SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I need a Philly Cheesesteak Recipe
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I need a Philly Cheesesteak Recipe Login/Join 
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
Get your butcher to slice RibEye paper thin.

A proper Philly cheesesteak only consists of steak, onions and either cheesewiz/mozzarella/provolone. The use of a correct steak roll is also important. Suitable steak rolls are NOT sliced all the way through, but cut like a hot dog bun.

Anything else is for tourists and/or unwashed mouthbreathers from Joisey.Smile

Spoken like someone who might know about what he speaks of.

Green pepper and mushrooms are also acceptable.
When you have got the meat and any extras mostly cooked, shape it on the griddle in the size of the roll, put the cheese on top, and then cover it with the roll. (This is to Jonny 3eagles point about the roll not being sliced all the way through)
Let the roll steam over top of the meat, when ready flip the whole thing right side up. The roll should be soft inside and crusty on the outside.

And I can',t believe that sgalczyn would send you to genos. Just wrong.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3851 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
Tony Luke's also had great pork with sharp provolone sandwiches, the last time I had one.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Tucson Arizona folks, check out Frankies South Philly cheese steaks on N. Campbell. He used to import his rolls from Amoroso bakery in Philly. He also imported Wise potato chips. Freakin' excellent.

My bosses office was just up the street, and I enjoyed my trips to the big city, especially for lunch at Frankies, and dinner at "his" club $$$$. For Tucson folks, his house was on Sun Cloud Place Red Face

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Traveler
Picture of Sweden
posted Hide Post
This is one of my favorites:

Grilled tenderloin cheesesteak

Posts: 2484 | Location: CO | Registered: April 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wreckless
posted Hide Post
I've had steaks at all the top and not so top places in Philly. I found the best for my tastes is Gaetanos in South Jersey. FWIW.

La Dolce Vita

Posts: 543 | Location: SW Florida & SNJ | Registered: July 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
quote:
Originally posted by TigerDore:
quote:
Geno's? Yuck! That place is for tourists and campaigning politicians. Pat's blows too.

Thanks for this info, RAMIUS. Is there a place that you would recommend?

John's Roast Pork, Oregon Steaks, Jim's on south street, or if you find yourself in the north east, Steve's Steaks is my favorite.

Or you could make a day of trying them all Wink

I will absolutely second Steve's.

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Neel
posted Hide Post
Thinly sliced beef, face, rump whatever, when sliced that thin, anything will do.
Julliened peppers, onion, sliced mushrooms.
Start the beef in the pan or on the griddle, when 1/2 cooked add vegetables continue to cook, season with salt pepper, a dash of tabsco, and some worcestershire.
Slice open a hogie roll, or baguette, fill the bread with the meat, top with shredded cheddar.
Place into a hot oven or broiler to melt the cheese.

I know a couple places use cheese whiz, but I like cheese, so shredded cheddar is my preference.

Posts: 559 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: May 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Neel:
Thinly sliced beef, face, rump whatever, when sliced that thin, anything will do.
Julliened peppers, onion, sliced mushrooms.
Start the beef in the pan or on the griddle, when 1/2 cooked add vegetables continue to cook, season with salt pepper, a dash of tabsco, and some worcestershire.
Slice open a hogie roll, or baguette, fill the bread with the meat, top with shredded cheddar.
Place into a hot oven or broiler to melt the cheese.

I know a couple places use cheese whiz, but I like cheese, so shredded cheddar is my preference.

That's some sort of beef sandwich but it's not a cheesesteak. Real cheesesteaks use ribeye and nothing else.

Posts: 33808 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
^ okay, now we're onto something.

Posts: 5072 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FenderBender:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by TigerDore:
quote:
Geno's? Yuck! That place is for tourists and campaigning politicians. Pat's blows too.

Thanks for this info, RAMIUS. Is there a place that you would recommend?

John's Roast Pork, Oregon Steaks, Jim's on south street, or if you find yourself in the north east, Steve's Steaks is my favorite.

Or you could make a day of trying them all Wink

I will absolutely second Steve's.

I'll third Steve's. Every time I'm in Philly I try a new place and Steve's has been the best by a long shot so far.

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of billnchristy
posted Hide Post
Around here they sell carne picata meat, it's perfect.

------------------------------------
My books on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/William-...id=1383531982&sr=8-1
email if you'd like auto'd copies.

Posts: 17916 | Location: Lawrenceville GA | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BlackAgnes:
You had me until you said, "MAYO"!!

Cheez-Whiz only!!

Enjoy!

heck neither.....WHITE AMERICAN cheese.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As mentioned... paper thin ribeye. Portion to about 6oz....separate portions with parchment paper... FREEZE.

Place onions etc on griddle with little bit of oi, cook a little

While those are sautéing place a frozen portion of meat on top.. this will cook the meat slowly and allows the veg under to cook through, season with salt and pepper

When the meat has cooked through. Chop all together while on the griddle

Top with Provalone and/or Mozzarella use something to cover, squirt a little water on the griddle under the cover let the steam melt the cheese (one can use cheese whiz, apply when bunned, not my preference)

Uncover when melted, place in bun

Prepped, cooked and served 1000's this way while working at Generous George's in Alexandria during the 80's

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6226 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I think all of the Generous George's went out of business. There might be one in Herndon still? The Alexandria one was a casualty of construction I think.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
I think all of the Generous George's went out of business. There might be one in Herndon still? The Alexandria one was a casualty of construction I think.

I was at the original on Duke St. Its been gone for a while

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6226 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just tried Marzy's recipe. I have to say this was one of the best I have tried. Never going to eat a store bought one again. Thanks for the recipe.

Woooo! That was good.

It's all about clean living. Just do the right thing, and karma will help with the rest.

Posts: 1113 | Location: The Republic of Texas | Registered: April 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
My wife and I made Kobe beef ribeye cheesesteaks just the other day. We had some extra large Amoroso rolls, thinly sliced beef sprinkled with salt & pepper and (b/c there was no whiz in the house) settled on Wegmans white American. First on the grill were the chopped onions and green peppers, pushed to the side of the grill once the onions were partially translucent so the seasoned Kobe meat could be cooked and when 90% complete the cheese was placed on top to melt, followed shortly by the roll to scoop all the ingredients up (meat + grilled ogres). Washed it down with an ice-cold, long neck sugarcane-based Coke like when I was a kid.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
My girlfriend is from north Philly here is what she says....

We don't use the cheese wiz! Ours consist of:

Ribeye steak shaved
Onion
Melted American cheese (white American of course)
Tallaricos steak sandwich sauce (I order it from amazon)
Thinly sliced pickles
Hot peppers if you like
And a nice crusty roll toasted

Yummmmm!

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3693 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Who was the member that posted those disturbingly delicious photos of the cheese steak in the cast iron? Mmmm I am off to the Food Lion!

Gonna try my best!

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I just made it a couple of days ago for the first time.
I sautéed mushrooms, white onion with garlic, green bell pepper and some of my "dry-aged" Cool end cut of beef tenderloin slice thin of course.
Mixed in some deli-cut White American Cheese and a bit of Provolone then threw it on some fresh bakery hoagie rolls.
It came out great, only next time I will use a higher meat to "other-stuff" ratio.
It still tasted fantastic but being a first time event I will get it better next time.

Posts: 22907 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post