SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Mysterious swarms of giant drones have started to appear in the Colorado and Nebraska night sky, and nobody knows where they're coming from
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mysterious swarms of giant drones have started to appear in the Colorado and Nebraska night sky, and nobody knows where they're coming from Login/Join 
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark_a:
It could be that they (.mil or .gov) are testing/ calibrating something. I could see a battlefield application where combining drones to do a detailed survey could come in handy.
And that would be the application of 5G, as I stated some pages back. I honestly think that's what this "testing" is all about...the symbiotic (if that's the correct term) relationship of one drone and how hundreds more can mirror its actions.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11054 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
Nobody out there has brought one of these down yet? Somebody really needs to step up their game.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15694 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Might just be, what someone is testing is... us.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
Nobody out there has brought one of these down yet? Somebody really needs to step up their game.
I keep opening this thread wanting to read that someone has brought one down.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16488 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I guess Colorado just doesn't have enough hillbillies. If this were Missouri there would ten or twenty hanging over someone's fireplace. Smile

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5024 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:

Or more likely they know exactly what’s going on and it’s none of our business.

This is my guess.

WAYYYY too much press and legal attention over this for hobbyists or trolls to keep up.

The govt has a long history of covering up black projects.

The Nail has been hit on the Head. I believe.

Posts: 1949 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Several Local & Gov agencies meet On 1/9 with the Morgan County Sheriff's Office, including the FAA, & agreed to continue investigating the drone sightings.

"Multiple FAA divisions are working closely with federal, state and local stakeholders to try to determine whether the reported sightings in Colorado and Nebraska are drones and, if so, who is operating them and for what reason," the FAA said in a statement.

The FAA also said it's contacted unmanned aircraft systems (UAS) test sites, drone companies and companies authorized to operate drones in the area, but hasn't been able to determine if any of these are responsible for the drone swarms.

The FBI didn't immediately respond to a request for comment. These activities are now under surveillance & there should be some answers forthcoming soon...

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:
Several Local & Gov agencies meet On 1/9 with the Morgan County Sheriff's Office, including the FAA, & agreed to continue investigating the drone sightings.

"Multiple FAA divisions are working closely with federal, state and local stakeholders to try to determine whether the reported sightings in Colorado and Nebraska are drones and, if so, who is operating them and for what reason," the FAA said in a statement.

The FAA also said it's contacted unmanned aircraft systems (UAS) test sites, drone companies and companies authorized to operate drones in the area, but hasn't been able to determine if any of these are responsible for the drone swarms.

The FBI didn't immediately respond to a request for comment. These activities are now under surveillance & there should be some answers forthcoming soon...

I suspect that the unspoken message they have received is to go through the motions of an investigation. But, don't look too hard. JMO

Posts: 1264 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:

I'm sure they have top men investigating.

Top...………….men

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

Posts: 8347 | Registered: July 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
If the government tells me they have no idea what it is, then I can only assume it's alien, and there surely aren't any laws that prevent me from protecting earth against the invasion. Wink

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15694 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The current record for busting a clay pigeon in the air is currently 130 yards. Don't know what size shot was used but suspect i may have been #4. Buckshot would carry somewhat farther but the limited number of pelets would take that from a skill shot to pure luck.

BTW, I've busted clays falling to a 60 yard berm with # 7.5 shot. As for why I was shooting that far out, it's simple, it's because this idiot had the safety set when the bird was launched. That far out you just aim about 4 feet under the clay and hope to get a bit lucky. So far I'm at 2 out of 4. Yeah, this idiot does forget to check the safety a bit too often.

So, if these drones are flying at say 1000 feet it's a sure bet the only shotgun load capable of carrying that far straight up would be 00 Buck. In a 3 inch shell that is typically 9 pellets and in a 3 1/2 shell I think it's 12 pellets. In addition you have to get the lead just right. ON the plus side 00 Buck doesn't spread as much as birdshot so I'm guessing the 30 yard spread would be around 24 inches. So, 1000/90 ft times 24 inches would be a 266 inch (22 feet) pattern. So, in simple terms it is unlikely that a shotgun could take out a drone at 1000 feet. Because any failure in lead added to the low pattern density means the odds of someone with an 18 inch Mossberg actually hitting a drone is likely in the range of 0.05 percent or less.

Thus the reason why we haven't seen more of these things shot down. Hitting a moving target with a shotgun is a lot more difficult that most paper punchers will ever know.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5621 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RaiseHal
posted Hide Post
That’s why they invented the 10 gauge

It's a shame that youth is wasted on the young --- Mark Twain

Anyone who is not a liberal by age 20 has no heart; anyone who is not a conservative by age 40 has no brain---Winston Churchill

Posts: 4650 | Location: The Free State of Georgia | Registered: August 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I shouldered a 10 ONCE, ONCE.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Poacher
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by recoatlift:
I shouldered a 10 ONCE, ONCE.

Same Frown

NRA Life Member

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Teddy Roosevelt

Posts: 2242 | Location: Newnan, GA USA | Registered: January 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
Google. The real skynet

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8752 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
If the government tells me they have no idea what it is, then I can only assume it's alien, and there surely aren't any laws that prevent me from protecting earth against the invasion. Wink

Wasdom has struck again. The logic is flawless. Are you Vulcan ?

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8634 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
On a somewhat related bit of news.

U.S. may call a halt to its civilian drone program over security fears
By Trevor Mogg January 13, 2020 12:15AM PST
The U.S. Department of Interior (DoI) is set to permanently ground its fleet of around 1,000 drones because of fears over security, the Financial Times (FT) reported.

The remotely controlled quadcopters were taken out of service in October 2019 pending a thorough review of the civilian drone program amid concerns that the Chinese-made machines could be used to send sensitive data back to China.

But sources close to the review have told the FT that the department is expected to take them out of service for good after officials warned that the Chinese government has the ability to access the drones’ data, which includes images and location information.

It’s not clear when David Bernhardt, the secretary of the interior, will make an announcement regarding the review, but the sources’ revelations suggest it could be coming soon.

The department had been using the drones for a variety of tasks that included land and forest monitoring, dam inspections, and assisting efforts to tackle wildfires and other natural disasters. It’s possible that if a permanent ban is announced, the department may still use the machines in emergency situations such as tackling wildfires, and also for training purposes.

The FT’s report claimed that “various agencies have protested against the proposals” to stop using the drones, with the devices considered a vital part of their operations. An American-made drone capable of competing with Chinese drones such as those made by market leader DJI would go a long way to solving the issue, but officials are reportedly yet to find a suitable replacement among domestic offerings.

The government’s problem with the use of Chinese-made drones returns us to the ongoing trade dispute between the U.S. and China that has also hit Shenzhen-based tech giant Huawei over similar security-related fears.

LINK

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5643 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just Googled this topic. Some of the enforcement agencies have announced that they are already scaling back their investigation. They say that they looked for them and can't find anything.

I suppose the next thing they will tell us that all those folks saw, was weather balloons and swamp gas....

Someone is counting on the fact that the public has an attention span that is equivalent to my cat's. They'd, unfortunately, be correct.

Posts: 1264 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really wouldn't mind if the government just came out and said it's an intelligence issue and not appropriate for the general public to know about. Instead of lying to the public.....that offends me.

Picture of steve495
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VictimNoMore:
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
I thought it was illegal to fly drones at night

Not illegal -with a waiver- if flying under Part 107.

It's actual legal for hobbyists to fly at night under certain conditions. You still need to know about the airspace regulations, required lights and respect all of the rules in place.

Part 107 commercial operators do need a daytime waiver.

Steve

Small Business Website Design & Maintenance - https://spidercreations.net | OpSpec Training - https://opspectraining.com | Grayguns - https://grayguns.com

Evil exists. You can not negotiate with, bribe or placate evil. You're not going to be able to have it sit down with Dr. Phil for an anger management session either.

Posts: 4988 | Location: Windsor Locks, Conn. | Registered: July 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post