SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Stolen Q400 from Sea-Tac
Page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stolen Q400 from Sea-Tac Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ59:
This whole episode confirms that pilots are overpaid.

Um. My winking emoji didn’t post. Here it is again Wink

P229

Posts: 3823 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
Out of airspeed, altitude and ideas....

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
there was a Beech king air , start up and roll out on youtube
it had a voice over telling you the correct order in which to execute .

after watching the 10 minute vid four times ,
I don't think I could have
come close to

getting it started , let alone driving it to the launch pad

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54602 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
If they made it hard to start or fly clearly the Engineers failed

Posts: 126 | Registered: January 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
And boy did he take it for a ride.

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Take-offs are optional.

Landings are mandatory.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30645 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
i do not know what has been determined. But my guess is that he was not trying, nor was he intending to land the plane.

He either crashed it or maybe ran out of fuel. I am guessing if he wanted to go back and land it they could of talked him through that. Pure speculation on my part.

Maybe there is evidence as to what happened now?

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19158 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
It was a suicide, plain and simple.

A blind man can see it.

Posts: 107498 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified Plane Pusher
Picture of Phantom229
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:

Landings are mandatory.
Not if you want to die.

Situation awareness is defined as a continuous extraction of environmental information, integration of this information with previous knowledge to form a coherent mental picture in directing further perception and anticipating future events. Simply put, situational awareness mean knowing what is going on around you.

Posts: 7895 | Location: Around Lake Tapps, Wa | Registered: September 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
i do not know what has been determined. But my guess is that he was not trying, nor was he intending to land the plane.

He either crashed it or maybe ran out of fuel. I am guessing if he wanted to go back and land it they could of talked him through that. Pure speculation on my part.

Maybe there is evidence as to what happened now?

He had fuel on board judging by the amount of fire at the crash site. It's possible he ran one of the tanks dry and didn't know how to switch tanks. The black boxes will determine that.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
A tragic loss of a life Nothing more, nothing less

I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phantom229:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:

Landings are mandatory.
Not if you want to die.

The landing is mandatory whether you want to die or not. Sometimes that happens, too, especially among the careless or unprepared.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified Plane Pusher
Picture of Phantom229
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ishootsometimes:
I hear this a lot. What made it tragic?

Situation awareness is defined as a continuous extraction of environmental information, integration of this information with previous knowledge to form a coherent mental picture in directing further perception and anticipating future events. Simply put, situational awareness mean knowing what is going on around you.

Posts: 7895 | Location: Around Lake Tapps, Wa | Registered: September 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Dude wants to kill himself So you not actually don't have one ounce of compassion in your soul?

Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
"I'm gonna put the nose down and call it a night." had a pretty specific meaning to me....

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phantom229:
quote:
I hear this a lot. What made it tragic?
Really just a tragic loss of a good airplane.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
4-H Shooting
Sports Instructor
Picture of Zecpull
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ59:
This whole episode confirms that pilots are overpaid.

You do remember his Landing... that is the part that is really important.

That being said, with an empty plane and Lots of power surplus he could make some mistakes and it would correct.

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but
> because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Life member
NRA Pistol instructor...and Range Safety instructor
Women On Target Instructor.

Posts: 9071 | Location: Wooster,Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
(I thought someone's Audi or Infinity got stolen from the parking lot) Confused

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
(I thought someone's Audi or Infinity got stolen from the parking lot) Confused

Hopefully it didn't 'trigger' you. Wink

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

The only tragedy here is the loss of the aircraft and the fallout that will happen in the industry as a result of this stupidity.

The guy didn't simply pick up a pistol or jump off a bridge. There was a lot more planning, preparation and set-up for this. It was a criminal act that placed thousands of lives in jeopardy.

A tragedy if he hung himself maybe, but he lost any possible pity from me when he went this route.

I've seen suicides in aviation before. In fact, we had two at a flight school where I worked, individuals who rented aircraft and flew them into a mountain. That's not the case here, and in neither case did the pilots buzz people or attempt low altitude aerobatics. This was far more elaborate than a simple suicide, and planned out far in advance, despite the individual's comments to air traffic control. This was rehearsed and prepared. It's not possible for someone to have simply hopped in the aircraft, started it, and flown away. There are numerous steps to go through to get that aircraft in the air, and the must be deliberate and done in a specific order. Simply picking up a checklist won't do it.

Starting with other aircraft operating at SeaTac to inbound and outbound aircraft to people on the ground, this act was not like a typical suicide. I've seen quite a few, and have scraped the remains of blown apart skulls and other pieces up from suicides; this wasn't what most people do, which is harm to themselves. There are cases where people do worse; the German Wings pilot springs to mind...but the notion that people would give this guy a pass is sickening.

You wouldn't give a suicide bomber a pass, who terrorizes and puts innocents in danger. This guy did nothing less. He terrorized and put tens of thousands in danger; millions at risk. This isn't tragic at all. Stupid. Criminal. Just shy of terroristic. Asinine.

But not tragic.

It wasn't a matter of big balls, or moxy and this is't a case of tragedy, rest in peace. This asshole doesn't deserve a break, and it's rather disappointing to hear from those who would grant him one. He became a self-clearing problem, with the only benefit that he took no one else with.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post