SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I need a Philly Cheesesteak Recipe
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I need a Philly Cheesesteak Recipe Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Yeah Seattle area. I don't know of any local either.

Ever get a Blazing Bagels pastrami sandwich? Might need a nap afterwards but they're good.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
This evening, it’s taking place.

With 8 mo. lead up, it better be out of this world! Hope it turns out well.

Awesome thread, glad your revived it, can't wait to see your pics.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I ate a cheesesteak in Philly and then went to the Franklin Fountain for a treat afterwards. It was a good sandwich but it wasn't something I would put as the best.

Best Philly I've had was actually in El Paso at a little sandwich shop called Maracas by the outlet mall. Thin sliced thin ribeye with mushrooms, onions and cheese. It was provolone. Incredible flavor he infused into those sandwiches. He ended up selling the shop and moving to Austin after his wife got a corporate job in Austin.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JJexp
posted Hide Post
My favorite cheese wiz for cheesesteaks is the sharp cheddar that comes in the spray can in the cracker aisle. So unhealthy, but so delicious!

Posts: 451 | Location: Hatboro, PA | Registered: May 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:
Originally posted by BlackAgnes:
You had me until you said, "MAYO"!!

Cheez-Whiz only!!

Enjoy!

Actually I always ask for mayo on my cheesesteak hoagies here in the Philly area. An ultra-delicious melding of the best of both worlds, a cheesesteak hoagie with mayo, lettuce, tomato, raw onion and hot and sweet(pickled) peppers is the best thing ever.

quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
Whiz or otherwise? What say you? (everyone)

Whiz is kind of a tourist trap thing. A good cheesesteak has white American or provolone on it, I prefer American.

Me too, White American from the deli. Land O' Lakes makes very good white American.....I like steak, mushrooms, green peppers, onions on a toasted roll.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Copefree:
The craving is intense and I need to make one that's really good.

What you got?!

Y'know how when you order these things at restaurants or food stands, the beef is super super thin and almost all chopped-up-like? That's what I want.

It needs to be oozing with cheese and I'm thinking mayo or perhaps a garlic-mayo as well. Served piping hot.

UPDATE: 8 months later, and I finally made one!

And it was amazing.

I used thiny sliced beef from Trader Joe’s, green bell pepper, sweet onion, two slices of provolone cheese, and a slice of Colby-jack (just because).

It was EXACTLY what I needed. I think I might make another one tomorrow.

^ update in OP. Made it tonight. And it was excellent.

Posts: 5070 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
And I made another one last night.

Posts: 5070 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:

Best Philly I've had

As someone who grew up in the Philadelphia metropolitan area, I have to say it's so funny hearing people from other parts of the country calling a cheesesteak a "Philly". No one here ever uses that term; it's just a "cheesesteak" or a "steak".

Posts: 33602 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:

Best Philly I've had

As someone who grew up in the Philadelphia metropolitan area, I have to say it's so funny hearing people from other parts of the country calling a cheesesteak a "Philly". No one here ever uses that term; it's just a "cheesesteak" or a "steak".

I sometimes call them that. Mostly I call it a steak and cheese though. I don't consider what they serve at Genos or Pat's a very good Philly, cheestake, or steak and cheese.

If you like them great, I'll pass. Plus no freaking way I'd ever get in the lines.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Mostly I call it a steak and cheese though.

Another term you'll never, ever hear in Philly! Big Grin

Posts: 33602 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
What kind of oil did you use in the pan, Copefree?

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
Word to the wise, if you have a business, any business, you can get a free restaurant depot membership and buy 10lbs of shaved steak for around $20-40 depending on the brand. As well as anything else in bulk you might want.

Posts: 6337 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
I will post my results tonight!

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."

Posts: 1721 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
I did not slice my ribeye thin enough. But for my first try this went very well. It tasted very good!

https://imgur.com/a/k7QUH

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."

Posts: 1721 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Originally posted by ryan81986:
I have a Restaurant Depot membership so I buy shaved steak by the 10lb box, and I'll generally use sharp white cheddar in it.

I am guessing this is frozen? I was going to buy some shredded meat last night for mine. Then I read packaging. First strike did not specify what kind of meat it was, I wanted ribeye. Second strike was previously frozen and looked like it was originally packaged in January if I was reading date code correctly.

Correct, frozen. Most of it is unless you want to pay $8-10/lb or more.

Posts: 6337 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post