SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Let's talk western boots. What are you folks liking?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Let's talk western boots. What are you folks liking? Login/Join 
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
$1300

Damn.

Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodman:
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
Lucchese, if the wallet permits.

Yup. The pair I want are under $600, which is cheap for handmade.

This guy here, Jerry Hill, knows boots. North Scottsdale, Saba's Western Wear.

Thanks for that I have been meaning to get up there....now I know I will.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Report This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dewhorse:

Thanks for that I have been meaning to get up there....now I know I will.

Jerry was Saba's general manager for five years, a job he took in retirement. He's 78, a widower, and a heck of a nice guy. A more informed salesman you'll not find. A few more pics of Jerry.

Three days a week the spry and smiling Jerry Hill brings it all together for hundreds of clients. His understanding of the American boot history, materials, tanning, construction, and especially fitting, make every browsing experience remarkable.

SABA'S WESTERN WEAR - NORTH SCOTTSDALE
7231 E Shea Blvd, Scottsdale, AZ 85260
(480) 948-9201

Gone to the Dogs
Picture of tomgun
posted Hide Post
Saba's looks like a great store that I'd love to visit, and it would sure be great to visit with Jerry!
I stopped by Country Square yesterday and it looks like they're moving out of the store they've been in for a long time.
The cattle dog is still there though, and I almost pulled the trigger on some made in USA square toe Nocona's, I'm feeling the need to get back down there and buy those thanks to this thread!

Posts: 1696 | Location: Lake Tapps, WA. | Registered: June 08, 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Another Lucchese fan here.
I also like Double H.
The wife loves Old Gringos (that hurts the wallet lol).

Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
Once again, Sigforum has me spending money. Big Grin Bought a pair of American made Nocona buffalo hide boots yesterday. I noticed not all their boots are made in the US.

Fit varies WIDELY between brands, and even by material in a given brand. Tony Lamas were too narrow, Luchesse... just didn't feel right.

interesting leather and rubber sole.

Posts: 11507 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
This thread made me break down and order my second set of frye boots.

My old once are 40 years old. Even if the new ones last half that it will not matter.

I ordered them yesterday with free two day shipping and they came today.

They are a bit narrower than my old ones but should break in fine.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Report This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
On a side note ;
I hit my local haunt for boots & leather related items and finally found some "Salt Remover" I also picked up some leather stretch.
It's nice when you have a local shop that carries items for boot care.
Without that salt remover there are boots I will not wear in the winters here.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Report This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nukeandpave:

Never seen anything like that. What do you suppose is the reason for the leather edge?

Posts: 13237 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Report This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
quote:

Never seen anything like that. What do you suppose is the reason for the leather edge?

I watched a youtube video of boot manufacturing and they were making boots with these soles. I wondered what advantage this sole would have over a full rubber sole. I've concluded it is more style than function - It looks better in the store than a full rubber sole.

Posts: 7451 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Report This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Nukeandpave, I really like those! May I ask what style number they are?

quote:
Originally posted by tomgun:
Saba's looks like a great store that I'd love to visit, and it would sure be great to visit with Jerry!
I stopped by Country Square yesterday and it looks like they're moving out of the store they've been in for a long time.
The cattle dog is still there though, and I almost pulled the trigger on some made in USA square toe Nocona's, I'm feeling the need to get back down there and buy those thanks to this thread!

Man, first the place in Renton a few years ago and now this. Are they just moving? Hopefully not too far.

I almost probably shouldn't ask if anything was on sale... I'll buy something. Roll Eyes

Posts: 17113 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Report This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
I didn't ask the purpose. I like the grip of a rubber sole, especially in winter. But I mostly picked these because they fit best.

Smudge, Style MD5203.

Posts: 11507 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Report This Post
Picture of dgwiggans
posted Hide Post
From looking at all these great boots in this thread, the full aroma of a boot shop just filled my brain. That's some powerful imagery.

Gone to the Dogs
Picture of tomgun
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
Man, first the place in Renton a few years ago and now this. Are they just moving? Hopefully not too far.

I almost probably shouldn't ask if anything was on sale... I'll buy something. Roll Eyes

Thankfully Country Square is just moving about 1000 feet to the north, the old Bent Bike building.
Yeah, I really hated to see Renton Western Wear go out of business, my wife and I both bought some stuff there.

Posts: 1696 | Location: Lake Tapps, WA. | Registered: June 08, 2003Report This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
quote:

I have a pair of very expensive dress shoes with soles like that. It is so that the shoes look "right" but aren't slippery.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Report This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
I like wearing boots, but I've not done so lately since (IMO) fat guys in boots look like a pig on stilts, and my gut has become prominent. I also favor a shorter heel, mostly for the same pig on stilts analogy.

When I get rid of it, I've been eyeing the Ariat square toe boots in distressed leather. Several folks I know wear them, and they all swear by the comfort and durability as a work boot. I personally prefer an understated boot, and the larger scales, etc. just don't flatter my foot. That said, might look into Lucchese next time I have time to kill.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Report This Post
Picture of dgwiggans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:
I like wearing boots, but I've not done so lately since (IMO) fat guys in boots look like a pig on stilts, and my gut has become prominent. I also favor a shorter heel, mostly for the same pig on stilts analogy.

When I get rid of it, I've been eyeing the Ariat square toe boots in distressed leather. Several folks I know wear them, and they all swear by the comfort and durability as a work boot. I personally prefer an understated boot, and the larger scales, etc. just don't flatter my foot. That said, might look into Lucchese next time I have time to kill.

From what you described, a Roper style boot might be what your looking for. It's a very popular style with a low heel & a more rounded toe (unless your set on a square toe). A very casual style that might be more to your liking. I prefer the roper style as opposed to a high bull rider heel & any boot with a pointed toe (definitely things I avoid myself, 6'2" @ 290#, no stilts for me).

------------------------------

My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:

Check these out.

http://www.sheplers.com/Lucche...de=47&sizeCode=912EE

Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
I did see these, and found a site (not this one) where I could get them for around $230 shipped:

https://www.lucchese.com/shop/boots/alan/M2662

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Report This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
Once again, SF cost me. Big Grin

These Lucchese's arrived today from Allen's in Austin. Love 'em. Really comfortable right out of the box.