SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Harbor Freight table saws, etc
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Harbor Freight table saws, etc Login/Join 
Picture of Leemur
posted
I find myself in need of a table saw, miter saw, etc on a few occasions. I’m not looking for JPL precision, just serviceable utility. Are their products at all worth the cash or do I have to cough up the money for name brands? We’re only talking ripping some plywood, cutting some 2x4 to 2x8 sizes boards and such. All personal use stuff, not trying to become a woodworker or make money with them.

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
The key to a table saw is stability of the surface and the quality of the motor.
Cheap units are usually direct drive motors and a bit wobley.
My 35 year old Craftsman has been solid for me.
Nice cast surface and belt drive motor (full disclosure it was replace once maybe 10-12 years ago when a buddy over drove it Frown ).
However a lot of people will get by with a chap portable unit, YMMV.

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would not use a small saw to cut plywood sheets. Or long 2x lumber. You need the saw to be completely stationary or you will get kickback.

Posts: 1038 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
The key to a table saw is stability of the surface and the quality of the motor.

Very true. A cheap table saw is dangerous.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:

Very true. A cheap table saw is dangerous.
Not if its a nice 'used' contractor's saw or cabinet saw. Wink

I always recommend people check their local craigslist postings. Many times you can buy a really nice, barely used, contractor's saw for less than half the cost of a new one. With a little care, a saw like that will last forever while turning in exceptional service.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
I find myself in need of a table saw, miter saw, etc on a few occasions. I’m not looking for JPL precision, just serviceable utility. Are their products at all worth the cash or do I have to cough up the money for name brands? We’re only talking ripping some plywood, cutting some 2x4 to 2x8 sizes boards and such. All personal use stuff, not trying to become a woodworker or make money with them.

Given your description of usage, I would go with a "skill saw" tool. Add one of those 2 piece aluminum straight edges, couple of "C" clamps.

Lay out your plywood, mark where you want to cut it. Measure the distance from the saw blade to the edge of the base. Offset the saw guides by that much, secure with C clamps. Make the cut.

Not at all difficult to figure out how to do this!! I used this method a lot before I invested some $1300 for a high quality table saw. But then I was making furniture, wall cabinets, etc for our houses. In my view, it is not an issue of Harbor Freight products. It is what will get the job done for the least cash expenditure. And, if you decide to go the table saw route, what will you do with it when you are done?

Those light weight "table saws" are difficult to use when cutting larger pieces of wood, especially sheets of plywood, etc. Even ripping a 2x6 down the middle might prove to be difficult.

Slightly off topic, but when I started doing wood turning a couple years ago, I bought a cheap lathe from Grizzly. It "did the job" but not to my satisfaction. So I sold it and bought a much better one. My point here is that for the "rare" or one time usage, a cheap "system" would do.

Skill saws are cheap, C clamps a couple bucks each (you would need 2)

Probably less than 50-60 bucks, total. And you would still have the tools for any future projects.

You have to understand that woodworking can be hazardous to your pocket book. It gets to be fun, which will lead to acquiring more tools.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Just my opinion, but when I'm using power equipment that can dismember or kill me in an instant, I'm more than happy to pay extra for quality tools.

The good, name brand, tools that you are wanting aren't really all that expensive. Go with quality rather than trying to get by on the cheap. It might cost you a finger or two...or more.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 12" harbor freight miter saw and am very happy with it.

Like you, I'm not using it for fine woodworking, but honestly I probably could as its miter system is quite good.

Family Handyman did an in depth review of it a few years back and gave it much praise. If I find a link I'll share.

*** found the link***

https://www.familyhandyman.com...saw-review/view-all/

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ubelongoutside,

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
The "biggest" Harbor Freight tool I have is a drill press, too cheap to pass up. Generally adequate but not recommended. No aspect of using it gives me any confidence I have a precision tool. It's tough to take seriously. No reason to think their table saws are any better.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
If all you're looking to do is breakdown plywood, then one of these (assuming you have a good skill saw) would probably suffice. Kreg Accu-cut

Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
I always recommend people check their local craigslist postings. Many times you can buy a really nice, barely used, contractor's saw for less than half the cost of a new one. With a little care, a saw like that will last forever while turning in exceptional service.

All kinds of tools on Craigslist. Some good stuff at good deals sometimes.
Only two potential issues... at least around here, that I have noticed.
1) It might be stolen
2) You probably will need to speak Spanish to deal with the seller. Big Grin

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4118 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know a couple of people with the Rigid brand contractor saws from Home Depot. They are happy with them doing this kind of work.

My dad put food on the table building plywood cabinets with a Delta contractor saw with the stamped steel wings. Not as nice as a cabinet saw with cast iron wings but got the job done.

If you have an infeed and outfeed table you can rip plywood with a contractor saw without much difficulty. Really only need the outfeed table.

A tablesaw really is one of those "how did I ever get along without it tools" in my opinion. They are great for storing random junk on top of in the garage as well.

Posts: 512 | Location: Pearland, Tx | Registered: June 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
Safety and quality of the cuts costs money. Saw stabilization on a contractor’s saw will do for most jobs. For plywood, infeed and outfeed tables are a must have for about any size saw.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sportshooter:
Safety and quality of the cuts costs money. Saw stabilization on a contractor’s saw will do for most jobs. For plywood, infeed and outfeed tables are a must have for about any size saw.
Just for clarification, there are three types of table saws, and the pricing varies quite a bit for each. I think the Op is considering the job site variety saw, and no, it wouldn't be my choice if I were considering
breaking down a lot of plywood at home.

Job site or portable Saw

Contractor Saw

Cabinet Saw

Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
big deal thanks for the clarification. Job site saw is definitely what I’m looking for and I wouldn’t be using to rip full size sheets of plywood, at least not by myself. Should that be necessary I wouldn’t attempt it without some help.

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Price range and space availability?

The Delta Contractor shown above is what I have. It's perfect for general work, and with some care and tweaking, is adequate for cabinets at the homeowner skill level.

If you have the room it would be my first choice. They can be found used for short money, and aren't all THAT expensive new.

A little portable direct-drive like the example above is okay for cross-cutting 2-by stock, but you're going to be seriously disappointed with it for ripping. With a new thin kerf carbide blade it will do it, but it will NOT like it. If the stock has even a little twist in it, or you cock it, it'll jam and stall. The tiny table surface makes working with full sheets of plywood impractical.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
The likelihood of me ripping even full size sheets of plywood, even with help, is remote. I’ve got clamps and a skil saw for anything that big. Space in the area I’ll be using isn’t workshop size. The frequency of use and type of use won’t justify spending top dollar on a professional cabinet maker set up.

"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
My father has a Harbor Freight "table saw". For the two or three times he's used it, I guess it's okay. Having assembled his and used it with him the first time, I wouldn't buy one. And I have a few HF tools.

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Now that the Festool patent on track saws has expired, you can buy less expensive versions from Makita and DeWalt—still about $400.
I use a Festool, and don’t own a table saw. Takes longer to set up than a table saw, but the plunge saw on a track is vastly safer, very precise, and will permit safe cutting of sheet goods as well as lumber.

Posts: 18018 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fizteach
posted Hide Post
Check out Kreg tools and a circular saw for most plywood cutting chores. Yes I have a decent contractor saw and I am getting my brother-in-law’s cabinet saw. A good set of saw horses or foldable tables with some Kreg tools for cutting sheet goods will, imho, provide you with all you need.

Get over it!!

Posts: 669 | Location: Campbell, TX | Registered: September 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post