SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Charleston City Council considering apology resolution for slave trade
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Charleston City Council considering apology resolution for slave trade Login/Join 
Picture of nojoy
posted
https://www.postandcourier.com...51-dfc0e2ef034f.html

Spearheaded by Councilman William Dudley Gregorie. Wants an office on racial reconciliation. Me thinks he's doing this for political gain. Hmmm
For those that live in Charleston, what say you?

Posts: 1292 | Location: Marysville, WA 98271 | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Cool. Please let me know when they will be ready with an apology to me for what those Visigoths did to my ancestors. How much should I expect my check to be?

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
"The child will not share the guilt of the parent, nor will the parent share the guilt of the child" Ezk 18:20

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11278 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nojoy
posted Hide Post
The hotel I stay at-DoubleTree-is located near Market Street. I'm sure that will need to be re-named. Razz

Posts: 1292 | Location: Marysville, WA 98271 | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Virtue-signalling with a capital V.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
I know that some black people believe ancient Egyptians were black. Have they apologized to the Jews for enslaving them yet? That happened thousands of years before white Americans enslaved black people, so shouldn't they apologize first? You know, set an example?

Posts: 8623 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Hey, look at us attention whores. We're doing something meaningless.

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
The time window for apologies or reparations ran out about 1870, and that's being generous.

Posts: 27952 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bayouman
posted Hide Post
OK, line up all the living slaves for a group apology from the living slave owners, otherwise it is history you cannot change.

Bayouman
Never let the enemy pick the battle site.

Posts: 727 | Location: New Orleans, Louisiana  | Registered: June 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
By the way...if you wanted to mess with SJWs, you could self-identify as a slave Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by bayouman:
OK, line up all the living slaves for a group apology from the living slave owners, otherwise it is history you cannot change.

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steyn
posted Hide Post
So...

I have Iberian, black, south-slavic, Ashkenazi and native south american blood. Does anyone know how can I calculate my victimhood status?

Posts: 389 | Registered: October 12, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
You're a shoo-in Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by Steyn:
So...

I have Iberian, black, south-slavic, Ashkenazi and native south american blood. Does anyone know how can I calculate my victimhood status?

His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
There are people alive today who were affected by the "Jim Crow" laws and other government-sanctioned discrimination, but nobody is apologizing for that. And remember who enacted those.

Posts: 27952 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
Crap! I was all set for my share of reparations and then I did the Ancestry DNA test. I got no claim!

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1865 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
The right really needs to take a play from the left's rule book.

Extensive background research needs to be done on these idiots. Surely one of more of them had a slave owning ancestor. Make that public and then demand that they and their slave-owning bloodlines step down from public office.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15716 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
None of my ancestors owned slaves (no matter what color) so why would I or any in my family apologize for something we no knowledge of. But I would like an apology from Amy who broke my heart in 3rd grade (I really love that girl). Just my two cents. Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
As long as people, and cultures, blame others for their own self induced problems, their problems will only get worse.

And it seems to me most likely the "apology" is merely a stepping stone for "money". And even if they do get the money, they won't solve their problems.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fiasconva:
Crap! I was all set for my share of reparations and then I did the Ancestry DNA test. I got no claim!

I am about as whitey mcwhitebread as one can be , however I show less that 1% Senegalese and less than 1% Asian, based on my DNA

where's my check?

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If the current Charleston City Council owns slaves, they should apologize, otherwise...

Posts: 1065 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As I have said here before, my great grandfather became an invalid as a result of his service in The Union Army, partly on behalf of the slaves. Please put my substantial check in the mail as soon as possible. I need a new Corvette. Thank you in advance.

Posts: 1500 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post