SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Is Pandora (streaming music) different?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is Pandora (streaming music) different? Login/Join 
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted
I have never paid for Pandora. But I don't see how you create your own stations now. It looks like the free version allows you to only choose pre-existing stations already there but can't make your own station.

Am I missing something?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post

Posts: 107576 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
You pick a station via and artist or genre, then you can thumbs up or thumbs down songs and it customizes the station a bit based on your likes.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I think you might indeed be missing something.

Pandora is based off of the music genome project. It classifies music based on common elements, rather than genre. Each song it plays will be slightly different than the last. As you thumbs up or thumbs down different songs, the algorithm tries to introduce to you new songs with the musical elements that are common among the songs you like.

So, the "stations" you make are not "playlists," but instead are dynamically generated based on your listening history.

You create a station by entering the name of an artist or the name of a particular song. It will pick a song to play for you, but not necessarily the song or artist you picked--but likely something similar or representative of that artist. Then, you thumbs up or thumbs down songs to really hone in on the sound or elements that you like.

Pandora is really more about finding new songs you might like, than it is about creating a playlist of songs you already like. If creating a playlist is more your thing, you should consider Spotify, or Google Play Music instead.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Yes, Pandora is different:

https://twitter.com/pandoramus...988965761024?lang=en

This. Pandora can crawl in her box and go to Hell.

Use another streaming music service.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I like Amazon Prime music. A lot. I have tried iHeart, Pandora, and Apple. Amazon is "free" and has both curated (they choose) and your choice playlists.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5053 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have Pandora and love it. I decided to pay the $100 per year (may have been less, I just don't recall). so that I can build a playlist and can skip any song any time. Much better, for an older guy, than any other radio I've found.

But I did not know about them posting this stupid statement. They say their mission is to "play the music (I) love."

What possessed them to depart from that into political stuff baffles me, but I will send them an email making my displeasure known. May not do any good, but when they look to renew my annual membership ....

Posts: 1575 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
on my Pandora I have several genres that I like to listen to occasionaly. indie rock, dance, bob marley, jimmy buffett, old crow medicine show, etc. then choose the "suffle" option and it plays a little of all of them.

YMMV
john

Posts: 476 | Location: Greensboro, NC | Registered: November 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't support any company that goes out of their way to support that Liberal/Leftist crap!

I don't know if Spotify is actually better, but at least I don't know about them yet.

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I shit canned Pandora

and this is why...

quote:

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11278 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Dropped Pandora and went with Amazon since it's included in my Prime. Works great.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Yup droppes pandora and let them know. I was paying.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
I like Slacker and Spotify loads more than Pandora

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6998 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
It's exceptionally good at what it does, finding similarities between songs and making suggestions based on your likes and those similarities. I love it, but have never paid for it, and ever since the commercials started becoming annoying I only use it to mine for ideas, which I then get elsewhere and listen to without Pandora (by giving things I like a Thumbs Up and periodically looking at the list for new music to chase down for my collection). If you don't mind the commercials here and there (or paying them) - it works perfectly well for streaming music you like, too, of course. I just quit using it that way, hating commercials like I do.

As to creating Stations, here on my Android phone I simply open the Menu, select Stations, and near the top of that page is a "+ Create Station" option. Is that not there for you?

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As Para said, Pandora really shit the bed when they decided to air their social beliefs in public. Keep it quiet and take the money. But, put it in the open and reap the whirlwind of those that don't agree.

Eat shit Pandora.

It's all about clean living. Just do the right thing, and karma will help with the rest.

Posts: 1113 | Location: The Republic of Texas | Registered: April 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
No Pandora for me, cancelled months ago. I use Amazon Music, works fine.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3397 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Facts are stubborn things
Picture of armedprof
posted Hide Post
i switched to Spotify and I like is much better. The free version will allow you to listen to an entire album of your favorite artists.

Do, Or do not. There is no try.

Posts: 1786 | Location: Just South of Charlotte, NC | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Spotify & Amazon music.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Almost all of the artists complain about Spotify. From what I've read only certain artists get paid for their songs. People like Kanye West, Beyonce, jayz and other people I have no use for. No Spotify for me.

I didn't know I had access to Amazon prime music until it was mentioned here. Nifty. Thanks!

Posts: 45373 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:

I stopped using Pandora because of this. I rarely stream music anymore, but when I do, Amazon Prime.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16693 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post