SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Mysterious swarms of giant drones have started to appear in the Colorado and Nebraska night sky, and nobody knows where they're coming from
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mysterious swarms of giant drones have started to appear in the Colorado and Nebraska night sky, and nobody knows where they're coming from Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by USMCE4retired:
.UN troops in the US (Colorado and other areas)
not being reported by any mainstream media
.An areal mapping exercise in Colorado where UN
troops are
.Trump calls up Marine Reserve because UN
troops are in the US, and stations some in
Colorado
.If I am not mistaken, Nebraska is pretty flat.
If I needed good communications in the field
I would choose a place that was open to the
horizon.
.UN "peace keeping" force consists of Chinese and another country's troops that do not look kindly on America. I can't recall off hand the name of the other country.

What could possibly go wrong?!
Perhaps no one here has been following this. But it has been going on for a while now.

Sorry to be the one to mention this. I just could not let it go by.
See this?

That's where we're headed

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by USMCE4retired:
.UN troops

<Awwwww geez, not this shit again> not a gif.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:

...My guess is there is definitely an alphabet agency involved...

Maybe, but why use Colorado when there's thousands of cubic miles of restricted airspace over mostly uninhabited areas of Nevada, New Mexico, and other SW states??

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:

...My guess is there is definitely an alphabet agency involved...

Maybe, but why use Colorado when there's thousands of cubic miles of restricted airspace over mostly uninhabited areas of Nevada, New Mexico, and other SW states??

Maybe somebody wants to know what is in Colorado and Nebraska, that can't be seen from the highway? Maybe checking for water use, or land violations of some sort? Western land owners are very very touchy about unknown, uninvited, persons on their land!

Jim

Posts: 1344 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Might be testing 5G.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11052 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
quote:
Originally posted by Pyker:
I bet if one got shot down we'd soon find out who owned it.

My thoughts exactly.

Good point. Unfortunately, since the FAA started regulating drones, they consider them “their business” and take a very dim (Federal) view of anyone shooting them down. While it would be great entertainment value *watching* them get blown out of the sky, I’d not like to be at all involved in making that happen.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I think we might be jumping on the bogus band wagon... if you check out the FAA rules for flying drones there is alot that causes me to question the Original Post....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
I think we might be jumping on the bogus band wagon... if you check out the FAA rules for flying drones there is alot that causes me to question the Original Post....
The article is from Business Insider. If the link pointed to some site I'd never heard of, I'd be more skeptical.

I just want a chance to shoot down one or two of these things.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
If I am not mistaken, Nebraska is pretty flat.

As it happens, you ARE mistaken, with one glaring exception—-the Platte River Valley. The valley is the route of the Oregon and Mormon Trails, the Union Pacific RR, and later, Interstate 80. You see river valleys are relatively flat and provide a water source for overland travelers. The rest of Nebraska is far from flat.

Posts: 13164 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
And we consider Western Nebraska part of Colorado anyway....

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc H.:
And we consider Western Nebraska part of Colorado anyway....

Uh-uhh, Wyoming

Posts: 13164 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better lucky than good
Picture of r2mach1
posted Hide Post
They were about 60 miles east of us a few nights ago. Tonight they're here. People are seeing them all over town as well as neighboring towns. We saw 2 from our house. Its really weird!!

Class III FFL/SOT firearms dealer

Posts: 3645 | Location: Fort Morgan, Colorado | Registered: November 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"giant drones measuring up to six feet across have been spotted in the sky at night"...

1) If they're not lighted, how do you see them at night?

2) How are they estimating the wingspan of an object they are not familiar with at an unknown distance and altitude?

3) I'll have one of what he's drinking, but I'm going to test it on a lab rat first.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2064 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r2mach1:
They were about 60 miles east of us a few nights ago. Tonight they're here. People are seeing them all over town as well as neighboring towns. We saw 2 from our house. Its really weird!!

Pictures???!!!

Did they have aircraft position lights...or any lights at all???

Any chance they could be involved with the Oil & Gas work in the area or perhaps Wind Turbine farms?

Inquiring minds want to know! Oh, and hope you and the family are doing well! Happy New Years! Cool

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by whanson_wi:
"giant drones measuring up to six feet across have been spotted in the sky at night"...

1) If they're not lighted, how do you see them at night?

2) How are they estimating the wingspan of an object they are not familiar with at an unknown distance and altitude?

Yup, these questions occurred to me as well and need to be answered before putting too much credibility in the reported article.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
It’s possible to see unlit aircraft at night- either using skyglow as the backdrop or ambient surface light (like a mall or parking lot)

If these guys aren’t breaking any FARs I’m not sure why this is a story. I do a lot of weird shit with airplanes in uncontrolled airspace around the entire western US. The restricted areas are pretty busy and need to be scheduled a ways out, so using uncontrolled airspace is an obvious alternative.

ETA: Reading more about this, I understand why people are concerned.. I’m just pointing out there are many legitimate and non-nefarious reasons to be operating unusually (but legally) within uncontrolled airspace.

Posts: 2392 | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
You can't legally fly a drone at night even with lights.... you can 30 minutes before sunrise and 30 minutes after sunset if it has appropriate lights on it....

Just saying ..... Oh, and the pilot in charge of the drone has to either keep it in visual sight or be in communication with visual observers who can. And visual sight means with your eyes not binoculars or other visual aids other than standard glasses.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
Large numbers of drones in Colorado?

Could they be from South Park?

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2094 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
Stoned Coloradans are simply mistaking 6’ drones for the actual 6’ grasshoppers coming out of the former Rocky Flats plant.

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
Amazon testing delivery drones. Big Grin

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 1990 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post