SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Detectives who never forget a Face
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Detectives who never forget a Face Login/Join 
posted
A post by tac brought this story to mind of the London police.

http://www.newyorker.com/magaz...ognizer-police-force

Posts: 17225 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Thats a really good story.

While I don't think CCTV cameras on every corner is the answer for American cities, I enjoyed reading about these extraordinary LEOs in the UK.

quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
A post by tac brought this story to mind of the London police.

http://www.newyorker.com/magaz...ognizer-police-force

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I assume England has some sort of photo ID system. The should load all the ID photos into a facial recognition database. When the have the face of an unidentified perp on video, run that against the database and see it it generates a hit.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
I assume England has some sort of photo ID system. The should load all the ID photos into a facial recognition database. When the have the face of an unidentified perp on video, run that against the database and see it it generates a hit.

The main point of the article is that people are much better at making those identifications than the computers. Especially from video images.

Posts: 3435 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
A long read but fascinating.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3445 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post