Notify
Tools

CPA help Login/Join 
Picture of sjames
posted
Question answered.

Thanks

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sjames,

Posts: 2505 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: August 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
They probably weren't flagged if the individual deposits were less than $10,000.00

Here's what the IRS says about casual sales of personal property:

https://www.kiplinger.com/arti...:text=If%20you%20don't%20know,FMV%20or%20cost%2Dbasis).

If you occasionally sell something online there’s little to worry about, especially if you’re selling it for less than you paid for it. Even if you occasionally sell one of your old Beatles albums for a decent sum it’s not critical for you to report this income to the IRS.

But if you decide, like thousands of other people, to go into business bargain-shopping at yard sales and flea markets and flipping what you find for a profit, then you’re technically running a business. You’ll need to report this income on IRS Form 1040 Schedule C. This form is used by sole proprietors to report business-related income. You’ll want to keep records of what you paid for the items (the cost basis) so you can report the net profits (rather than the full sales price) from these transactions.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
IMHO I would treat them as property with capital gains and or losses on the sale. I would rather report them than have the worry. Just keep a record of the sale.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjames
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
They probably weren't flagged if the individual deposits were less than $10,000.00

Here's what the IRS says about casual sales of personal property:

https://www.kiplinger.com/arti...:text=If%20you%20don't%20know,FMV%20or%20cost%2Dbasis).

If you occasionally sell something online there’s little to worry about, especially if you’re selling it for less than you paid for it. Even if you occasionally sell one of your old Beatles albums for a decent sum it’s not critical for you to report this income to the IRS.

But if you decide, like thousands of other people, to go into business bargain-shopping at yard sales and flea markets and flipping what you find for a profit, then you’re technically running a business. You’ll need to report this income on IRS Form 1040 Schedule C. This form is used by sole proprietors to report business-related income. You’ll want to keep records of what you paid for the items (the cost basis) so you can report the net profits (rather than the full sales price) from these transactions.

I saw that article. I fear that my selling could be construed as business due to volume alone.

Posts: 2505 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: August 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjames
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
IMHO I would treat them as property with capital gains and or losses on the sale. I would rather report them than have the worry. Just keep a record of the sale.

That's the spirit in which I would report it.

posted Hide Post
Given the fact that you sold the property for less than what you paid for it - it is not a taxable event. Wink

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
if you do it enough for it to be a business, its a business. Sch. C. make sure you have good basis data and sleep well. If its casual its a Sch. D. and you will probably be one of the first to report this on occasional casual incidental sales.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Best thing you could have done was not tell anyone about it.

Graniteguy has the right idea otherwise.

Do you have receipts for when you sold AND when you purchased? Burn them if so. You got them all from some dudes in the local classifieds here and there.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Given the fact that you sold the property for less than what you paid for it - it is not a taxable event.

This. You probably just have a hobby that is all! No schedule C is required. Keep all the sale records since you are self employed in case you are audited & need to explain the non reported bank deposits. You may email me for specific questions.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4266 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjames
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anush:
quote:
Given the fact that you sold the property for less than what you paid for it - it is not a taxable event.

This. You probably just have a hobby that is all! No schedule C is required. Keep all the sale records since you are self employed in case you are audited & need to explain the non reported bank deposits. You may email me for specific questions.

It's definitely a hobby...

posted Hide Post
That in and of itself does not get you out of taxable gains. But the facts of what you are doing will determine what is required.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjames
posted Hide Post
I've gotten some great advice and Uncle Sam will get his cut...which I will happily pay to keep them off my back!

Thanks all!