SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Mysterious swarms of giant drones have started to appear in the Colorado and Nebraska night sky, and nobody knows where they're coming from
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mysterious swarms of giant drones have started to appear in the Colorado and Nebraska night sky, and nobody knows where they're coming from Login/Join 
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted
Mysterious swarms of giant drones have dotted the Colorado and Nebraska night sky since last week, the Denver Post first reported.

The drones appear and disappear at roughly the same time each night in swarms of at least 17 and up to 30 drones. The drones appear to measure about six feet across.

Local and federal government authorities say they have no idea where the drones are coming from. However, they do not appear to be malicious, and a drone expert says they appear to be searching or mapping out the area.

Since the week of Christmas, giant drones measuring up to six feet across have been spotted in the sky at night, sometimes in swarms as large as 30. The Denver Post first reported these mysterious drone sightings in Northeast Colorado on December 23. Since then, sightings have spanned six counties across Colorado and Nebraska

Phillips County Sheriff Thomas Elliot had no answer for where the drones come from or who they belong to, but he has a rough grasp on their flying habits. "They've been doing a grid search, a grid pattern," he told the Denver Post. "They fly one square and then they fly another square."

The drones, estimated to have six-foot wingspans, have been flying over Phillips and Yuma counties every night for about the last week, Elliott said Monday. Each night, at least 17 drones appear at around 7:00 pm and disappear at around 10:00 pm, staying 200-300 feet in the air.

The Air Force, DEA, and Army all say the drones do not belong to them.

The Federal Aviation Agency told the Post it had no idea where the drones came from. Spokespeople for the Air Force, Drug Enforcement Administration, and US Army Forces Command all said that the drones did not belong to their organizations.

As the airspace in which the drones are flying is relatively ungoverned, there are no regulations requiring the drone operators to identify themselves. However, Elliott said that the drones do not appear to be malicious.

The Post spoke to commercial photographer and drone pilot Vic Moss, who said that the drones appear to be searching or mapping out the area. Moss said that drones often fly at night for crop examination purposes. It's also possible that the drones belong to one of several drone companies based in Colorado, which may be testing out new technologies.

In the meantime, Moss urges residents not to shoot down the drones as they are highly flammable.

"It becomes a self-generating fire that burns until it burns itself out," he told the Post. "If you shoot a drone down over your house and it lands on your house, you might not have a house in 45 minutes."
LINK

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5643 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
They are coming...

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CO6M2HsoIA

What's with the fire hazard warning? Is that due to the size of lithium battery required for a large drone?

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17245 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Some people have money.
Some people have time.
Some people have a mind to think of ways to mess with other people's minds, in order to waste their time and obtain their money.

... or simply, fuck with their minds...

That is all this is, or ever will be.

Welcome to 2020. Just like last year, only different.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Everything's flammable if you "flam" it enough. I'd like to see a few blasted out of the sky. The whole thing sounds ridiculous. Shoot a few down and I'll wager that the "swarms" Roll Eyes will disappear.

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Possibly the Mexicans testing them out to see if they're viable to carry drugs across the border is a thought that comes to my mind. a 6' drone is not your typical hobbyist, just think of what it needs to be transported in, then 17-30 of them? The cost of them. Could be a government agency.....or company that builds them and is testing them to solicit a bid also. I doubt 17-30 hobbyists just happened to buy giant drones and flying them there.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ugly Bag of
Mostly Water
Picture of ridgerat
posted Hide Post
I remember seeing a news report about a group of students operating dozens of pre-programmed drones to simulate flocks of birds as some kind of research project. Once the project was complete, they would do demonstrations/shows for the public in the night sky.

Endowment Life Member, NRA • Member, Gun Owners of America & Member, Arizona Citizens Defense League

Posts: 2828 | Location: Tucson, AZ | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So they know exactly where they fly and what time they show up but no one has bothered to record it even though everyone has a recorder in their pocket at all times. Yeah ok.

Posts: 3874 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Everything's flammable if you "flam" it enough. I'd like to see a few blasted out of the sky. The whole thing sounds ridiculous. Shoot a few down and I'll wager that the "swarms" Roll Eyes will disappear.

Mysterious giant drone being "flam"ed, at NAS Lakehurst, NJ.

"There'll be no more of these drone shenanigans in this area for a while..." was a statement made by one source, who wishes to remain un-named.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
^^ I don't recollect seeing very many since.

Posts: 7319 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
The state NG need to dust off their M163s............and try them out.

Posts: 11305 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
If you listen closely, can you hear “Ride of the Valkyries” in the background?

Posts: 6288 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Since the week of Christmas, giant drones measuring up to six feet across have been spotted in the sky at night,

Alright, who got a fleet of drones for Christmas?

Posts: 10821 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
After the recent snow storms, the fire danger is very low in these areas....so blast away!

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Are there any lost gold mines or treasure burials in those areas? Lots of treasure hunters are using drones now.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
I bet if one got shot down we'd soon find out who owned it.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pyker:
I bet if one got shot down we'd soon find out who owned it.

My thoughts exactly.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
6’ is not your standard consumer drone. Swarms of them mean 10’s if not 100’s of thousands of dollars.

My guess is there is definitely an alphabet agency involved, or Bloomberg...

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10918 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Or Cartel, or China.

While this may be proven innocuous anyone who doesn't think that in the long term there is the potential for nefarious purposes is playing checkers, not chess.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5643 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Things to ponder...

.UN troops in the US (Colorado and other areas)
not being reported by any mainstream media
.An areal mapping exercise in Colorado where UN
troops are
.Trump calls up Marine Reserve because UN
troops are in the US, and stations some in
Colorado
.If I am not mistaken, Nebraska is pretty flat.
If I needed good communications in the field
I would choose a place that was open to the
horizon.
.UN "peace keeping" force consists of Chinese and another country's troops that do not look kindly on America. I can't recall off hand the name of the other country.

What could possibly go wrong?!
Perhaps no one here has been following this. But it has been going on for a while now.

Sorry to be the one to mention this. I just could not let it go by.

Posts: 358 | Registered: March 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post