SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    An Ozarkian tale....
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

An Ozarkian tale.... Login/Join 
half-genius,
half-wit
posted
There were two old geezers living in the backwoods of the Ozarks... Rufus and Clarence. They lived on opposite sides of the river, and they hated each other. Every morning, just after sun-up, Rufus and Clarence would go down to their respective sides of the river and yell at each other.
"Rufus!!" Clarence would shout, "You better thank yor lucky stars I cain't swim...else I'd swim this river and whup your ugly butt!!"
"Clarence!!!" Rufus would holler back, "You better thank YOUR lucky stars that I cain't swim... else I'd swim this river and knock your head off!!!"
This happened every morning for twenty years.
Then one day the Army Corps of Engineers comes along and builds a bridge. Still, every morning, every day for another five years this yelling across the river goes on, even with the bridge. Finally... Mrs. Rufus had had enough.
"Rufus!" she squallers one day. "I cain't take no more!! Ever day for 25 years you've been threatenin' to whup Clarence. Well, there's the bridge...have at it."
Rufus thought for a moment. Chewed his bottom lip for another moment. "Woman!" he declared, snapping his suspenders into place, "I'm gonna across that thar bridge and I'm gonna whup Clarence's butt!!!"
He walked out the door, down to the river, along the riverbank, came to the bridge, stepped up onto the bridge, walked about halfway over the bridge, looked up...and then TURNED TAIL AND RAN SCREAMING BACK TO THE HOUSE, SLAMMED THE DOOR, BOLTED THE WINDOWS, GRABBED THE SHOTGUN, AND DIVED, PANTING AND GASPING, UNDER THE BED!!!
"Rufus!" cried to the misses. "I thought you wuz gonna whup Clarence's butt!!!" "I was, woman, I was!!" he whispered. "Rufus!" cried the misses. "What in tarnation is the matter?" "Well," uttered the terror-stricken Rufus, " I went to the bridge... I stepped up on the bridge... walked halfway over the bridge...looked up..."
"And?" asked Mrs. Rufus, breathless with suspense. "And," continued Rufus, "I saw a sign that said "Clearance, 13 feet, 6 inches. He ain't never looked that big from the other side of the river!!!

tac

Posts: 11314 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
<crickets>

Posts: 4817 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Smile

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He'll be here all week. Try the veal...... Cool

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1526 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
Cool Cool

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
Smile

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7655 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did you know? The toothbrush was invented in the Ozarks region of Arkansas.

Had it been invented anywhere else it would have been called a teethbrush.

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CdVTCDdEwI

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
that's the best pickup line in an Arkansas bar: "nice tooth"

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post