SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Treatment UPDATE 4/29 - NOT Good News last page: Cancer (aggressive Lymphoma) is back.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 14
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Treatment UPDATE 4/29 - NOT Good News last page: Cancer (aggressive Lymphoma) is back. Login/Join 
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
Pain is very manageable now.

My duodenum opening is only about 15-20% size, so far less food more often (tiny 4 oz servings eaten every 30 minutes) is the winner.

‘Food’ consists of an all liquid diet. Cream soups, broth, runny oatmeal or cream of wheat, some juice, lots of water, and so on.

Chemo meds and steroids will keep me off almost all sugar, and a new twist is no cold drinks or food. I have to NOT touch cold, breathe cold, I’ll have a bad reaction.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
Attitude and support of those around you helps immensely. It sounds like those are in order.

Keep fighting!

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11143 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Censored
posted Hide Post
Glad the pain is being managed better. They really focused on pain control with my cancer and that has helped my attitude and ability to heal. I can emphasize with you on the food thing. My stomach is currently 4oz in size. I am limited to 4oz every 2 hours. It should enlarge to 2 cups over the next couple months. Remembering to eat every two hours is a pain. I cannot imagine having to eat every three minutes. Look to talk to a dietician the next time your see your onc. They can give a variety of suggestions.

Posts: 2223 | Location: United States | Registered: February 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather have luck
than skill any day
Picture of mjlennon
posted Hide Post
Godspeed my friend, all your cyber-buddies are praying for a full recovery.

Posts: 1817 | Location: Fayetteville, Georgia | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Censored:
Glad the pain is being managed better. They really focused on pain control with my cancer and that has helped my attitude and ability to heal. I can emphasize with you on the food thing. My stomach is currently 4oz in size. I am limited to 4oz every 2 hours. It should enlarge to 2 cups over the next couple months. Remembering to eat every two hours is a pain. I cannot imagine having to eat every three minutes. Look to talk to a dietician the next time your see your onc. They can give a variety of suggestions.

We spent about 30 minutes yesterday while I was in the chemo suite talking with the dietician. Got some good ideas although the menu remains sparse. Real food is probably still a month or 6 weeks away, and even then will be small portions well spaced out.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
Had a long day recovering from chemo today. No rest, as I had to get another 2 units of blood. Home now since about 5:30, finally took a long nap and now watching “Dunkirk” for the second time. Hope to rest up all weekend.

I can feel some “chemo” activity in my affected areas already. It’s a weird sensation, not painful, just stuff happening. These tumors shrink fairly rapidly.

RB

Old, Slow,
but Lucky!
Picture of dsmack
posted Hide Post
Rooting for you all the way, buddy!

Kick butt, Take names!
Don

Posts: 3418 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: March 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Prayers sent, best of luck on your fight.

Posts: 937 | Location: Greeley, CO | Registered: March 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
Had a little scare with vomiting and low hemoglobin on Sunday and Monday. Had to take an ambulance down to INDY and was concerned that the resection of the duodenum might need to happen. Jury’s still out. So far things have improved and I am now hoping to continue with the course of chemo I started last Thursday and possibly avoid surgery. Hope to be back in my own bed by Thursday.

RB

Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the update. You’re in my prayers.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
Prayers Sent from a Lung Cancer Survivor 2009.

Had my port in for two years. Kept having to go get it flushed every 6 weeks. Asked the Doctor after about a year how long will the port stay in. He said forever. Well after another year he send referral to Thoracic Surgeon to have it removed. I guess when he said forever he meant terminal.

I get a dividend payment beginning of June. Will throw some in the hat then.

God Bless Ron

Roy

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
Up early today, antsy, can’t sleep. Had a good week with some meds settling down in my system and my gut behaving. No new bleeding internally. I’ve been eating normal food (low carb diet).

Had some additional good news on the insurance front (aspects of treatment and pet scan approved), and also got some financial relief/help from two of the chemo drug companies. I’ll take it!

I go in for round two (of 6, maybe 8) of chemo later this morning, and hopefully a few days of rest while the meds do their magic. I’ll get the neulasta shot this week also. Expensive as snot, and makes me feel like I have the flu for a few days, but a necessary evil.

I’d like to again thank everyone here who have both publicly and privately encouraged me via email, and especially those who have helped financially. We will do okay, as I’m using up all remaining vacation and sick days this year and hopefully won’t be into short term disability for more than a few weeks. We had someone local anonymously pay this months house payment, that was just incredible and took a huge load off our minds.

God bless you all.

RB

Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
Just posting the text I shared with fam and friends after the latest visit with my oncologist:

“Newest update: Lymphoma is very aggressive large B cell. Current chemo will knock it down, but it will return and I won’t survive without a bone marrow transplant up in Chicago. That will be after my chemo rounds are done in a few months. Still a “curable” cancer at this point, with the transplant.”

RB

Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
You got this. Stay strong brother.
God bless.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by striker1:
Just posting the text I shared with fam and friends after the latest visit with my oncologist:

“Newest update: Lymphoma is very aggressive large B cell. Current chemo will knock it down, but it will return and I won’t survive without a bone marrow transplant up in Chicago. That will be after my chemo rounds are done in a few months. Still a “curable” cancer at this point, with the transplant.”

Good news indeed, and a reminder to those here to give blood and get on the Bone Marrow Donner list! It would be great if someone here, saved someone here. More prayers for a successful outcome. GWBD

Posts: 4403 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Scientific Beer Geek
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by striker1:

Striker,

Ask you oncologist is any monoclonal antibody therapies will help with your type of lymphoma. There are some anti-B cell therapies available but only your oncologist will know if they are appropriate.

Best of luck and you have my prayers too,

Mike (Molecular Biologist/Immunologist)

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy." - Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2078 | Location: Philadelphia Suburbs | Registered: August 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Dad recently finished a large B cell lymphoma battle. He couldn't use the 'best' chemo for it due to an underlying cardiac condition. The chemo he was allowed to undergo knocked it back well enough I guess. The bone marrow auto-transplant (stem cell) he was then able to do cured it. His last pet scan indicated that he was cancer free.

I truly hope you see similar results!
s.

Posts: 297 | Location: Ogden, UT | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Censored
posted Hide Post
You may be a candidate for one of the many CD19-directed chimeric antigen receptor (CAR) T-cells clinical trails. These treatments have proven to be very effective in the treatment of your type of lymphoma. You can go to clinicaltrials.gov and search the website for trials in your area. Chicago should have many going on there.

Posts: 2223 | Location: United States | Registered: February 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
God bless you, striker1. I faced the prospect of a bone marrow transplant 17 years ago. I am praying for you.

Posts: 8602 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Words fail me now, just don't know what to say.

May God Bless you and family and medical team to guide you through this to a successful outcome.

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post