SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I need a Philly Cheesesteak Recipe
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I need a Philly Cheesesteak Recipe Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
BBQpitboys.com that's all I have too say!

Posts: 636 | Registered: February 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Ok, my contribution. It was fun, and I need to get my times a little more dialed in. But the best part of this training evolution? Twisted Sister came up on the music que Smile

"You sit in here all day and play that sick, replusive, electric twanger, I carried an M16!" lol

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
Ok, my contribution. It was fun, and I need to get my times a little more dialed in. But the best part of this training evolution? Twisted Sister came up on the music que Smile

"You sit in here all day and play that sick, replusive, electric twanger, I carried an M16!" lol

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/V9AbeALNVkk" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

Looks excellent! If you're trying to get a little more authentic, chop the meat up way more next time!

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Looks excellent! If you're trying to get a little more authentic, chop the meat up way more next time!

This for sure.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Lol yea I need to invest in some good knives. My dull ass dollar general knives couldn't cut my finger off if I tried.

Kinda makes it hard to slice up steak.

And thanks! It was yummy Smile

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm thinking mayo or perhaps a garlic-mayo as well.

Was mayo used on the original Philly cheese steak? I've never had one with mayo on it.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8752 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
quote:
Lol yea I need to invest in some good knives. My dull ass dollar general knives couldn't cut my finger off if I tried.

Kinda makes it hard to slice up steak.

And thanks! It was yummy Smile

Our local pizza shop hispanics (the best damn Italian cooks I've met) use spatulas believe it or not.

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AZSigs:
quote:
I'm thinking mayo or perhaps a garlic-mayo as well.

Was mayo used on the original Philly cheese steak? I've never had one with mayo on it.

My god no. Mayo is for hoagies, not cheesesteaks.

├┼┼╕
246R

Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
mbinky

That looks really Delicious.

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Who was the member that posted those disturbingly delicious photos of the cheese steak in the cast iron? Mmmm I am off to the Food Lion!

Gonna try my best!

That might might have been me.
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...510062524#5510062524
Looks like you nailed it.

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12930 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Trophy Husband
Picture of C L Wilkins
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AirmanJeff:
If quality meat isn't available, use steakumms, fry up some onions & green peppers, use whatever cheese you prefer (I'm a provolone guy myself), add in some mayo & pepper, throw it all on a sub roll, and you're good to go.

That'll work. We like to use Cheese-wiz or provolone.

CW

Posts: 3200 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
My turn:

American, Paper Jack, and Extra Sharp Cheddar. (What I already had in fridge)

Two ribeyes, fat removed, sliced thin then shredded slightly.

Peppers and Onion

Grilled and set aside to wait for meat.

Sliced ribeye cooked halfway on grill.

Dumped meat from grill basket to hot pan and added precooked pepper mix.

Prior to adding cheese.

French loaf cut to form concave meaty cheesy channel.

After wrapping in foil and baking per Mars' recipe.

I know I judging my own work here, but I gave it five stars.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
I have a Restaurant Depot membership so I buy shaved steak by the 10lb box, and I'll generally use sharp white cheddar in it.

Posts: 6337 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ryan81986:
I have a Restaurant Depot membership so I buy shaved steak by the 10lb box, and I'll generally use sharp white cheddar in it.

I am guessing this is frozen? I was going to buy some shredded meat last night for mine. Then I read packaging. First strike did not specify what kind of meat it was, I wanted ribeye. Second strike was previously frozen and looked like it was originally packaged in January if I was reading date code correctly.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cmr076:

My god no. Mayo is for hoagies, not cheesesteaks.

Mayo really isn't traditional for hoagies either, it was always oil on a Philly Italian hoagie.

I give credit to the rise of other types of hoagies (and Wawa for adding it as a choice along with mustard!) such as ham, turkey, tuna etc that mayo became associated with hoagies.

Don't get me wrong, I love mayo on even on an Italian hoagie instead of oil sometimes! And most definitely for me on the best of both worlds sandwich, the mighty CHEESESTEAK HOAGIE!

(this pic is missing loads of thinly sliced raw onions and hot peppers though)

Posts: 33604 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Recipe for authentic Philly Cheese Steak

1) get out credit card
2) go online, check flights to Philly
3) book flight
4) fly to philly
5) uber/cab/rental car to Pats or Genos
6) eat one at Pats
7) eat one at Ginos
8) Uber back to airport
9) fly home.

Posts: 23241 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

1) get out credit card
3) book flight
4) fly to philly
6) eat one at Pats
7) eat one at Ginos
8) Uber back to airport
9) fly home.

replace pats and genos with some of the suggestions a few of us locals made earlier in the thread, and you're onto something.

├┼┼╕
246R

Scientific Beer Geek
posted Hide Post
Pat's and Geno's are OK but they are really for the tourists. There are plenty of better restaurants in Philly or its suburbs. I like Tony Luc's and I have had a really good steak at Rick's in the Redding Terminal Market. Ricks is an offshoot of Pats but the steak I had was excellent.

Like others have posted:

Ultra thinly sliced rib eye, with or without onions, light salt and pepper, a bit of oil for frying and to keep everything moist. Chop the thin steak right on the cook top using only the spatulas. Place the cheese whiz or provolone on top near the end of the cook to melt it into the meat. Serve on an Amoroso's or similar style steak roll and enjoy. Peppers and other veggies are not traditional for a Philly Cheesesteak but go for whatever you enjoy!

You guys have now made me hungry. Razz

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy." - Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2078 | Location: Philadelphia Suburbs | Registered: August 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

1) get out credit card
3) book flight
4) fly to philly
6) eat one at Pats
7) eat one at Ginos
8) Uber back to airport
9) fly home.

No! Both of those places are CRAP and only for tourists and drunken college kids at 2 am

There's a LOT of better places in Philly to get a cheesesteak at like Tony Luke's.

While you are there, you may as well stop into DiNic's and get yourself the roast pork sandwich with garlickly, olive-oily broccoli rabe and sharp provolone too!

Posts: 33604 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
Alright ... it’s been 8 months since I started this thread and I never got around to making this sandwich that I wanted. Thanks for all the input.

Today ... tonight. This evening, it’s taking place.

Posts: 5070 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post