SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    CD/DVD Indexing/Cataloging Software?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CD/DVD Indexing/Cataloging Software? Login/Join 
Picture of fpuhan
posted
I know that CDs and DVDs are rapidly becoming obsolete. That's probably why it's so hard to find software that will index and catalog them.

Years ago, I was the "disk librarian" for a Macintosh user group when 3-/12" disks were the standard. I used software to index, catalog and print out information on the various pieces of software (shareware, trialware, etc.) that we would offer to our members.

I have a large collection of photos, videos, music files, tax records and so on, stored on CDs. I'd like to keep a searchable catalog of my disks, and I'm having a hard time finding something that suits my needs.

I'd prefer Macintosh, free/shareware or free trial, automatic indexing (reads the disk when it is inserted) and allows for searching using multiple terms, wildcards, etc.

I found free program for Windows called Cathy that might do the trick. It doesn't auto-read, but failing to find something else, I might find an old Windows computer for this purpose.

Suggestions?

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
You might look at Jriver Media Center.
I rip all my CD's and that is what use.
I have about 600 CD's done so far.
Keeps track of everything and I can stream them anytime I want.
Mine is Windows but they do Mac too.

Posts: 22904 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Wouldn’t a spreadsheet work? A row for each disk. Columns for composer, performer, genre, physical storage location, etc.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8947 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post