SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    suggestions for fencing in garden beds?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

suggestions for fencing in garden beds? Login/Join 
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted
We've got 3 raised garden beds, roughly 4'x6' each.

Recently planted some herbs in pots on our deck and it looks like at least one of those pots has already been ransacked for seeds.

We've got crows, squirrels and rabbits at the very least in our yard.

Before planting everything else in our garden (tomatoes, peas, radishes, peppers, green onions), can you give me some suggestions for fencing? Preferably affordable.

One of the beds already has some 1x2s around it that the previous owners must have used for fencing, but none of the fencing is up.

What's an effective way to fence these things in, especially to keep out the birds and the squirrels?

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Screen material like you'd use on a patio. It comes in a widths that would cover the entire top. Sun can pass through it as well as light.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Hardware cloth or chicken wire/poultry netting. They’ll eat through screen material. At least they do here. Fasten it down at the edges.

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Poly bird netting will work too, unless it's rodents that are willing to chew through it.

Screen the bottom foot or so and poly above that. I wouldn't use screen or hardware cloth for the whole thing unless I absolutely had to due to expense and the fact that it's a pain in the ass to work around/over.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15209 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
I use a motion sensor sprinkler to discourage the critters. Before placement, the deer would regularly destroy my tomato crop, the last two years there has been no predation at all.

Posts: 6455 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post