SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Car Geeks: Finish and Interior Protection? Engine Compartment?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Car Geeks: Finish and Interior Protection? Engine Compartment? Login/Join 
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snwghst:
Forgot to mention..

Exterior trim I’ve been using Wolfgang’s trim sealant. It lasts much longer than the label says. Dirt, bugs etc washes off every bit of plastic very easily. Little bit goes a long way. I treated the wheel well liners on the Tacoma Pro. Makes it super easy to wash the dirt off of them. It holds up to the auto “soft touch” car washes and the aggressive soaps they have. I coated the whole exterior of the truck with Polish Angel Cosmic V2, time consuming but DIYable. Not a single scratch in the paint from car washes, I use 1 in particular after talking to the owner almost every week. I do have to reapply the sprayable high gloss (which I believe is the sacrificial portion) more often , every 90days to bring the hydrophobicity back to it fully

Autogeek and sister Company autopia are great forum resources

Autogeeks customer service is great. I had placed an order and a “freebie” was forgotten to be put in the box. A short phone call and it was put into an order I had being pulled and shipped.

They seem to be a pretty good company to work for also. Almost weekly they have an activity day with full spread of food and give always to employees
Excellent post. I agree with ever word. Smile

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cruiser68:
When I was doing all the work myself I was a fan of Zaino. It's all in the prep though. Two step paint correction followed by a few coats of Zaino would give me minimum 8-10 months protection.
Zaino is indeed an excellent product line. My only issue with some people (no one in this thread) pushing it, is that its not the only answer to every detailing question asked. There are detailing zealots out there just like we find in the gun community who are closed minded to anything beyond their one product. For those of us who are really into detailing, we know how blessed we are to have an almost endless array of terrific products to choose from (big reason why I shy away from recommending any specific brands or products). And that list is always growing... Smile

Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Forgot to mention..

Exterior trim I’ve been using Wolfgang’s trim sealant. It lasts much longer than the label says. Dirt, bugs etc washes off every bit of plastic very easily. Little bit goes a long way. I treated the wheel well liners on the Tacoma Pro. Makes it super easy to wash the dirt off of them.

That sounds like a clear winner. Added to my Amazon wish list.

quote:
It holds up to the auto “soft touch” car washes and the aggressive soaps they have.

Does "soft touch" = "soft cloth?"

I've always wondered about those. I can see why the brushes you used to see were rough on a finish, but it's always seemed to me those "cloth" strips could easily hold nasty abrasives.

quote:
I coated the whole exterior of the truck with Polish Angel Cosmic V2, time consuming but DIYable.

I'll keep it in mind, but... I don't believe I'm looking to turn this into a hobby Wink

quote:

I've been perusing Autogeek's forums. If I really get into it I'll join.

quote:
Autogeeks customer service is great.

Noted.

quote:
When I was doing all the work myself I was a fan of Zaino. It's all in the prep though.

One of my best friends, who keeps his cars pristine, and researches things even more thoroughly than do I, told me something like "It's 2/3 prep and 1/3 product/application."

quote:
Stoners glass cleaner.

Noted.

He had a "problem issue" of some type with a bit of his glass. Tried everything. Finally found something that did the trick. Don't recall what he used.

I would have sworn I took notes when we were discussing these things at his place a week ago, but I'll be damned if I can find anything on my phone.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Soft touch= closed cell foam fingers in some of the automated car washes. They cost more, but don’t hold the dirt like the old style ones did as easily so lessening the notorious scratches that were common

Touch free= Not very good cleaning and always a film left on the vehicle. Basically a soap foam bath and high pressure rinse

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6226 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Touch free= Not very good cleaning and always a film left on the vehicle. Basically a soap foam bath and high pressure rinse
But on a car coated with a ceramic coating (as was suggested earlier), the dirt and grime should slide right off. The key for cars that suffer through northern winters is to get a hard durable coating on the surface of the paint that is super slick and will last. That way, whatever gets on the paint can't attach very well to the surface and should be able to be floated away without too much effort.

And the Wolfgang Trim Sealant mentioned above is an excellent product. I use it on all my cars.

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Did a bit >< more research. Ceramic does look great, but if the one detailer I found that was willing to post starting prices is any guide ($650 minimum): I'm going to have to pass.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Did a bit >< more research. Ceramic does look great, but if the one detailer I found that was willing to post starting prices is any guide ($650 minimum): I'm going to have to pass.

Thats why I did it myself

Many good products out there now

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6226 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Thats why I did it myself

Many good products out there now

Yes, but that's a non-trivial project and the weather's no longer suitable. (E.g.: It's ±33°F, breezy and blowing snow flurries atm.) I may look at doing it next spring.

AIUI:

• Wash car well
  • Rub it out
  • Clay it
  • Apply ceramic product

Weather aside: It's the rubbing it out that may be the show-stopper. I don't know if I have it in me, any longer, to rub out an entire Jeep Grand Cherokee.

We do own a nice Makita variable-speed orbital sander/polisher, however.

In the meantime: I'm looking for how best to protect the vehicles over this winter. Right now it's looking like detailing the exteriors and regular visits to the least-damaging automatic car wash.

posted Hide Post
The ceramic coatings are amazing from what I've been hearing, BUT they're not something you want to self apply. They're sold in Millileter bottles and very expensive for the product. Hire the professional who does it everyday. What you waste in using too much to apply it, will end up costing you more than the professional to do it and stand behind it. But for what you're looking for and money spent keeping it up with traditional waxes and time, it sounds like you're a perfect candidate for ceramic.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Dang! I need to move up north and do some detailing as a sideline if that's the going rate. Ceramic is expensive to apply, but not that expensive.

As you noted, you might as well do as best you can for now given weather conditions and revisit ceramic in the spring or early summer.

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:

Tried to sign up to the autogeek forum. Got back "Unfortunately your registration at Auto Geek Online Auto Detailing Forum did not meet our membership requirements. Therefore your registration was deleted."

quote:
Autogeeks customer service is great.

Really? In addition to the mysterious and unexplained "you're not good enough for us" message, they did not deign to answer my polite inquiry as to what that meant.

I don't believe I'll be buying anything from AutoGeek. Or their sister company.

thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
I noticed, looking at the car, yesterday, the discs develop surface rust essentially overnight. Anything I can spray on them to retard that? (That won't negatively affect brake performance, obviously.)

I can help a little with this perhaps, from my routine. Have always had same issue after washing, and on at least one of my cars the resulting rust-dust was very visible on wheels.

Now after I finish washing and drying I take a slow tour to the end of my street and back, probably 1/4 mile round trip, lightly dragging the brakes the whole way. Between the surface rub and mild friction and heat dries them off without any meaningful impact on wear.

YMMV, but for those of us who notice this stuff it's an answer!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12415 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Tried to sign up to the autogeek forum. Got back "Unfortunately your registration at Auto Geek Online Auto Detailing Forum did not meet our membership requirements. Therefore your registration was deleted."
That is absolutely weird in the extreme. I've sent literally dozens of people to the Autogeek forum and have never had a single person note their registration attempt was denied for any reason.

I don't recommend many companies in any field, but Autogeek has been absolutely terrific to deal with over the maybe half dozen plus years I've bought from them, and I've never gotten one cross word sent my way for recommending them. Again, I'm a bit dumbfounded by the problem(s) you encountered.

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Update

Given the other feedback on AutoGeek, here, I decided something must be amiss, so I gave their customer service a call.

Turns out their system automatically rejects anybody who's been waiting in the approval queue too long, and their web people are swamped. He said most "applicants" are spammers, which is why they have the manual review step in the first place. The CS guy apologized, asked for my email address so they could watch out for it, and for me to re-apply. I did and it went through, this time.

As busy as they must be this time of the year, to take the time to handle this speaks well of their customer support, IMO.