SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    BBQ/smoker beef roast help, please
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

BBQ/smoker beef roast help, please Login/Join 
Picture of DrDan
posted
My wife got a good deal on a "beef round sirloin tip" roast, about 13 pounds. I'll cook this on my Traeger, but I am not sure how this cut should be cooked. I think there are 2 options:

1) cook it like a brisket, i.e. 225 deg F until internal temp is about 195-200 deg F

or

2) cook it like a prime rib, higher temp to medium rare?

Any suggestions?

This space intentionally left blank.

Posts: 4875 | Location: Florida | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
#3 - It's a sirloin roast and cook it to the temp you'd cook a sirloin steak. I cooked many of these when I lived in Calgary as brisket was about $110 whereas a sirloin roast was about $22. I always smoked mine at 225F (I also smoke prime rib at 225).

Here is a sirloin roast I smoked in Calgary:

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23199 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
195-200 way too high IMO. Beef Med Rare will be about 140.

I think you could do it either way. Upside of the lower and slower will be that you'll get more smoking effect IMO but you may get the outer rings more well done while the center gets to MR or your desired doneness.

My 2 cents.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
Low and slow. It doesn't have the fat in it of a prime rib.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3774 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I had one of those a while back. I cut a couple of honking steaks off the front side and grilled them, made stew with part of the back side, and have at the tip piece from the back side that I will smoke at 225-250.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12765 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
If you cook it like a brisket it will be like shoe leather.

I'd just do hot & fast on it to med-rare.

Posts: 33750 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
low and slow,

I cooked one a few years ago, about 10 lbs,

internal temp probe, pulled at 110 , wrapped and let sit in cold oven for a few while I prepped sides,

turned out a perfect rare to slightly med rare on edges,

don't let the sirloin name fool you, if it is a true sirloin tip, it's actually a beef round tip (primal cut is called a knuckle)
it does not have much if any internal fat (just very light marble on a prime piece if you can find one)

tri tips and a few other regional names may be the cap that is on a whole sirloin,,

(Sirlion steak btw is usually called Top Sirloin )

cook it like you would a top round etc as it is more like roast beef than smoked brisket

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Salt crust and 200F. It'll take all day to get done, but oh, so tasty. The trick, explained to me by a chef, is that you do not want the juices to boil. So, anything under 212(ish) is good.

Posts: 20066 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post