SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any Copper Pot Owners?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any Copper Pot Owners? Login/Join 
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted
We recently got a copper pot set, it's Calphalon brand and the series is the "Tri-ply 10 piece copper pot set", reviews were great (4.5 out of 5 stars everywhere I looked.) I know I can't dish wash them, which is fine. But when I used the one last night to make a quelsadilla, it doesn't even look copper anymore?!? I used medium low heat, so I know I didn't burn it.

Someone said to soak it in a salt water bath.. I am absolutely not doing that every time I use these damn things.

what do/did I do??

and some pictures, I put the used one on top of a new one for comparison.

This is the set in question, if it makes a difference.

https://www.macys.com/shop/pro...le9bkUmoERoCWDDw_wcB

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think it looks better after being used.

Posts: 5405 | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScorpionBoy:
I think it looks better after being used.

it doesn't look bad, it just doesn't look copper anymore which is what we wanted them to look like haha

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
Looking at the reviews, you aren't the only one with those issues.

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3598 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I don't know how to make it look like the unused one but be careful how you treat it. They are plated or copper coated in some way, not solid copper so be careful you don't wear through.

Posts: 9499 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
I don't know how to make it look like the unused one but be careful how you treat it. They are plated or copper coated in some way, not solid copper so be careful you don't wear through.

I use a mild soap and sponge, nothing abrasive. I've gotten washing fragile shit down to a science after my wonderful wife dish washed 4 of my cast iron skillets and Wusthof knife set

├┼┼╕
246R

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
All Copper Pots will change color / develop a patina with use, the degree of which varies greatly based on brand and use.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
I don't have any copper pans, but I've sweated copper pipes. When you heat copper, it turns color. Just call/refer to it as patina as 46and2 says.

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OldChimney
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the world of copper cookware. On the plus side they are excellent for heat distribution. Having owned All Clad Cop-R-Chef for years I can attest that they are a pain in the ass to maintain.

There are many commercial copper cleaners on the market that will bring back the bright copper shine. Lemon juice mixed in salt will also do it.

Be advised that even without cooking the copper will dull over time just from air exposure and will need occasional cleaning to return the brightness.

Posts: 2364 | Location: West | Registered: December 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
That looks like steel with a copper cladding to me and the heat just discolors it like that.

Like they say about guns, 'just shoot the damn thing and don't worry about it', just cook on it and don't worry about it.

If you want show "show" pans to sit there and look pretty on your open shelves, get some for that purpose and use the others to cook with.

Posts: 33787 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I wonder how much copper is on those pots. I'd guess it isn't much.

I'd let it turn whatever color it turns.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
It's definitely plated. Probably Steel, but some are Tin.

Unless you're going to futz with them a lot to try to fight it, it's just part of the deal...

Granted, some brands and models discolor differently and at different rates, so some do indeed look cooler than others as they develop the patinas, but they'll all do it.

Caphalon is squarely mid-tier gear. Good/decent, but certainly not fancy, artisan, hand hammered, or anything of the sort, which are the sorts that tend to look cooler with age.

I still like the way yours are looking, but if you don't I'd look elsewhere to more expensive (or at least different) Copper or to Stainless instead.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
That patina adds value and beauty to your new cookware.

Posts: 26899 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have an expensive French copper fry pan with a stainless steel lining.
After ten or more years of service, from a distance the copper pan matches my cast iron pan in appearance.

You have three choices;
One don't use it (but you will still have to polish it).
two, find a slave to polish it after every use,
three, learn to accept the world as it is rather than how the salesman told you it would be.

Posts: 3853 | Location: Citrus County Florida | Registered: October 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
We have a few and haven't had that issue, though they do look less shiny. Ours are very, very heavy copper and can double as weapons if you run out of ammo and Guns.

Brought the 6L and a 4L back from Paris several years ago, ordered two smaller ones since.

Cry once, you say??!!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12411 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
I have a Ruffoni solid copper risotto pan (tin coated interior). I keep the exterior looking nice with Coke and a teaspoon of salt after every use, and occasionally use their cleaner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urxvTclHcHI

Posts: 1480 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bar Keeper's Friend or Revereware cleaner with some elbow grease will work wonders.

Calphalon Copper Cleaning Advice

Posts: 237 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post