SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Let's talk western boots. What are you folks liking?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Let's talk western boots. What are you folks liking? Login/Join 
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted
I've wanted a decent pair since I was a kid and was always told "your feet are growing too fast and they're too expensive, wait until you're older." And then we moved from El Paso to upstate New York. You can guess how that went.

So, a few months ago, at age 33, I decided it was finally time. Stopped in at the local western wear store (in Auburn, Wa) and spent about an hour and a half trying on absolutely everything that was even remotely in my size and almost left with nothing at all. I tried all sorts of brands and was somewhat considering a set of H&H's that were too tight in the toe. Then the clerk directed me to the far wall that featured square toe models.

It was like the heavens parted. My duck feet actually fit some of them! The winners wound up being a pair of Ariat Heritage Ropers. I was somewhat disappointed to be buying a Chinese set of boots, but dammit, they were the only ones that fit right! So I brought home the only pair in the store that fit me, in Dust Brown.

I like them a lot, and I would say they're pretty much broke in now. Super comfortable, more so than I would have imagined. So now I'm looking at picking up another pair in black. For a plain boot style, I quite like it.

What are you guys liking? I keep seeing recommendations for H&H and if I could find a pair that fits real well, I would surely love to own one.

Posts: 17114 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Report This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Lucchese, if the wallet permits. I own two pair of Justin; one pair of London Calf from 20 years ago, and one recent pair of work boots. They are nice.

I also have one pair of Lucchese. There is simply no comparison. The Lucchese are beautiful, and really fit the bottom of the foot.

I will buy more, but I have to save my nickles.

FWIW, I am buying my daughter a pair of Ariat Heritage Round Toe for Christmas.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12768 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Report This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
I ponied up on a pair of custom fit gator hide boots from Champion 25 years ago. Still wear 'em for going to town, look brand new.

On line somewhere, got a ton of hides & designs.

Posts: 9853 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Report This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Lucchese. Then, Nocona. Then, Frye.

My Nocona in lawfully-procured elephant are 30 years old and look new.

Frye can be found at many brick-mortar.

Lucchese has a line that is affordable, and also a few lines of handmade that are not so.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5050 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Report This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
Lucchese, if the wallet permits.

Oh boy, that was the one other pair that fit ok in the round toe that I couldn't remember the name of. Good Lord, they were comfortable but they were expensive! *Edit - they were these:
https://www.lucchese.com/shop/boots/carson/M1020.R4

Just past my comfort zone for a really expensive splurge on footwear, at least for a first pair. I was tempted to buy that pair, but they were two-tone glossy black lowers and grey uppers that I wasn't super wild about for the price. Had they been all black....

quote:
FWIW, I am buying my daughter a pair of Ariat Heritage Round Toe for Christmas.

Oh, nice! I think she'll be happy with them, I'm really pleased with mine so far. What finish are you getting? I saw they came in two or three types of brown and a deertan black and a solid black. I asked for either of the black types for Christmas and if I get none, I'm going to order a set. Big Grin

Posts: 17114 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Report This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Most likely the distressed brown, so that they look good with jeans.

Here are the Lucchese's

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12768 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Report This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
I like Tony Lama for daily wear. But my Lucchese ostrich leg boots are beautiful.
I have ACME , Imperial, Tony Lama, Lucchese, Ariat, Dan Post & Harley western boots.

The Ariat boots are nice in Winter & when it's wet out as they have rubber soles.

I really love my Ostrich Quill they get a lot of use as well.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Report This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:

Solid call, mine have worn in nicely and look good with jeans. They look awkward with black pants, so I just need a pair in black. Razz

quote:
Here are the Lucchese's

Whoa! Lotta nickels! Eek

Grumpy, that's a fantastic collection, there. I always loved the look of ostrich boots. Many, many Sunday Southern Baptist church services in a little town a half hour outside El Paso growing up with my grandparents, and all the men wore their Sunday boots and bolos and hats. My grandfather would wear a number of different pairs of boots that look like some of yours. There was an ostrich pair he had that really made an impression on me.

Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
The last pair I bought were from White's Boot Co., sold under their Hathorn label. White's are most famous for their famous Smokejumper boot worn by a couple generations of wildland firefighters.

Their western boots are very plain jane, but are custom fit, made with quality components, and are built to last. You can order several different soles from single-ply leather to double thickness synthetic. A couple of different heel choices as well, just not the full riding heel with this particular boot. Not very dressy, but serviceable, and for custom--reasonable.

I've got a hard-to-fit narrow foot and all my boots are custom, so they get kinda spendy--Paul Bond and Wilson. Used to really like Olathe boots when they were made in Olathe, KS. After the company sold and the business moved to Texas (Larry Mahan bought them out, I believe), I couldn't wear them anymore. They downright hurt my feet. Big disappointment, those were just custom order boots for me and I had 5 or 6 pairs before things went south--both literally and figuratively

I like a lot of Lucchese boots, but they just don't fit me. I custom ordered a pair in Cody at a big boot store just a couple years ago. Really disappointed that they didn't work for me.

Posts: 13240 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Report This Post
Picture of Wishbone
posted Hide Post
A lot of Ariats are now made in China. At the very least buy some Justins. I have 4 pair of Rio of Merecedes. Just my favorite brand for fit and finish.

Posts: 946 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: November 23, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I have Lucchese's and Rod Patrick's, they both fit well and have held up just fine over the years.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Report This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I wear a pair of Burns Hippos that I bought at Burns Cowboy Shop in Park City. They're practically my daily wearers.

After that I really like my American made Noconas. I also have a couple of pairs of Justins, but they don't get worn much at all now.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Report This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
Tony Lamas for over 25 years, nothing fancy.....normally plain black, a pair of tan shoulder now. I need to try on a pair of Lucchese I keep eyeing them online but I am not gonna spend the coin without trying them on.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Report This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
I have two pairs of 30+ year old Dan Posts, one elephant, one cow hide.

I haven't bought boots in a very long time.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20320 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Report This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
The last pair I bought were from White's Boot Co., sold under their Hathorn label. White's are most famous for their famous Smokejumper boot worn by a couple generations of wildland firefighters.

Their western boots are very plain jane, but are custom fit, made with quality components, and are built to last. You can order several different soles from single-ply leather to double thickness synthetic. A couple of different heel choices as well, just not the full riding heel with this particular boot. Not very dressy, but serviceable, and for custom--reasonable.

I've got a hard-to-fit narrow foot and all my boots are custom, so they get kinda spendy--Paul Bond and Wilson. Used to really like Olathe boots when they were made in Olathe, KS. After the company sold and the business moved to Texas (Larry Mahan bought them out, I believe), I couldn't wear them anymore. They downright hurt my feet. Big disappointment, those were just custom order boots for me and I had 5 or 6 pairs before things went south--both literally and figuratively

I like a lot of Lucchese boots, but they just don't fit me. I custom ordered a pair in Cody at a big boot store just a couple years ago. Really disappointed that they didn't work for me.

I like those boots by Whites, if you don't mind what did they ran you?

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Report This Post
Picture of RobertFBurnett
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ArtieS:

Solid call, mine have worn in nicely and look good with jeans. They look awkward with black pants, so I just need a pair in black. Razz

I have a pair of Justin Ropers in a Russet Brown that looks great and feel comfortable ....but I can't bring myself to wear them because in a 13 EEE they look like pointy Elf shoes and my toes are arriving half a second before I do. Smile

Posts: 1430 | Location: San Fernando Valley, CA | Registered: January 11, 2008Report This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
^ Lmao, that's rough. I thought my options were limited because of my 11-12EE (depends on the brand, it seems). There were some I tried that fit that, yeah... Elf boots is about the only way to put it.

Looking at some of the repeat suggestions, Dan Post is a new name to me. Looks like a quality boot. The "Earp" caught my eye, looks like a similar toe shape to this boot. Not immediately obvious to me if, and which Dan Post boots are made in the US.

http://www.danpostboots.com/dp2163.html#.WF2OS33lTF4

* Edit - A number of Nocona's offerings are looking pretty good, too. Thanks for the suggestions.

Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dewhorse:
quote:

I like those boots by Whites, if you don't mind what did they ran you?

I believe they were well under $400. I want to say about $360

Posts: 13240 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Report This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
I have worn Lucchese for years. I have two pairs that has been worn so much I have had to re sole them twice. Very comfortable,good fit and well built.
I think they are made in the USA in Texas.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2571 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Report This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:

It makes them even more expensive, but you can go tour the Lucchese factory in El Paso and get them to mold your foot and make a custom last for you. They'll hold on to it for any time you order a pair of boots.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Report This Post