SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Mysterious swarms of giant drones have started to appear in the Colorado and Nebraska night sky, and nobody knows where they're coming from
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mysterious swarms of giant drones have started to appear in the Colorado and Nebraska night sky, and nobody knows where they're coming from Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
I’d love to shoot a drone down, but it’s pretty lame that shooting one down is a federal offense.
Do you really want a bunch of numb nuts doing mag dumps into the air with their AR's because they don't own a shotgun.

Certain laws actually do make sense.

Posts: 3874 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
quote:
I’d love to shoot a drone down, but it’s pretty lame that shooting one down is a federal offense.
Do you really want a bunch of numb nuts doing mag dumps into the air with their AR's because they don't own a shotgun.

what are you talking about? Who shot at one with an AR-15? Why are you making up some lame scenario that never happened?

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10860 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
quote:

Meh, way out in the middle of nowhere where this supposedly is, I wouldn’t mind.

Who mentioned mag dumps anyways?

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Ah there's that wonderful eons old human reaction.. "I don't know what that is, kill it!"

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:

A father shot a drone down with a shotgun. He then got sued by the drone owner.
Seems the father’s 16 year old daughter was sunbathing by their pool.
According the dad the drone was over his property, 10 feet off the ground and looking under the canopy of his neighbor.
The police arrested the father for firing a gun inside city limits. He was then sued by the drone’s owner for damage to the drone.
The “owners claimed they were getting pictures of a friend’s house.

“We even went higher, nor did we hover over their house to look in. And for sure didn’t descend down to no 10 feet, or look under someone’s canopy, or at somebody’s daughter,” said David Boggs, the owner of the drone.

Boggs says the drone was 272 feet in the air when it was shot down”

What’s the range of a shotgun fired at a high angle?

https://kfor.com/2015/08/03/it...g-over-his-daughter/

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better lucky than good
Picture of r2mach1
posted Hide Post
Lots less activity in our area tonight, maybe 4-6 visible at any one time. Still sightings in nearby towns too. A pic someone posted taken with FLIR looked similar to the one I posted last night.

Class III FFL/SOT firearms dealer

Posts: 3645 | Location: Fort Morgan, Colorado | Registered: November 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
If someone just starts dropping them from the sky like pigeons, the owner(s) will come forth pronto.

I hope someone in Colorado starts picking them off like the flies they are.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4023 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ugly Bag of
Mostly Water
Picture of ridgerat
posted Hide Post
Here's a story like what I had read about:

https://www.wired.com/story/ho...ective-intelligence/

The drones are programmed, but also "learn" the position of the other drones in the flock, and reposition as necessary.

Endowment Life Member, NRA • Member, Gun Owners of America & Member, Arizona Citizens Defense League

Posts: 2828 | Location: Tucson, AZ | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
You want to know the quickest way to determine if an Active Directory group or report is in use and who the owner is? Shut it down.

I agree, plug a few of these with some heavy shot and me thinks all will become clear quickly when whomever owns these or there proxy says to stop breaking our toys.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
“Boggs says the drone was 272 feet in the air when it was shot down”

Seems like a far distance for birdshot....90 yards....call me skeptical about how high the drone was, but that’s just me

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At the risk of starting a big argument, do you think when people started flying airplanes that folks were plotting to shoot them down basically just for existing?

The commercial and industrial drone segment is just getting going. It's going to be huge, folks. These things are massively cheaper to build, fly, and support. The applications in utility work, mapping, inspections, etc. are huge and hard to ignore.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Everybody with a cameraphone and this is the best capture we have?

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Actually it is not a federal offense as far as I can tell... just because a lawyer on TV that needs a haircut says it does not make it so.

It is illegal to fly a drone over people.. Also most states have privacy laws that protect people especially on their property... So, if a drone is directly over you on your property... who is first at fault? I'm not a lawyer even though I have played one on the internet.... usually in law if a bad thing happens the person who broke the first law is responsible for any thing bad that happens after that...

I know a guy who was alone out on his property and a drone flew over him and hovered for a while... until he got out his shot gun... The FAA eventually came and retreated the 'wounded ' drone... they did nothing to him.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
Hmmm, those drones pictured look a lot like the units that BNSF Railway is using to do mapping and resource overflight work. They’ve been in the forefront of drone use and development as it relates to these areas and were one of the first companies to get approval for beyond visual range flight work. Not saying that’s what this is, but I wonder if there are BN tracks nearby...

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
...Also most states have privacy laws that protect people especially on their property...

Are you sure about this? What reasonable expectation of privacy does a person have while standing out in the open, even if on their own property? None. If you put yourself out there and an airplane, helicopter, hot air balloon, blimp, Zeppelin, other dirigible, or drone happens to overfly you, there's nothing illegal about that.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
...Also most states have privacy laws that protect people especially on their property...

Over their house? How high up do you think you own?

Lots of unexplored territory with Drones and over flights.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
So let it be written,
so let it be done...
Picture of Dzozer
posted Hide Post
I think it is about privacy, and at least one Judge agreed...

Remember this guy?

Judge rules man had right to shoot down drone over his house

'Live long and prosper'

Posts: 3909 | Location: The Prairie | Registered: April 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaBigBR:
quote:

Are you sure about this? What reasonable expectation of privacy does a person have while standing out in the open, even if on their own property? None. If you put yourself out there and an airplane, helicopter, hot air balloon, blimp, Zeppelin, other dirigible, or drone happens to overfly you, there's nothing illegal about that.

I think I have a reasonable expectation that a person with a camera won't be 50 feet in the air over my property. You can bet if a person were to pull such a stunt, the airsoft guns and wrist rockets would be out in force. Possibly a BB gun as well. I'd have the same expectation about drones except bird shot wouldn't be off the table.

Posts: 10821 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:
quote:

Over their house? How high up do you think you own?

Lots of unexplored territory with Drones and over flights.

In some parts of Texas, I believe it's from the edge of the Universe to the core of the Earth, straight up and straight down. Smile

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
Note: picture and FAA Tweet/ video at linked website article.

The FAA Is Now Investigating Colorado’s Mysterious Drones — And Sen. Cory Gardner Has Weighed In, Too

By Corey H. Jones December 31, 2019

A handful of eastern Colorado counties still have no answers about the drones flying overhead at night lately. And now U.S. Sen. Cory Gardner of Colorado has weighed in.

“I’ve been in contact with the FAA and I’m encouraged that they’ve opened a full investigation to learn the source and purpose of the drones,” Gardner said in a statement. “I will continue to closely monitor the situation.”

Gardner is from Yuma, one of the five counties that have reported the groups of drones. He is also a member of the Senate Commerce Subcommittee on Aviation and Space.

Phillips County Sheriff Thomas Elliott told CPR News last week that there have been sightings of about 17 drones with 6-foot wingspans flying in a grid pattern after 7 p.m.

“All we want to know is who they are and why are they doing it,” he said. “People don't like the possibility of the drones invading their privacy.”

Lincoln, Washington and Sedgwick counties have also had similar sightings. Officials say they do not believe the groups of drones are related to any criminal activity.

The Lincoln County Sheriff’s Office confirmed the activity Sunday night when one of its deputies saw a cluster of drones north of I-70.

The department is collaborating with the Federal Aviation Administration and the other counties, Lincoln County Sherrif's Capt. Michael Yowell said.

“At this point, any new information that we get we’re giving that to each other,” he said. “We cannot get close enough to take a photograph or get any video, all we can see is flashing lights.”

Drone flights are legal as long as they follow FAA rules. On Dec. 26, the FAA announced a proposal that would require drones to be tracked and identified using a Remote Identification system.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post