SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Favorite Firewood?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Favorite Firewood? Login/Join 
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
We typically have five to ten cords of red oak fall on the ranch roads each year. Without even getting into any cleanup projects other than keeping the roads clear we have more than we need to burn.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
We typically have five to ten cords of red oak fall on the ranch roads each year. Without even getting into any cleanup projects other than keeping the roads clear we have more than we need to burn.

We do the same thing at a friend's ranch. Last weekend in January 10-12 of us get together and rent a hydraulic splitter. Spend all weekend cutting and splitting fallen trees. Usually get 5-6 cords of wood

Posts: 1181 | Location: DFW Metromess | Registered: May 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
Red or Post Oak was always my favorite when I had my wood stove. White Oak was close too. Gum burned a long time but almost impossible to split, sometimes even with a splitter and left too much ash with clean up.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1857 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Our primary source of heat is wood, burned in a fireplace insert. We have lived here in N. Virginia since 1985 and have not bought a bit of firewood. A couple times I met a guy doing tree trimming work when he was at the landfill dumping wood. We reached a deal, he would deliver it to our place, dump it where we wanted it. We got the free wood, he didn't have to pay to dump it.

We live on nearly 5 acres of large trees, and I harvest the ones that die. Cut, split, stack, burn.

Virtually all the wood/trees we have here are deciduous. Only a few pine which I leave standing until they die and fall over by themselves. No need to burn that wood as we have plenty of hardwood.

Checked the lot the other day, 4-5 trees are dead-standing and will be dropped, and turned into firewood in the next few weeks.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John Steed
posted Hide Post
I didn't mention apple or cherry despite their excellent qualities. They are just too much work for what you get.

The power company did cut down a really big mulberry tree and left it in stove-length sections (but not split). It had lain there for about a year when I got to it. Then I split it and seasoned it for another year. It turned a beautiful light yellow and made wonderful firewood.

... stirred anti-clockwise.

Posts: 2057 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
Firewood BTU Ratings

My dad and my grandparents heat their houses with wood. Both houses sit about 100 yards apart on the same farm and they use white oak, red oak, and locust. Sure am glad I don't need to rely on busting wood to stay warm anymore, but I find it cathartic and great exercise. Hated it growing up though Mad

Posts: 2824 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted Hide Post
For 30 plus years we have burned Red Oak mostly but to be honest I have burned a variety ranging from all kinds of oak to locust to popular even a little cedar but never pine. All of the burning took place in out freestanding Fisher PaPa Bear and was our main source of heat with oil as back up.

My daughter and her family now live in our NoVa home and are to busy in their lives to burn wood.

Posts: 1949 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
Wood has been my primary heat source for over 50 years & we use five to six chords a year to heat our 140+ year old farmhouse. I use mostly oak, with some hickory, walnut & locust thrown in.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
...Sure am glad I don't need to rely on busting wood to stay warm anymore, but I find it cathartic and great exercise. Hated it growing up though Mad

I grew up heating with coal supplemented with a couple gas space heaters. So yes I well know it's nice just bumping up a thermostat for heat.

But it's also nice being toasty warm when it's cold outside without my heat pump ever cycling on. I'm sitting here now in a short sleeve shirt with the Jotul stove burning and the air handler to "fan on, and it's let me check...... a comfortable 73 in here. Yeah I could forgo the wood and heat it up to 73 with the heat pump but I never have, I'd probably set it at 67, wear a sweater, and use a lap blanket.
The reasons I primarily heat with wood are; my property is wooded so there's plenty of firewood which I kind of enjoying doing anyway and the house is well insulated so it doesn't take that much. After living in my previous poorly insulated home, wearing sweaters, and always a blanket on my lap, the furnace set to 67 yet still stupid high gas bills, I'm relishing being comfortably warm in my little house while paying almost nothing to the power company. Smile

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7040 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
Oak trees are plentiful on my family's property. Most of them are red oaks, with most of these reds being pin oaks. Usually, mother nature puts at least one mature oak on the ground for us any given year (and sometimes it doesn't fall over the half-mile long driveway or take down a power line), and other times we have to take a tree or two down as a preventative measure. So, we've got a pretty secure supply of nice oak. Had to deal with 4(!) big, mature red oaks this year, so we're swimming in firewood.

Just this weekend we took care of bucking up this 40"DBH monster that had its roots fail and blew down in a storm. 125 years old if you count the rings in the stump.

It made my ms362 look puny.

It was precariously sitting on a hillside, and it did roll once, quite unexpectedly. When it shifted, it took a saw for a ride, but no one was hurt and another tree arrested the roll before it smushed the saw.

Daddy's little helper was on hand to supervise!

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
^^^^^
Looks great. I am working on a White Oak that blew down. Where is your Fiskar's splitter??

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
^^^^^
Looks great. I am working on a White Oak that blew down. Where is your Fiskar's splitter??

The 27 ton hydraulic splitter is taking care of that business. Big Grin

-ShneaSIG

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just this weekend we took care of bucking up this 40"DBH monster that had its roots fail and blew down in a storm. 125 years old if you count the rings in the stump

Beautiful old tree- a shame it came down, but I'd love to have that much firewood sitting along the road Big Grin

Now to split, stack, and season it...

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Having been a professional chimney sweep for 37 years I'm always asked,

"What's the best kind of wood to burn?"

my answer is always the same:

"Free Wood"

The reason being that all wood with the same moisture content (seasoned is 15%) has the same BTUs by weight.... figure it out....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
quote:
Just this weekend we took care of bucking up this 40"DBH monster that had its roots fail and blew down in a storm. 125 years old if you count the rings in the stump

Beautiful old tree- a shame it came down, but I'd love to have that much firewood sitting along the road Big Grin

Now to split, stack, and season it...

We leave them be as much as we can - we're pretty proud of our big oaks. But, this one fell in a rather opportune position. We've had to let more than a few go over the years because there was no good way to get to the tree or get the wood out. We just had to clear a landing zone down the slope, because once free, those logs would roll and roll!

We're getting 40-50 good sized sticks of heartwood firewood per piece of stump!

-ShneaSIG

Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post

Been burning ash for QUITE some time now.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I usually burn oak or hickory, but the property we moved onto a few years ago had several - 30 or 40 - larger dead Dogwoods back in the woods. They were just standing there with the bark peeling off. Most were in the 8-10" diameter at the base. I pushed over most and cut the wood into firewood lengths. Probably been aging for 5 years so as long as they were still standing the wood was nice and hard. Burns nice and hot.

Posts: 868 | Location: Alabama | Registered: January 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Neel
posted Hide Post
My favorite is known as Tamarack, also called Larch.
It splits fairly easily and holds a good burn.

Posts: 559 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: May 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TRshootem
posted Hide Post
Yep, in Western MT most folks burn Western Larch(Tamarack). In the fall the tree needles turn yellow, entire forests of bright yellow timber scattered among pine and fir trees. Beautiful time of year in the mountains Cool

Posts: 1320 | Location: Montana | Registered: October 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
I found this a few years ago and always thought it a useful reference.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12305 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post