SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I need a Philly Cheesesteak Recipe
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I need a Philly Cheesesteak Recipe Login/Join 
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted
The craving is intense and I need to make one that's really good.

What you got?!

Y'know how when you order these things at restaurants or food stands, the beef is super super thin and almost all chopped-up-like? That's what I want.

It needs to be oozing with cheese and I'm thinking mayo or perhaps a garlic-mayo as well. Served piping hot.

UPDATE: 8 months later, and I finally made one!

And it was amazing.

I used thiny sliced beef from Trader Joe’s, green bell pepper, sweet onion, two slices of provolone cheese, and a slice of Colby-jack (just because).

It was EXACTLY what I needed. I think I might make another one tomorrow.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Copefree,

Posts: 5071 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You had me until you said, "MAYO"!!

Cheez-Whiz only!!

Enjoy!

"Dead Midgets Handled With No Questions Asked"

Posts: 687 | Registered: March 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
I'm kind of a mayo whore. I'm talking like just enough to know it's there.

Posts: 5071 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
https://goo.gl/maps/NRLVAVjAqRF2

Oh...I thought you said directions..................

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4570 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If quality meat isn't available, use steakumms, fry up some onions & green peppers, use whatever cheese you prefer (I'm a provolone guy myself), add in some mayo & pepper, throw it all on a sub roll, and you're good to go.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Here's mine. I always cook my steaks med rare, and cook bigger ones because they are easier, means there is always leftovers.

I take the leftovers and slice them as thin as I possibly can. Then I take peppers and onions and sauté (if you can call it that) them on med to med-hi on stove top using very little vegetable oil (don't use oil with low smoke point). This is way hotter than a sauté, cook enough till you start to see some blackening around the edges.

Turn it up to HI and throw the meat in as soon as you see the slight blackening on vegies. Cook until you see the meat turn from redish to well done. Serve immediately.

I will slightly toast buns put mayo on one side of the bread (both if you are a mayo fan) and cover both slightly toasted halves with cheese. Put that back in the toaster oven with it off and it will finish melting the cheese. I use whatever cheese I have laying around, usually a mix that one part of it is either American or very mild cheddar. I start toasting the rolls in the middle of the veggie cooking time.

Not a Philly Cheese Steak recipe, but a damn good way use leftover steaks.

I actually made a silly update post in the what's your deal Follow up on threads. Got step by step pics for you. That time when I made it, I cut the peppers/onions very small cubes so I added meat first.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20804 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sgalczyn:
https://goo.gl/maps/NRLVAVjAqRF2

Oh...I thought you said directions..................

Geno's? Yuck! That place is for tourists and campaigning politicians. Pat's blows too.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
Geno's? Yuck! That place is for tourists and campaigning politicians. Pat's blows too.

Thanks for this info, RAMIUS. Is there a place that you would recommend?

Posts: 8610 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Get your butcher to slice RibEye paper thin.

A proper Philly cheesesteak only consists of steak, onions and either cheesewiz/mozzarella/provolone. The use of a correct steak roll is also important. Suitable steak rolls are NOT sliced all the way through, but cut like a hot dog bun.

Anything else is for tourists and/or unwashed mouthbreathers from Joisey.Smile

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
Get your butcher to slice RibEye paper thin.

A proper Philly cheesesteak only consists of steak, onions and either cheesewiz/mozzarella/provolone. The use of a correct steak roll is also important. Suitable steak rolls are NOT sliced all the way through, but cut like a hot dog bun.

Anything else is for tourists and/or unwashed mouthbreathers from Joisey.Smile

This is a wise man.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20804 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2JUS9V8fuI

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34104 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the same vein- How about a sausage and peppers recipe like they made on the Seaside NJ Boardwalk?

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13397 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TigerDore:
quote:

John's Roast Pork, Oregon Steaks, Jim's on south street, or if you find yourself in the north east, Steve's Steaks is my favorite.

Or you could make a day of trying them all Wink

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:

John's Roast Pork, Oregon Steaks, Jim's on south street, or if you find yourself in the north east, Steve's Steaks is my favorite.

Thank you, sir!

Posts: 8610 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Whiz or otherwise? What say you? (everyone)

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
[FLASH_VIDEO
/FLASH_VIDEO]

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2JUS9V8fuI

I'm trying the way he finishes them off. I like the gooey cheese mix idea, and thing with the foil and oven would make for nice crispy outside and soft inside.

He said he uses flank or flat iron steaks. If you make at home and don't use thinly sliced ribeye (better choice) use the flat iron. It's a much more tender cut of meat. When you slice it across the grain it's perfect for something like this.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

posted Hide Post
There's always:

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13397 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Do they really put cheeze wizz on them? I have never heard that. I thought it was just melted regular cheese.

I'm a complete heathern, I like chicken with jalapeños and mayo. Smile

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by TigerDore:
quote:

Tony Luke's is also excellent, and if you're in the suburbs, pudges is amazing.

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BlackAgnes:
You had me until you said, "MAYO"!!

Cheez-Whiz only!!

Enjoy!

Actually I always ask for mayo on my cheesesteak hoagies here in the Philly area. An ultra-delicious melding of the best of both worlds, a cheesesteak hoagie with mayo, lettuce, tomato, raw onion and hot and sweet(pickled) peppers is the best thing ever.

quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
Whiz or otherwise? What say you? (everyone)

Whiz is kind of a tourist trap thing. A good cheesesteak has white American or provolone on it, I prefer American.

Posts: 33750 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post