SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Juvenile Tesla question.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Juvenile Tesla question. Login/Join 
posted
Teslas are supposed to be the fastest accelerating production cars on the market today. One key to acceleration is traction. Is traction computer controlled or can you bake the tires?

Posts: 141 | Location: Ma. | Registered: November 18, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Pretty sure the quickest Tesla are AWD, so burnouts are probably difficult.
Not sure on the lower spec RWD models.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15285 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Also, traction control is harmful to ETs, as it'll brake wheels that are slipping. Maybe that doesn't apply in Ludicrous Mode, though.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My cousin has 1 level below ludicrous model x. The P90d I think ? I’ve driven it. First thing he says is stomp on it. Wow. The 0-60 acceleration is a monster. Nothing I’ve experienced before and that includes a Buddy’s newer HEMI dodge and another fiends early 2000s ZR1 Corvette. The internal combustion engines have torque but they have to spool up. The electric engine is full power NOW. And no I couldn’t do a burn out with the non manual trans in the tesla.

Posts: 4756 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
Tesla's torque algorithms are specifically designed to avoid "drama".

The cars avoid slippage at all costs and only apply brutal current to the motors when traction is assured by the feedback systems.

The cars are designed to accelerate ferociously, but gracefully, meaning quietly. You can probably force a Tesla burnout, but that's not their bag baby.

Posts: 5130 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
Supposedly there is a group that created/ accessed a computer workaround that allows for wheelspin making it possible to do a burnout or actual drift with a model 3.

But it is either modifying the vehicle parameters (computer wheelsize input) or disabling controls (wheelslip indicators).

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Fast acceleration and wheelspin are mutually exclusive. Spinning tires do nothing to actually propel the car. Yes, Top Fuel and Funny Cars do burnouts to heat the tires and lay down a layer of rubber on the track for an optimal launch, but there is no wheelspin at the actual launch. When the margin for error is hundredths of a second, they can't afford any. With street tires on a normal road, if anything, traction/launch control should improve acceleration by preventing wheelspin.

Posts: 27927 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoctorSolo:
Tesla's torque algorithms are specifically designed to avoid "drama".

The cars avoid slippage at all costs and only apply brutal current to the motors when traction is assured by the feedback systems.

The cars are designed to accelerate ferociously, but gracefully, meaning quietly. You can probably force a Tesla burnout, but that's not their bag baby.

That is the beauty of their accomplishment. If modders wnat to improve anything, perhaps it should be tweaking for different tire compounds or tire sizes. Burnouts are so overrated, downright absurd in any street car.

Posts: 1513 | Location: Lehigh County,PA-USA | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
Someone that lives close by kept turning around in my drive and doing the 1/8th mile drag from my house to the subdivision down the road. Outside of a racetrack, it was the quickest thing I’ve seen (faster than bikes too). He did this 3 times which I guess is about all they’re good for on one charge.

All of it was done on cold tires so to speak. I don’t believe the CPU’s allow burnouts. He left plenty of rubber on the road when he launched so I don’t think he was hurting for traction.

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Performance models have lots of “track” settings the normal ones don’t

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4Fb6ToAg6k

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6225 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They look like fun on takeoff. Any practical info on how much this kind of driving eats into range? A little? A lot?

Posts: 7459 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are hidden features “Easter eggs”

There are certain codes that can be accessed

In Dynomode traction control is disabled

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6225 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanx for the input. lots of info. Part 2.what regulates top end? There is a company that modifies Tesla engines to bolt in to any small block Chevy application. At ten grand plus "batteries not included"won't be many at the local car shows.

Posts: 141 | Location: Ma. | Registered: November 18, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Windwolf:
Thanx for the input. lots of info. Part 2.what regulates top end? There is a company that modifies Tesla engines to bolt in to any small block Chevy application. At ten grand plus "batteries not included"won't be many at the local car shows.

First is the same thing that limits every other vehicle, aerodynamic drag. Very roughly to double your speed it takes 4 times the power. Eventually you run out of power.

The second thing is that electric motors fall on their face as they spin faster. They're kind of the opposite of internal combustion engines that way, they have the instant torque that makes them so quick off the line but that goes away and at some point the ICE engine regains the advantage. They are brutally fast off the line, but fading fast by the quarter mile. That doesn't matter at all in day to day driving, but it does limit what they can do at the top end.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
Fast acceleration and wheelspin are mutually exclusive. Spinning tires do nothing to actually propel the car. Yes, Top Fuel and Funny Cars do burnouts to heat the tires and lay down a layer of rubber on the track for an optimal launch, but there is no wheelspin at the actual launch. When the margin for error is hundredths of a second, they can't afford any. With street tires on a normal road, if anything, traction/launch control should improve acceleration by preventing wheelspin.

Yeah, but laying down $50 worth of rubber on the pavement shows what a man you are.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
A) I haven't actually turned on my track mode yet. I like driving fast, not hooning, and its such a fatty of a car, that its not actually fun beyond a straight line.

B) But I do want to know about dyno mode, because I do want to do a 4 wheel burnout, and it should have the torque for that.

C) Link requested for the Tesla conversion, please. My '49 has a "nifty" motor in it, which sounds lovely, but I have a '77 F100 project, which would make a nifty grocery getter with a Tesla drivetrain.

Posts: 5729 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aglifter:
A) I haven't actually turned on my track mode yet. I like driving fast, not hooning, and its such a fatty of a car, that its not actually fun beyond a straight line.

B) But I do want to know about dyno mode, because I do want to do a 4 wheel burnout, and it should have the torque for that.

C) Link requested for the Tesla conversion, please. My '49 has a "nifty" motor in it, which sounds lovely, but I have a '77 F100 project, which would make a nifty grocery getter with a Tesla drivetrain.

Main control menu...
Touch software at the bottom
Touch and hold for 3-5sec on model area
Enter Dynotest in the pop up box