref defines idiocy.

What video did you watch? Certainly not the one in the link.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Definitely one of the worst calls I've seen in a while.

The player was gang tackled, long after the whistle - the ref doesn't throw a flag for that but goes to the player and tries to grab him - the player just puts his hands up to shield himself from the ref's hands and the ref throws a flag and ejects the player.

Complete and total nonsense. And I played the game from junior high on up.

Also, the no call when the NW player literally tackled the UK receiver was pretty dang bad. Yeah, the receiver couldn't catch it - because he got tackled! If he hadn't gotten tackled he may have gotten to the ball. These refs really suck at their job. And no, I'm not a Kentucky fan - I have no dog in this fight.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You guys are nuts. If a referee touches you and you push his hands off you, regardless of who initiated the touch, you are at risk of a flag. Referees touch players all the time for many reasons. Players don't get to push them off. It is really that simple. It was a questionable call only because he could have looked the other way, by the rulebook though it is perfectly within bounds.

Yea, I watched that video. Don't touch the ref even if his hand is touching you. Simple stuff. You didn't do that to refs while you were playing. HS refs especially don't put up with much in the way of shenanigans.

I agree he should have not ejected him but shit guys, he basically pushed off the ref. Imagine a ref getting to the bottom of a pile and the players push him off because they just had "high emotions". Control yourself.

Posts: 7473 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wishbone:

Just wait until Monday......

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3968 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks to me like the zebra is reaching for the ball and the KY player pushes him away. If you want to complain about a "bad call" look at the KY player step FAR out of bounds and the play continues.

Posts: 594 | Registered: November 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
You guys are nuts. If a referee touches you and you push his hands off you, regardless of who initiated the touch, you are at risk of a flag. Referees touch players all the time for many reasons. Players don't get to push them off. It is really that simple. It was a questionable call only because he could have looked the other way, by the rulebook though it is perfectly within bounds.

Yea, I watched that video. Don't touch the ref even if his hand is touching you. Simple stuff. You didn't do that to refs while you were playing. HS refs especially don't put up with much in the way of shenanigans.

I agree he should have not ejected him but shit guys, he basically pushed off the ref. Imagine a ref getting to the bottom of a pile and the players push him off because they just had "high emotions". Control yourself.

The rule does not say a player cannot touch a ref. The actual rule says:

http://www.ncaapublications.co...oads/FR17updated.pdf
quote:
Contacting an Official
ARTICLE 4. Persons subject to the rules (Rule 1-1-6) shall not intentionally
contact a game official forcibly during the game.

Video at this link. Definitely not forcible contact - he simply put his hands up to ward off the ref from touching him. I've seen players chest bump officials arguing with them and not get a flag. Sure it's a good idea to just not ever touch them, but the ref missed this call - by the letter of the rule.

Kentucky RB gets hit with the dumbest ejection penalty ever in Music City Bowl - Apparently, refusing a ref's help off the field is worthy of an ejection

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ukhayes
posted Hide Post
quote:

Coming from a boomer fan?

Posts: 496 | Location: White House,TN | Registered: May 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Referees touch players all the time for many reasons.

I predict this is about to stop, entirely. It's the only way to dumb down the system to avoid poor judgement as demonstrated in that KY incident.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
quote:

Just wait until Monday......

Aaaannnd, how was that SEC defense yesterday?

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
There is a clear problem with officiating this rule, Snell refuses what appears to be help from a ref who then takes it personal and ejects him. Quite clear from the video.

Then GA coach Richt gets upset, touchs a ref, gets a 15 yard non intentional penalty and then forcefully grabs a refs arm, in front of three other officials, on national TV, and doesn't get ejected.

Mark Richt grabs officials Arm

During the UCF game UCF redshirt junior outside linebacker Shaquem Griffin the guy with one hand, is shown being assisted up by a ref, contact is made, why didn't the Ref toss Griffin out?

Well you don't want to be the ref that throws out a one armed football player right? Meaning of course it's subjective,

The ref in the Music City bowl got his panties in a wad and in the opinion of many changed the game. Refs should never change the game.

Posts: 23448 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Then GA coach Richt gets upset, touchs a ref, gets a 15 yard non intentional penalty and then forcefully grabs a refs arm, in front of three other officials, on national TV, and doesn't get ejected.

Mark Richt grabs officials Arm

Agreed, he should have been booted.

When coaches expect their players to show control and discipline, but themselves act like this or even better the now-prevelant practice of having to have a "get-back guy" following the coaches around to keep them under control, well, they may have lost perspective just a bit.

The get-back guy BS is beginning to grate on me as much as anything.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post