SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need a New Receiver & Speakers
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need a New Receiver & Speakers Login/Join 
Picture of myrottiety
posted
Got a new TV as the old one finally crapped out. New Smart TV has HDMI ARC (old Onkyo doesn't). So need a new receiver. Speakers are just okay. So probably replace them if there is a decent deal.

Not trying to break the bank. What do you guys recommend? I'm no audiophile so anything lower to mid tier is likely fine.

On a nicer note it allowed me to move the Onkyo stereo and Speakers I made (Overnight Sensations MTM) upstairs and hook them up to my PC. The MTMs wouldn't fit due to the bigger TV.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8847 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Elac. Wink

I have a set of the 6.2(?) - or something like that) bookshelf speakers (front firing bass port) being driven by a Marantz 2252B.

Impressive, most impressive. Wink

Here's link:

https://www.amazon.com/ELAC-De...id=1620149780&sr=8-3

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Do you just want better sound from your TV?

What about a new soundbar, plenty of good options with HDMI ARC connections, subwoofers and BT rear speakers if you need full surround.

Posts: 23403 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Have considered a Sound Bar?
Sonos Arc for example is quite good.
Otherwise if you are going for a hard wired approach Costco has a Yamaha receiver priced well as well as Klipsch HT sets.
However, this is an area that requires some engineering consideration before anything is done.
What I mean is that while the above "deals" are good it may or may not be ideal for you environment.
Most want a quick one word answer or brand.
Take the time to consider:
1. What and how it will be used.
2. Room environment ~ size, ceilings, physical places to put the speakers.
^^^ includes being able to run wires, wife approval, etc
3. Budget
4. Expertise in setup and technical ability.

Good Luck

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

What about a new soundbar, plenty of good options with HDMI ARC connections, subwoofers and BT rear speakers if you need full surround.

My only issue with a sound bar. Is I already have speaker wire pulled from the front of the living room around and up the walls to speaker mounts that are hung in the back. So I figure why not use the mounts & wire I already have pulled & hidden.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8847 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Anthem makes a fine entry level processor that should do everything you need and for speakers, take a look at the Paradigm Prestige speakers

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
Elac. Wink

I have a set of the 6.2(?) - or something like that) bookshelf speakers (front firing bass port) being driven by a Marantz 2252B.

Here's link:

I have a set of ELAC paired with my McIntosh. At low levels, the Macs are a little short of full range. The ELACs fill in very nice at low volume. When I crank it up, I drop the ELACs and let the Macs do their thing

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6312 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Elac. Wink

Here's link:

I have these same ELACs paired with a mid-level Yamaha 5.1 receiver. Really good speakers for the price and makes a fine system for casual home entertainment.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by myrottiety:
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

My only issue with a sound bar. Is I already have speaker wire pulled from the front of the living room around and up the walls to speaker mounts that are hung in the back. So I figure why not use the mounts & wire I already have pulled & hidden.

Makes sense, most of the upper end sound bars have BT enabled satellite speakers for the rear, some are battery and some require power plugs, you could probably use the mounts, just don't need the wires, which allows you to move them around and find the optimum location for the rear sound.

Sound bars today come with tech that may not be in the amp, features like BT, Apple Play, Chromecast, Alexa, etc for voice command some even come with apps built in like Hulu, Netflix, Prime where you can tell the sound bar what you want to see by voice through Alexa, while Rosie the Robot brings you a fresh bourbon on ice... Big Grin

That was what I did, eliminated the wires and main Amp, went soundbar....

Posts: 23403 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dan03833
posted Hide Post
I swapped out my old Onkyo AV receiver for a Pioneer Elite unit. I'm not really disappointed with it. I paid in the neighborhood of $700 for it.

Posts: 1538 | Location: Rhode Island | Registered: February 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
We recently, bought all this for our newly finished basement.

Receiver: https://www.denon.com/en-us/pr...4O8lsugaAj3-EALw_wcB

This subwoofer: https://www.costco.com/.product.100526745.html

And this system: https://www.costco.com/klipsch...oduct.100665767.html

Matched with this TV: https://www.costco.com/lg-86%2...oduct.100676674.html

There are certainly better systems out there but for the price, we like it and it is much better than our sound bars.

Everything but the receiver was a Costco purchase.

Posts: 12461 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cne32507:
quote:
Elac. Wink

Here's link:

I have these same ELACs paired with a mid-level Yamaha 5.1 receiver. Really good speakers for the price and makes a fine system for casual home entertainment.

Yup.

When my house is built, acoustics were not a consideration. (Think a loft which allows sound to bounce into the living room off the ceiling.)

I have thee speakers set up in the loft and they easily fill the house with sound.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
^^^^
Nice BB!

myrott,

I went down the 2.1 path, intending to add more speakers.

Marantz NR1509 - using the HDMI ARC.
2 x Klipsch R-15M speakers
1 x REL subwoofer (speakon cable)

Happy with this for two years ... and still to add more speakers.

Smile

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cjevans:
^^^^
Nice BB!

Smile

^^^^

Thanks. I still need to reinstall everything. I’ve never had a stereo system so before I formally installed it, I used the cables that came with the speakers instead of the appropriate cables I installed in the wall, to see how everything came together. By the time I got everything figured out, over the course of two nights, I was done. So I put everything in place and haven’t found the time to go back and clean it up so you can’t see the cables. I’m also debating whether to keep the two bookshelf speakers or install ceiling speakers.

Price wise, the entire Klipsch system, including the subwoofer, was around $925 OTD. The receiver was $499 on sale and the TV was $1699-1799. The TV cabinet, aka my old credenza, is going once Mrs. BB61 can decide on a TV cabinet.

Posts: 12461 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
My brother in law got me going on Definitive Technology. I'm very satisfied.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Beware of the HDMI 2.1 faulty chip on the latest Denon, Marantz and Yamaha receivers.

I've been looking to replace my old amp and was drooling at Yamaha's new models (currently out of stock in most places) and found the reason why.

If you are not planning to use a gaming console and use HDMI 2.1 you got nothing to worry about.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12106 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Edifier R1280T Powered Bookshelf Speakers - 2.0 Stereo Active Near Field Monitors - Studio Monitor Speaker - Wooden Enclosure - 42 Watts RMS

They have a set with optical input for 30 dollars more.

I use these with an MP3 player in the computer room. 12x12

nevermind, missed the HDMI w/arc requirement.
I am using a SONY I bought at Costco. Only has one way bluetooth pairing though

Posts: 1402 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Tons of deals on Klipsch stuff right now - mostly through Adorama.

https://www.dealighted.com/?se...lipsch&sa.x=0&sa.y=0

Paducah Home Theater also gives nice prices on new Klipsch stuff if you call.

Posts: 17881 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JohnCourage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goose5:
My brother in law got me going on Definitive Technology. I'm very satisfied.

I have a 5.1 Definitive set that I have had for some time now. Been very happy with it.

JC

Posts: 1269 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
Bought a pair of used BP-6B's. Its an older pair and they sound fabulous. Bought a 8060 center channel that matches the towers. I'm still running a set of very old Polk 5jr. for the rear speakers, and a Deftech Pro Sub 800. Wasn't satisfied with the sub at first but some tweeking has it running better. My brother in law has the latest 9000 series everything.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: goose5,

Posts: 7522 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post