SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Let's talk western boots. What are you folks liking?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Let's talk western boots. What are you folks liking? Login/Join 
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Yarchin:
quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:
I like wearing boots, but I've not done so lately since (IMO) fat guys in boots look like a pig on stilts, and my gut has become prominent. I also favor a shorter heel, mostly for the same pig on stilts analogy.

When I get rid of it, I've been eyeing the Ariat square toe boots in distressed leather. Several folks I know wear them, and they all swear by the comfort and durability as a work boot. I personally prefer an understated boot, and the larger scales, etc. just don't flatter my foot. That said, might look into Lucchese next time I have time to kill.

Check these out.

http://www.sheplers.com/Lucche...de=47&sizeCode=912EE

One thing to be aware of, many of the Lucchese 1883 line are made in Mexico, vs. the Classics line that are all made in El Paso.

From what I've seen they seem to be of similar quality, barring the Classics's use of fancier leather from all kinds of different animals.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Report This Post
Picture of LH2
posted Hide Post
What about arch support? Are there any western boots with good arch support?

I need it or I start to have trouble with plantar fasciitis.

Posts: 3443 | Location: Arizona | Registered: September 28, 2005Report This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Yarchin:
quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:
I like wearing boots, but I've not done so lately since (IMO) fat guys in boots look like a pig on stilts, and my gut has become prominent. I also favor a shorter heel, mostly for the same pig on stilts analogy.

When I get rid of it, I've been eyeing the Ariat square toe boots in distressed leather. Several folks I know wear them, and they all swear by the comfort and durability as a work boot. I personally prefer an understated boot, and the larger scales, etc. just don't flatter my foot. That said, might look into Lucchese next time I have time to kill.

Check these out.

http://www.sheplers.com/Lucche...de=47&sizeCode=912EE

One thing to be aware of, many of the Lucchese 1883 line are made in Mexico, vs. the Classics line that are all made in El Paso.

From what I've seen they seem to be of similar quality, barring the Classics's use of fancier leather from all kinds of different animals.

My criteria was made in the US. You can tell by the stock numbers. Made in Mexico stock numbers start with M.

One warning. avoid Shepler's. I should have done a basic google search before I gave them my money. The style I bought said 'in stock, ships in two business days'.

After hearing nothing for a week I contacted them via email. After 3 days without hearing anything I called their 800 number....all day. They don't answer the phone or return voice mail messages. Finally I got an email, boots are backordered for 3 weeks. I responded with a request to cancel. They said 'that is up to the manufacturer. After that they stopped dealing with me, forcing me to have my bank deal with it.

After reading reviews about this place I'm shocked they are still in business.

Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LH2:

Respectfully, you live in Arizona, not Ohio. Go try on a bunch of boots and find the ones that fit your arch. You don't say where you live, but there are urban Western Wear stores in both Phoenix and Tucson--you know that.

Want to spend a fun day looking at boots? Head to Wickenburg and try on boots at Ben's Saddlery--say hello to Bruce for me. Then go to Double D and see what they have. Lunch at Bar 7 and dinner at Anita's Cochina. It'll be a great day.

Posts: 13255 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Report This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LH2:

I wear prescribed insoles with all my shoes but my boots and normally I am fine

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Report This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
I like the US made Justin's.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Report This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Jeff, I like those Luchesse's you got. Classy, not flashy.

Nukeandpave, thanks for that style number.

I think I'm going to see about ordering another pair for my birthday in a few months. Something that will be a direct result of this thread. Trying to narrow it down.

The Ariats are my daily wear now. I wear the distressed brown to work, I wear them around the house. I'll take them off for a while when I get home and then put them back on because they're comfortable and preferable to walking barefoot on solid hardwood fooor often as not. I wear the black ones around town and they're just as comfortable. I wore sneakers today for the first time in weeks and it felt really weird. I think I'm a convert.

Posts: 17124 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Report This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Bought my first pair of cowboy boots tonight - Lucchese ostrich. Here is stock photo:

I used this thread as research prior to shopping .

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23249 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Report This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Niiiiiiiiiiiiiice.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Report This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
Nice! Those are on my list.

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Very nice, tatortodd! The ostrich looks good with a square toe.

Posts: 17124 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Report This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
You be stylin'

Posts: 13255 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Report This Post
Picture of heatinajeep
posted Hide Post
Double H is my work boot of choice.

They look good too Smile

Posts: 1976 | Location: Moody, AL | Registered: February 10, 2009Report This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
Very nice, tatortodd! The ostrich looks good with a square toe.
I was about to give up on Lucchese and the last style to try was square toe. Not only does my foot feel better, it's cut different in the ankle and that was the deciding factor. I really like ostrich in sienna.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23249 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Report This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
TatorTodd - nice looking boots! Reminds me I've been looking for another pair - so question for the "experts" on this thread...

Does anyone have a recommendation for a more casual style of Cowboy boot that is like the Lucchese Austin (below)? Basically a simply soft calf boot that is more casual - not a work boot but also not a stepping out boot.

Thanks in advance!

Lucchese Austin:

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by heatinajeep:
Double H is my work boot of choice.

They look good too Smile

I have just discovered them as well. I have owned cowboy boots over the years, but they have never fit that great until the square toed variety became more popular. I have a narrow heel, and when they fit there, the pointed toes would be too tight. The square toe solves that.

Honestly, the most comfortable boots I have had in a while are a pair of low end waterproof Durangos--Rebel I think. I would wear them everyday if I could.

7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I cant hardly stand pointed toed boots but they do look good on others. I have all my life liked the Chippewa Arroyos as the nicest boots for casual or jeans boots. The Arroyos come in several colors, very high quality.

http://www.chippewaboots.com/f.../field/arroyos/29405

http://www.chippewaboots.com/f.../field/arroyos/29409

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Report This Post
Picture of side_shot
posted Hide Post
new england shit kickers
hosting images

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Report This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
Bought my first pair of cowboy boots tonight - Lucchese ostrich. Here is stock photo:

I used this thread as research prior to shopping .

Tator, those look great!

Since you mentioned first boots I will say be sure you get boot jeans too. Your standard jeans will likely be to short to look like this isn't your first pair. I like wranglers but also have Levi and have had Carhatt. The key is to have some wrinkle in them when standing. You will love those Luccese's!!

Posts: 3499 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Rios of Mercedes fit me better than the Luccese's. Rios also make Anderson Bean which is generally cheaper.