SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cooper tire recall
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cooper tire recall Login/Join 
Picture of olfuzzy
posted
DETROIT — Cooper Tire & Rubber Co. is recalling more than 430,000 light truck tires in the U.S. because they can develop sidewall bulges that could lead to tire failure.
The recall covers certain Discoverer, Evolution, Courser, Deegan, Adventurer, Hercules, Back Country, Multi-Mile, Wild Country and Big O tires in several sizes.

The company says in documents posted Friday by U.S. safety regulators that the bulges can cause a sidewall separation. That can make the tires lose air rapidly, increasing the risk of a crash.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/li...e-to-sidewall-bulges

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rexles
posted Hide Post
good thing they sold out to Goodyear last week Big Grin

NRA Life member
NRA Certified Instructor
"Our duty is to serve the mission, and if we're not doing that, then we have no right to call what we do service" Marcus Luttrell

Posts: 1113 | Location: Holland, OH | Registered: May 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I have a set of Cooper Discoverer STMAXX on my Tacoma; they don’t appear to be under recall. Almost would have been nice to get a new set.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
Well, damn. I just had a Cooper Discoverer ATP go completely flat on my truck a couple days ago, just sitting in the driveway. I haven't taken a close look at the tire yet but now I wonder if this is what happened. I'll get it off tomorrow probably and take it to the local dealer to find out.

Posts: 7262 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I bought a set of Cooper Enduramax tires from Discount in December and called to see if they were on the recall list and they said no. These have been great tires so far.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wonder if they will be prorated or will you get a new set?

Posts: 5414 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John Steed
posted Hide Post
For 12 years or so, Coopers were all I had on my truck. I always got good service / tire life from them and had no complaints. They always seemed to be cheaper than anything but off brands. Then the price went up so that they cost as much or more than anything else.

I wanted more of a winter / snow tire so for the most recent set on the truck I went with DuraTracs. Glad I don't have to screw around with recalled tires.

... stirred anti-clockwise.

Posts: 2078 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rexles:

Please tell me more. Goodyear is on my shitlist from that crap they pulled awhile back.

I am a big Cooper fan

quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:
Well, damn. I just had a Cooper Discoverer ATP go completely flat on my truck a couple days ago, just sitting in the driveway. I haven't taken a close look at the tire yet but now I wonder if this is what happened. I'll get it off tomorrow probably and take it to the local dealer to find out.

Guess I will be calling tomorrow or Monday
I have Cooper Discoverer AT3s on my Silverado that I put on in March of 2020. I too had 2 go flat rather quickly. Tire shop cleaned up the lips on my wheels thinking it may have been corrosion allowing them to leak.

I can't find anything yet listing which Discoverers are included. There are tons of options on that line.
Tire shop

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I posted a couple days ago about Goodyear buying Cooper. Goodyear carries dept while Cooper is a strong company. I believe Cooper sold for 2.8 billion. Affraid I dont grasp the Goodyear attachment to china. Cooper will remain in business.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
I bought a set of Cooper Enduramax tires from Discount in December and called to see if they were on the recall list and they said no. These have been great tires so far.

Jim

I wonder where they got their specific line/size info? I have not seen any yet.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 08 Cayenne
posted Hide Post
I've got a set of 17" Hercules that I bought in May of 2018. ouch

Posts: 1580 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
Well, crap, the Cooper Discoverer ATPs on my Silverado were purchased in SEP 2018, so they may be involved. Guess I’ll find out in late March...So far no problems with them; they’ve been really good tires.

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1680 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
The Cooper web site says that if you have the tires in the recall, you will receive new tires free of charge. From the Cooper web site. “If the tire retailer inspection verifies that you have a tire or tires that are part of a recall, it/they will be replaced with new tire(s) and will be mounted and balanced at no charge. Should any questions or issues arise while tires are being inspected or replaced, please call Cooper’s Consumer Relations Department at 800-854-6288".

I have some Cooper ST/MAXX tires I bought in January 31, 2018. They have finally worn down enough so that they don’t pick up as many rocks as they used to, but I’d love some new tires. Can’t find any info online about the tires in the recall, so I guess I’ll have to take them back to where I bought them to find out. Wonder if the recall goes back that far?

---------------
Gary
Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo
Mosquito Lubrication Video

If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective.... Ted Nugent

Posts: 2505 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
From September:
"I've had Cooper CS4/5 series on all my Subies for years in Eastern PA. Just put on a set of the new Discoverer Enduramax (new this year) on the 2018 Forester:

https://us.coopertire.com/tires/discoverer-enduramax

Been great so far on highway, wet and gravel----see how the winter goes"

Update now - these are not part of the recall - most snowy winter in many years in Eastern PA and these tire have been great performers.......i can see when the AWD kicks in----hardly ever running these!

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4571 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Krazeehorse:
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:

Jim

I wonder where they got their specific line/size info? I have not seen any yet.

Being the bad tires were made in 2018 and 2019 and he just had them put on I would guess his DOT number indicates his were made in 2020 therefore not being a part of the recall unless he got some old stock.

————————————————

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rexles:

Damn. Im pissed.

https://corporate.goodyear.com...l-tire-industry.html

Posts: 5414 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
Please tell me more. Goodyear is on my shitlist from that crap they pulled awhile back.

What crap was that? I don't recall hearing about a Goodyear scandal.

Posts: 7262 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
I have a set of Evolutions that were made in late 2018. I called the Cooper public relations line (1-800-854-6288), provided the DOT number, and they told me mine weren't part of the recall. It was quick and easy, no hold time either. I also registered the tires on their site just in case there's a future recall: https://us.coopertire.com/for-...rs/tire-registration.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sgalczyn:
From September:
"I've had Cooper CS4/5 series on all my Subies for years in Eastern PA. Just put on a set of the new Discoverer Enduramax (new this year) on the 2018 Forester:

https://us.coopertire.com/tires/discoverer-enduramax

Been great so far on highway, wet and gravel----see how the winter goes"

Update now - these are not part of the recall - most snowy winter in many years in Eastern PA and these tire have been great performers.......i can see when the AWD kicks in----hardly ever running these!

Our Enduramax tires have been awesome this winter on our Sorento. I haven't felt a tire spin once in up to 6 inches of snow and the grip when stopping is super as well. I'd recommend them to anyone looking for an all weather tire.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:

What crap was that? I don't recall hearing about a Goodyear scandal.

Went woke back in August. Here is the 8 page thread.
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...935/m/5110026374/p/1

————————————————