SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Treatment UPDATE 4/29 - NOT Good News last page: Cancer (aggressive Lymphoma) is back.
Page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 14
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Treatment UPDATE 4/29 - NOT Good News last page: Cancer (aggressive Lymphoma) is back. Login/Join 
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by striker1:
Updated in first post, tumors are shrinking!

Great News.

Prayers Inbound.

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Continuing well wishes!

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34081 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
Update, no real changes other than Rush U wants my local (Rush-trained) oncologists to put me on the RCHOP chemo for lymphoma. I’m currently on a easier chemo now, but starting the RCHOP (was on this before in 2009-2012) on 16 July for at least 4 rounds to get the most bang in knocking the tumors down to nothing. This is still leading up to the auto stem cell (“bone marrow”) procedure now planned for the fall.

RCHOP is a traditional blend for lymphoma and has more side-effects, like possible heart issues, hair loss, etc. My cardio-oncologist at Rush gave the green light on my heart, so now just need to add in some exercise and more activity to condition the heart for stem cell treatment.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
Doing round 1 of the stronger RCHOP chemo this morning. I’ll do 4 treatments, one every three weeks. (I’ve already had 4 treatments with a different type of chemo).

So it looks like end of October before I proceed with the stem cell procedure. My doctors at Rush in Chicago are working closely with my local oncologist (who did his residency at Rush twenty years ago) to hopefully achieve complete remission first.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the update. Still thinking about you and hoping for a great outcome!

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4923 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You don’t fix faith,
River. It fixes you.

Picture of Yanert98
posted Hide Post
That's great news. Keep us posted.

----------------------------------
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism.." - Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2673 | Location: Migrating with the Seasons | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
Just a quick update: we met Wednesday with the stem cell team at Rush. Depending on how the lymphoma responds, I may only do two more rounds of chemo. The big hurdle is whether my own stem cells are healthy enough for the autologous transplant. If not, the alternatives are donor (allogeneic) cells or possibly CAR-T immunotherapy, which has recently been approved for lymphomas.

For now, chemo continues and we are looking for complete or near-complete remission before moving to the next phase.

RB

Old, Slow,
but Lucky!
Picture of dsmack
posted Hide Post
Thanks for this latest update! It sounds as though you are still in the "kicking ass" phase with the Chemo doing an excellent job on your behalf, with the "taking names" phase starting this Fall with the most efficacious choice from those you've mentioned... EXCELLENT progress, my friend Wink

Looking forward to more good news as you continue !

Keeping you in my prayers, and continuing to rub my Chemo Port for your Good Luck!

God Bless you!
Don

Posts: 3418 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: March 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Got my fingers crossed for you, s1!

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
Picture of thomjb
posted Hide Post
In my prayers!!!!

Thom

"Tulta munille!"
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
SAF Life Member

Posts: 2835 | Location: SouthWest IN | Registered: August 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
Still sending prayers.

Lung cancer 2009

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
Good for you stryker1. I’ll pray for you too.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
No major updates. I have an appointment at Rush on Friday with the cardio-oncologist. One side-effect of the stronger chemo is a higher pulse rate. Weird sensation to have a 90bpm resting rate. Also struggling with the side-effects of steroids which lead to an insatiable appetite. I find that I’ll binge eat and really need to watch this. Put on 8 lbs in the past 3 weeks!

RB

Old, Slow,
but Lucky!
Picture of dsmack
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the latest update! As for the weight gain, you can always go on a diet later!! Wink

Prayers still coming your way, Amigo!
Don

Posts: 3418 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: March 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
^
Steroids are a funny business. Some people really balloon, adding 30, 50 pounds even.

I won’t do that. Today I had a small victory fighting off the cravings and actually feel really good going into the week.

I’ll lose some more weight when I get to the stem cell phase, but that’s not the best way to lose it. Wink

RB

Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
Quick update. Lost 12 pounds since I began paying attention to what I eat. Damn steroids!

I have had my fifth chemo postponed twice now due to very low neutrophil (white blood cell) count of 0.8. For some reason the last time I got the OBI Neulasta, it didn't stimulate enough white blood cell production.

My oncologist immediately put me on levaquin last Monday after the labs came back, and sent me home. Monday, same thing, still at 0.8.

I'm getting a series of daily neupogen shots this week, so hoping it comes up to at least 2.0 or 2.5 so I can proceed with chemo. Risk of getting an infection from someone else is high, so I'm being very cautious about where I go.

My first three chemo rounds were an "easier" form than the current RCHOP. It was round 4 that wiped out my white blood cells as expected. The docs at Rush want me to get the RCHOP chemo at least two more times, and then I'll have a PET scan to see if the cancer is mostly knocked down (or out). If that's the case, I'll be moving forward with the stem cell procedure which begins with extraction of my own cells.

RB

Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
You continue to be in my prayers

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
silence is acceptance
Picture of birddog1
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the update, hang in there my friend.

Posts: 2336 | Location: Massillon, OH | Registered: January 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
More Prayers Sent

Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Beat this thing, man. Drive on

Posts: 13164 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post