SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cast Iron Cooking
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cast Iron Cooking Login/Join 
posted
Local grocery store had boneless ribeye steaks for a good price yesterday, so I got one for dinner. Local hardware store had a 3-pack of cast iron skillets on sale, so I picked those up too, and tried cooking the steak in cast iron for the first time. Life altering. I can't believe I never tried this before.

Who here is cooking with cast iron? How are you cleaning and storing your skillets? I've seen some places say absolutely DO NOT use soap to clean them, I've seen some say that's a myth and it really doesn't matter.

Share some tips if you have them, and of course, share some of your favorite recipes to make in cast iron.

May our caskets be made of hundred-year oak, and may we plant those trees tomorrow.

Posts: 812 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: January 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Aeteocles has the method I’ve used for some years for steaks. Sear in hot iron pan one minute on each side and 5 minutes under high broil in oven.

Only once has this come up short, on uncommonly thick steaks. Another minute would have done the trick.

You can search for his details.

Another useful dea is microwave corn on the cob, which I use all the time. Forget who provided it but it’s terrific.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
I normally just use cold water and a paper towel unless something is stuck on, then just cold water and one of those green scrubbie pads.

It hasn't seen soap in 50 years Big Grin

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a plain dutch oven from our wedding 32 years ago. Seasoned once with oil in a hot oven and soap has never touched it since. My go to for chili, pot roast or soup. On the stove or in the oven. Just clean with hot water and a plain chore-boy or 3M pad and wipe with a little cooking oil. food will not stick.

"The days are stacked against what we think we are." Jim Harrison

Posts: 1120 | Location: Ann Arbor | Registered: September 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
Another useful dea is microwave corn on the cob, which I use all the time. Forget who provided it but it’s terrific.

Is this the one?

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
No.

Try This.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
Aeteocles has the method I’ve used for some years for steaks. Sear in hot iron pan one minute on each side and 5 minutes under high broil in oven.

Only once has this come up short, on uncommonly thick steaks. Another minute would have done the trick.

You can search for his details.

Yes, I like this method...in the winter.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38657 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Wife and I use a 2" wide plastic putty knife (stowed with other utensils) for cleaning the cast iron.

Scrape, rinse with tap water, wipe out, then wipe with oil.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
I use one of those blue scratch free sponges that's dedicated to the cast iron. Just warm water and the sponge. I break out the little plastic scraper if something is really struck on. Then towel dry and a minute on the burner to get rid of the leftover water. Then wipe with oil and heat.

Posts: 6346 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
A Shugart post is where I learned the microwave corn shake shake shake method.

Posts: 4695 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
If you're going to get into cast iron cooking, follow Cowboy Kent Rollins here:

https://www.youtube.com/user/krollins57/videos

He seems like an awesome guy.

Posts: 13097 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I've cooked on cast iron for years. Skillets, griddles, and dutch ovens. Once you get the hang of it, it is a piece of cake.

Cleaning is a breeze: boil a little water in them, scrub (if need be) with a small scrubber brush, wipe out with a paper towel, smear a little lard in it, heat it up to just smoking and you're done...piece of cake.

For particularly messy pans I don't hesitate at all to use a little Dawn on the scrubber. It won't hurt a well seasoned pan in the least, just make sure you rinse it well.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
My pans will pretty much wipe clean depending on what I cooked in them. I made a apple cobbler in my 12" Griswold for Thanksgiving. The sugars got a little stuck to the bottom. After everybody ate I put the left over cobbler in a container. Put the pan on the stove and got it hot and deglazed with some water. Turned off the heat wiped the pan clean added a little oil and that was that.

There have been several long threads here regarding cast iron cleaning, care and what to buy.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8524 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I always deglaze my cast iron with water while its still hot, scrape gently with a spatula, dump the water and wipe dry.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:

+1

P.S. His cowboy coffee recipe looks interesting.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
I use my cast iron every day. Generally all I need to do is swirl some water through it while it's still hot.
Of course, it's a century old and seasoned to a fare thee well.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sportshooter:
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:

+1

P.S. His cowboy coffee recipe looks interesting.

I recently got his book Kents Cookbook and found it more than useful, it's also very entertaining. My sister knows him and says he's a great guy.

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
I do most of my cooking on the stove in cast iron pans, aluminum pots, and a large stainless stock pot. I the oven I mostly use a pyrex baking dish or either the terracotta chicken or turkey roaster.

These are what work best for me, though I am certainly not a gourmet cook. I have a large collection of ones that sounded good but disappointed. Copper is at the top of that list.

To clean the cast iron pan, once is cooled, I pour off the grease into the trash, then set the pan on the floor. Within a few minutes, it is Ridgeback clean which is 97% there. Then I pour in boiling water with a little dish soap, scrub with a brush, rinse well, dry and wipe down with olive oil and sometimes warm a little on the stove.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Who here is cooking with cast iron?

Not me. But I can say this.

Rice cooked in a cast iron with a secret special ingredient is the best tasting. Lard, not love. It allows for a whole lotta hatin'.

Knowing more by accident than on purpose.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Neel
posted Hide Post
I cook with Griswold cast iron which is older than me.

When it comes to cleaning I'll use a ss scrubber, no soap and dry it on the stove and take a little oil on a paper towel and give it rub on the bottom and sides.

Posts: 559 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: May 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post