SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Harbor Freight table saws, etc
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Harbor Freight table saws, etc Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Black and Decker makes a small table saw I have found very useful. The table is small, perhaps 30x30 inches. It is, however, VERY stable. I used it to cut wood for a very large deck, and several hundred feet of book shelving. Well worth the money. It MUST go on a stable surface.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
Now that the Festool patent on track saws has expired, you can buy less expensive versions from Makita and DeWalt—still about $400.
I use a Festool, and don’t own a table saw. Takes longer to set up than a table saw, but the plunge saw on a track is vastly safer, very precise, and will permit safe cutting of sheet goods as well as lumber.
Festool is insanely nice stuff, but way out of my price range for tools as a non-pro. However, your suggestion of a Track Saw is a good one. I read reviews and watched YouTube videos, and this little Wen Track Saw rated very high for the occasional user, and its about the cost of a good skill saw. It would probably be more than adequate for breaking down plywood.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fizteach:
Check out Kreg tools and a circular saw for most plywood cutting chores. Yes I have a decent contractor saw and I am getting my brother-in-law’s cabinet saw. A good set of saw horses or foldable tables with some Kreg tools for cutting sheet goods will, imho, provide you with all you need.
Do yourself a favor and ditch the saw horses and tables (for this particular job) and buy yourself a piece of this rigid insulation. Lay it on a flat surface (Ex. a driveway or other concrete surface), lay your stock on top of it, and set the blade in your saw to penetrate about a 1/2" into the insulation. I moved to breaking down plywood this way a few years ago, and wouldn't think of doing it any other way. Cheap, easy, and convenient.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Captain Morgan
posted Hide Post
If you.go with any table saw you should have an outfeed table to help support the wood.
If you buy any saw replace the blade and get a good blade like Freud, CMT etc.

Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 3862 | Location: Sparta, NJ USA | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post