SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cast Iron Cooking
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cast Iron Cooking Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Chain Mill and hot water for cleaning.

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.c...ChskG5RoCNXoQAvD_BwE

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pineapple Upside-Down cake done in a Lodge cast iron pan tonight by my Girlfriend, with classic protection:

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9143 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
We use a chair mail scrubber as well, but only if it needs it which is rare

Mark

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had to use one tonight, brown sugar bakes on pretty hard, even after soaking in hot water.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9143 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
My wife bought me one of the chain mail scrubbers for my Griswold, but I'm not crazy about it. They say it won't affect the finish, but I think it does, at least a bit. I still prefer kosher salt and a paper towel to clean her with.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost Allman Brother
Picture of S600MBUSA
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:
I still prefer kosher salt and a paper towel to clean her with.

This ^

Don't remember where I read the kosher salt suggestion, but it's just abrasive enough to remove food residue and doesn't seem to affect the seasoning layer.

-Winston Churchill, writing of the Pashtun

Posts: 3989 | Location: Holly Springs/Canton, GA | Registered: November 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
My wife bought me one of the chain mail scrubbers for my Griswold, but I'm not crazy about it. They say it won't affect the finish, but I think it does, at least a bit. I still prefer kosher salt and a paper towel to clean her with.

You clean your wife with kosher salt?

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
quote:

You clean your wife with kosher salt?

Well... no, but I do get salty with her sometimes. Then I usually regret it.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Facts are stubborn things
Picture of armedprof
posted Hide Post
I scrape my out with the spatula. Then run some water in it to rinse everything out. Put it on the stove with high heat. Once it is hot, I use the solid Crisco on a paper towel to coat it.

Works like a charm and the skillets are ready to go for the next excellent meal.

Do, Or do not. There is no try.

Posts: 1786 | Location: Just South of Charlotte, NC | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armedprof:
I scrape my out with the spatula. Then run some water in it to rinse everything out. Put it on the stove with high heat. Once it is hot, I use the solid Crisco on a paper towel to coat it.

Works like a charm and the skillets are ready to go for the next excellent meal.

I did this several times, then read somewhere that going from cold to high heat without a slight warmup can lead to warping the skillet, so now I "prewarm" on low for a few minutes to let it dry out after washing, then go to medium heat. I seldom go to high on stovetop before applying lard or olive oil.

-Dr. Adrian Rogers