SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Firefox update window pop up
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Firefox update window pop up Login/Join 
Picture of dsiets
posted
I'm surfing SF and a Firefox window pops up telling me I've selected to download an update. In the background there is a Firefox critical update page w/ a funky address.
I close both and go to Firefox options and select "check for update" and it's up to date.

Anyone else get this?

ETA: It looks like this and is a scam.
https://support.mozilla.org/en...-fake-firefox-update
I've never seen this while using Norton but now that I've upgraded to Win10 (finally) I've been relying on Windows Defender :/

I'll add I had two other tabs open in the background. They were probably the source.

Posts: 7349 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I'd make sure you have a current backup. Eek

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
I've had it come up on Yahoo News and a few other sites. I open task manager and shut everything down.

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:

Why?
Because I closed it?
I didn't get any download.

Posts: 7349 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ackks:
I've had it come up on Yahoo News and a few other sites. I open task manager and shut everything down.

This sounds safer than the site I linked to suggesting clicking "cancel".
I ran Malwarebytes and it came back w/ 0 threats.

This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
Firefox updates automatically. If you get that big orange screen that says there is and update available, close out of it and do not update. It is spam.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5749 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dsiets:
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:

Why?
Because I closed it?
I didn't get any download.

Why?? In case you fuck up and download the wrong thing. Good policy regardless of this situation.

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post