SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Mysterious swarms of giant drones have started to appear in the Colorado and Nebraska night sky, and nobody knows where they're coming from
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mysterious swarms of giant drones have started to appear in the Colorado and Nebraska night sky, and nobody knows where they're coming from Login/Join 
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:

I know a guy who was alone out on his property and a drone flew over him and hovered for a while... until he got out his shot gun... The FAA eventually came and retreated the 'wounded ' drone... they did nothing to him.

What? The FAA came and got the drone? It's rare for them to make house-calls like this.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10860 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
quote:

I know a guy who was alone out on his property and a drone flew over him and hovered for a while... until he got out his shot gun... The FAA eventually came and retreated the 'wounded ' drone... they did nothing to him.

What? The FAA came and got the drone? It's rare for them to make house-calls like this.

Tall tales.

Posts: 3874 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I thought it was illegal to fly drones at night

If no one seems to know what’s going on it seems perfectly reasonable to shoot a bunch of them down and see who comes to pick up the garbage.

Since the local agencies or the FAA don’t know what’s going on then taking a preemptive strike isn’t entirely unreasonable.

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:

Not illegal -with a waiver- if flying under Part 107.

Posts: 3804 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
quote:
Originally posted by P210:
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by HRK:
I read where there are drone companies that ranchers hire to count the herds, large tracks of land and herds, drones work them in grids. Might be that going on
No real need to only do that at night if that were the case.

quote:
Thermal imaging?
Still no need to only do this at night. Especially not coming forward Immediately saying that’s what you are doing commercially when the whole country is wondering what’s going on. I just don’t like the timing of all of this with the government recently coming forward with the network drone ID that they want.

Thermal cameras work better at night when there’s no thermal radiation from the sun, making it easier to capture smaller objects that emit infra-red. What they’re using them for, who knows, but I’m pretty certain thermal cameras are involved whatever it is.

Posts: 6955 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VictimNoMore:
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:

Not illegal -with a waiver- if flying under Part 107.

Right, but from what's been said...the FAA denies knowing anything about it.... none of this makes since... the FAA is very serious about protecting air space and I'd think the government would be all over this....

Oh and my story about the guy shooting down the drone.... I heard it directly from the guy who did it while at his gun range... seems the drone operator was taking pictures of a store near by and decided to look around with it....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post

BBC video that updates locations on map of sightings. Lighting up multiple states.

Why a couple blackhawks don't track them back to their lair IDK.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5643 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
This incident occurred in the same area as the other drone sightings but there is no confirmation that this incident is related to the other drone sightings.

Video & hyperlinks at linked website article.

Pilot says drone nearly ran into Flight for Life helicopter

The medical helicopter was on its way to Fort Morgan, an area where mystery drones have been spotted in recent weeks

Author:
Marc Sallinger
Published:
10:05 PM MST January 8, 2020
Updated:

FORT MORGAN, Colo. — A Flight for Life medical helicopter pilot said they passed within 100 feet of a drone Tuesday while they were out on a routine medical call near Fort Morgan.

People across Northeast Colorado have reported seeing drones flying in the air over the past several weeks. No one knows who they belong to or what they are doing. The FAA and other government agencies are now investigating.

From their base at St. Anthony’s Hospital in Lakewood, helicopter pilot Kirk Peebles and his Flight for Life team dispatch to emergencies all across the state.

He said the mystery drones flying above the eastern plains have caused concern.

From the sky it’s difficult to spot other drones, Peebles said. When the sun sets, the team relies on night vision goggles and each other.

"I’m always on the lookout. That’s the nature of the business and what we do," said Peebles. "They’re looking for aircraft constantly for me. Things that I might not catch right away."

Peebles said the incident on Tuesday happened in a matter of seconds.

"A drone just went right under us," he said. "Probably about 100 feet."

He said it happened so fast, he couldn't even tell what kind of drone it was.

"They’re not telling anybody who they are, what they’re doing," said Peebles. "What I care about the most is our survival, our ability to do the mission, and do it quickly and safely."

Pilot says drone nearly ran into Flight for Life helicopter
The medical helicopter was on its way to Fort Morgan, an area where mystery drones have been spotted in recent weeks
LOCAL
Author:
Marc Sallinger
Published:
Updated:
FORT MORGAN, Colo. — A Flight for Life medical helicopter pilot said they passed within 100 feet of a drone Tuesday while they were out on a routine medical call near Fort Morgan.

People across Northeast Colorado have reported seeing drones flying in the air over the past several weeks. No one knows who they belong to or what they are doing. The FAA and other government agencies are now investigating.

RELATED: Task force formed to investigate mystery drones, search begins for ‘command vehicle’

RELATED: Here's who isn't responsible for the 'mysterious drones' in northeastern Colorado

From their base at St. Anthony’s Hospital in Lakewood, helicopter pilot Kirk Peebles and his Flight for Life team dispatch to emergencies all across the state.

He said the mystery drones flying above the eastern plains have caused concern.

From the sky it’s difficult to spot other drones, Peebles said. When the sun sets, the team relies on night vision goggles and each other.

"I’m always on the lookout. That’s the nature of the business and what we do," said Peebles. "They’re looking for aircraft constantly for me. Things that I might not catch right away."

Peebles said the incident on Tuesday happened in a matter of seconds.

"A drone just went right under us," he said. "Probably about 100 feet."

He said it happened so fast, he couldn't even tell what kind of drone it was.

"They’re not telling anybody who they are, what they’re doing," said Peebles. "What I care about the most is our survival, our ability to do the mission, and do it quickly and safely."

RELATED: On the hunt for drones, people find more questions than answers

RELATED: Gardner: FAA launching 'full investigation' into mystery Colorado drones

With more drones in the sky and more people wanting to see them, the number of times the helicopter gets hit with a laser has also increased.

"It actually is a sunburn on our eyes. It can damage and prevent us from ever flying again," said Peebles. "Just don’t shoot a laser at me. Don’t shoot a laser."

There are also some changing messages from law enforcement about what people should be vigilant for. The Phillips County Sheriff’s Office said earlier this week they were looking for a box truck with antennas that could be controlling the drones.

Wednesday they said the search for any command vehicles is no longer pertinent or relevant and they won’t be making any more comments on this topic.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My first best guess is the airforce out of Colorado Springs. New toys getting tested.

My second best is DoD practicing something. Wanting a mountainous region to practice in,

Drone mappings or strikes for Afghanistan?

If the FAA is not talking less chance it is commercial.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig2392:

My first best guess is the airforce out of Colorado Springs. New toys getting tested...

USAF - including the Minuteman wing at FE Warren AFB - says "It's not us."

https://gazette.com/military/c...6d-53ab1858df6a.html

Colorado drone mystery: Air Force denies involvement as investigation intensifies

By Tom Roeder tom.roeder@gazette.com
Jan 9, 2020 Updated 52 min ago

The Air Force issued a “not us” denial Thursday, a week after The Gazette questioned whether a Wyoming base was behind the mysterious sightings of drone swarms over northeastern Colorado in recent weeks.

F.E. Warren Air Force Base in Cheyenne, which controls a string of missile silos in an area where drones have been spotted, has a counterdrone program, but said it is not operating in the area where unexplained flights are being investigated.

“It is not F.E. Warren Air Force Base, nor is it any other Air Force entity,” said a base spokesman, 2nd Lt. Jon Carkhuff.

“I can confirm we do have a counter-UAS program,” Carkhuff said, using the acronym for robotic planes, unmanned aerial systems.

Colorado drone mystery: Search off for 'command vehicle'

The military has the country’s largest fleet of drones, ranging from airplane-size combat drones at Fort Carson to diminutive hobbyist machines used for some classes at the Air Force Academy.

But the Defense Department says it has nothing to do with sightings that have caused consternation and concern among law enforcement, residents and even federal agencies since Dec. 20, when the Phillips County Sheriff’s Office reported a string of drone sightings in the state’s northeastern corner.

The urgency in finding whoever is behind the drones increased this week after a report of a drone coming in dangerous proximity to a medical helicopter Wednesday evening, the Colorado Office of Emergency Management tweeted Thursday.

In response, the Colorado Department of Public Safety said it will step up its investigation, which could include the use of ground-based teams and aircraft.

After a Gazette report on the drone sightings, people from North Carolina to California have emailed in reports of drone sightings. One man from Monument sent nighttime video from Monument Hill showing blinking lights in the distance.

One issue is clear: Aircraft at night can look like a drone.

Colorado law enforcement agencies and the Federal Aviation Administration have struck out in their hunt for the origin of the drones.

In an online post Monday, the Phillips County Sheriff’s Office asked for the public’s help in finding a “command vehicle,” a closed box trailer with antennas. However, authorities have since rescinded that. You can fly drones these days with your cellphone, no big antennae required.

The drones may be harder than that to track down. In the United States, most privately owned drones fall in an unregulated place where the FAA does not tread.

While training and licensing is required for those who use drones for commercial purposes, including news organizations, hobbyists get free reign as long as they stay away from restricted space like airports and keep their drones at low altitude.

And while just having one drone was all the rage five years ago, it’s cooler these days to have a swarm.

In November, the Air Force Academy hosted a show of 500 drones that flew in precise formation and lit the night sky with lights for a high-tech version of fireworks.

None of the drones seen in northeastern Colorado, though, paused to spell out “Beat Army.”

Contact Tom Roeder: 636-0240 Twitter: @xroederx

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
“It is not F.E. Warren Air Force Base, nor is it any other Air Force entity,” said a base spokesman, 2nd Lt. Jon Carkhuff.

This is typical 'boilerplate' public relations stuff. If it were a 'black program' or something FE Warren was not aware of, the Lt could honestly believe it wasn't an Air Force program when it might be.

Plausible deniability, and all that. . .

I read that a LOT of 'UFO sightings' turned out to be the SR-71 and the CIA Oxcart planes when they were still deep black programs. Same for the F-117, which looked like no other airplane I've ever seen. . .

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21821 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Aren't we going to assume the report from a medical flight is probably accurate? If so, doesn't the have the ability to get very real once a plane gets run into?

Seems sketchy, as you'd like to think no .gov, 3-letter or otherwise, would be doing this.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12349 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I really don't get it... since they know when and approximately where these things are flying... just send up a helicopter with a guy and a shot gun and take one down...

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I really don't get it... since they know when and approximately where these things are flying... just send up a helicopter with a guy and a shot gun and take one down...

Or more likely they know exactly what’s going on and it’s none of our business.

Posts: 3874 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I doubt that any corporation would continue to operate these drones in this fashion after receiving so much negative press.
Only some sort of intelligence branch of the government would continue . I suspect that they are actually looking for something that is really important to them , that they don't want to talk about. They have lost something and they want to find it before someone else does. No idea what it might be.... but it's important.
That's my guess. mike

Posts: 1264 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
And a cigar for the gentleman. It's a wrap.

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:

Or more likely they know exactly what’s going on and it’s none of our business.

This is my guess.

WAYYYY too much press and legal attention over this for hobbyists or trolls to keep up.

The govt has a long history of covering up black projects.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21821 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mike28w:
I doubt that any corporation would continue to operate these drones in this fashion after receiving so much negative press.
Only some sort of intelligence branch of the government would continue . I suspect that they are actually looking for something that is really important to them , that they don't want to talk about. They have lost something and they want to find it before someone else does. No idea what it might be.... but it's important.
That's my guess. mike
That is a very reasonable conjecture. I agree.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Hound Dog, agreed, I hope. Otherwise, we have so little control of our airspace, that it’s ridiculous.

Now, if it was along the border, I’d say it could be cartel games.

Posts: 5706 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
It could be that they (.mil or .gov) are testing/ calibrating something. I could see a battlefield application where combining drones to do a detailed survey could come in handy.

I don't know at what level they are deployed in the military but let's say each company has a decent sized drone they deploy as needed. Several companies or even a couple of battalions might deploy all of their drones in a swarm where the data is sent to a computer facility for detailed analysis.

Who knows. I will bet that when enough of them get shot down at one time someone will take ownership.

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post