SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Seeking advice on locating a book illustrator
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Seeking advice on locating a book illustrator Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted
I know so little about this topic that I’m not sure of even the questions to ask, so any comments are welcome.

I’m working on a project that requires a number of simple illustrations. For previous in-house use I’ve captured them from various sources, but most could be improved and I want to avoid any copyright issues. I would like to be able to give an illustrator what I have and have the content reproduced to my specifications. Doing that wouldn’t require a high level of artistic skill or sophistication, and in fact line drawings with a bit of shading would be best. Even that, however, is beyond my abilities.

And although the project is somewhat tentative at this point, if I pursue it I’ll want things handled professionally, and not by someone’s cousin who might be able to do it in his spare time.

Advice on how to find someone to do that for (hopefully) a reasonable fee?

Thanks for all replies.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
No idea, but checking with a local college's art/visual design department might be a good first stop.

Posts: 11164 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I found this link on Google:
Link

Guillermo is $25/hour with 100% job success. I don't think you want Stevens who works at $20/hour with 92% job success.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19662 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
My son illustrates books as a side gig. He has several published.

My email is in my profil if you are interested.

Posts: 12921 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
I would look at the local college, or even high school, art classes.

My son majored in what was called Experimental Animantion in college and they would likely take on a project like that at a very reasonable price.

Bear in mind that the product you receive will likely be in digital form...which makes changes a lot easier

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14184 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
Often the publisher will want to handle illustrations. If I were you, I would just put (illustration) at the appropriate place in the text, and then see how the publisher wants to handle it.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11108 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
I ran across ArtStation.com. It could be a solution for you depending upon your budget. You said you’re not looking for a cousin, so I assume you have the budget for someone more professional.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Patent illustrators? There are actually artists who specialize in that. Doing illustrations for non-patents might be very freeing for them, as there are particular requirements for patent drawings.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
I drew illustrations that went into publications of all kinds for my federal clients.

Most were really basic, but if you could give me some more specifics as to what you need, if its beyond me, I can probably hook you up with some artists I know.

I sent my contact info to the eddress in your profile.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31440 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I appreciate the comments and contacts thus far. It may be a bridge too far, but I'm still in the preliminary stages of this.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PeterGV
posted Hide Post
You said this was for a book.

In your contract with the publisher, a key thing you can negotiate is who is responsible for the illustrations. You can make them (the publisher) responsible, make them pay for it, and retain the right to approve them and even to dismiss the illustrator.

Illustrations can become very expensive, unless you click right away with the illustrator there are often numerous revisions required. Publishers have in house and contract art staff. Make them bear the cost and the annoyance.

Posts: 1318 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: April 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I’ve gotten several suggestions about letting the publisher deal with the illustrations, but I’m trying to explore the options associated with self-publishing as well. I fear that the subject of the book will have limited appeal and few, if any, publishers would have any interest in it.

6.4/93.6

— Plato

Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Yarchin:
My son illustrates books as a side gig. He has several published.

My email is in my profil if you are interested.

I, too, have a son who has illustrated some childrens' books and would probably be interested in helping you out. He's currently stationed in Korea, with nothing productive to do in his off-duty time. If you'd like to get in touch with him, contact me by e-mail.

Thanks,

Sap

Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post