SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Favorite Firewood?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Favorite Firewood? Login/Join 
Keeping the economy moving since 1964
Picture of chbibc
posted
What's your favorite firewood?

I burn about 4-6 face cords a season, and this year I have lots of well seasoned black locust, hickory, white oak and sugar maple. For the last few years there's been a plethora of ash as the EAB has killed millions of them.

-----------------------
You can't fall off the floor.

Posts: 8527 | Location: Rochester, NY behind enemy lines | Registered: March 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Mulberry burns a very attractive multicolored flame. Spark screen is required!

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Red oak. Used to get slab wood delivered from the mill. Very good prices.

Posts: 17235 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DrDan
posted Hide Post
Almond. Burns hot with a nice, sweet smoke.

This space intentionally left blank.

Posts: 4876 | Location: Florida | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John Steed
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Red oak. Used to get slab wood delivered from the mill. Very good prices.
I live on the northern edge of an Oak Savannah so a lot of red oak available on this and the in-laws property. It's excellent firewood when seasoned properly.

... stirred anti-clockwise.

Posts: 2084 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of taco68
posted Hide Post
I burn approx six cords of Black Ash a year. It is for the most part "clean burning". Birch is also used a lot up here, but for me it burns dirty in the indoor stove. Now, if I had my choice, I would burn oak. We do have oaks here but are a little scarce at times.

Sigs P-220, P-226 9mm, & P-230SL (CCW)

Posts: 2539 | Location: Icebox of the Nation | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Tamarack for BTUs and low ash and Red Fir for colorful flames.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Averaging 6.3
posts per year
posted Hide Post
Sugar Maple and white oak belong in the smoker NOT in the fire pit. Wink

A small chunk of white oak on the coals is my absolute favorite for grilling steak. Much better than mesquite in my opinion.

Rick

Texting.......easier than calling.

Posts: 1366 | Location: P.C., FL - the emerald coast | Registered: September 15, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
My favorite is oak. It burns well and smells great.

That said, we have family who live in Arizona and every time they drive north my son gets them to bring some pinon logs. The smell of the pinon as those logs burn is a real treat.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6403 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Living in the West, the available wood for a fire is limited. I’ve had to harvest primarily conifers and quaking aspen for fires. IMO the best conifer for firewood is Doug fir, but then it’s also one of the most highly prized trees for lumber in the West as well. Piñon pine is much too pitchy; a mess to handle and a danger for chimney fires. Juniper (some say “cedar”) is cleaner but tough on a chain saw and hard to split. Ponderosa pine is...decent. Usually has a lot of knots that make splitting the wood challenging. Subalpine fir is as worthless as firewood as it is as lumber. Lodgepole pine is plentiful, usually easy to split, and burns pretty clean. Quaking aspen is very clean, but like all the above, just isn’t dense enough to last. You harvest and burn what’s available though.

I thought of this poem.

quote:
Beechwood fires are bright and clear
If the logs are kept a year,
Chestnut's only good they say,
If for logs 'tis laid away.
Make a fire of Elder tree,
Death within your house will be;
But ash new or ash old,
Is fit for a queen with crown of gold

Birch and fir logs burn too fast
Blaze up bright and do not last,
it is by the Irish said
Hawthorn bakes the sweetest bread.
Elm wood burns like churchyard mould,
E'en the very flames are cold
But ash green or ash brown
Is fit for a queen with golden crown

Poplar gives a bitter smoke,
Fills your eyes and makes you choke,
Apple wood will scent your room
Pear wood smells like flowers in bloom
Oaken logs, if dry and old
keep away the winter's cold
But ash wet or ash dry
a king shall warm his slippers by.
- Celia Congreve

Posts: 13258 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Works to Farm
Picture of Kyjondeere
posted Hide Post
1. White oak
2. Ash
3. Hickory
4. Red Oak

In this order.

Posts: 600 | Location: Western KY | Registered: November 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Pretty much my only choices around here are Oak and Pine. I'm about half way through a 1/2 chord of Oak I bought no less than 2-3 years ago and seems to be seasoned perfectly. Makes a GREAT fire that burns down to very hot coals. Oh...and this is for use in my outdoor fire pit; no need for an indoor fireplace in Houston, TX.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
CoolRich59 has it right. Pinon. We lived in New Mexico and used to burn that, Juniper and Cedar.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8100 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
PNW airtight stove with catalytic converter biscuit:

my very favorite, is high Cascade old growth Doug fir; now virtually impossible to acquire;

white oak works well enough;

alder has it's use; maple if you like tons of ash yet great heat;

juniper good smell but waywayway too volatile for any large use; madrone similar;

any kind of ash works very well but also hard to get;

large apple or cherry most excellent;

NOTE: after 45+ years splitting by hand, I bought an electric splitter this year. Wonderful!!!

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9854 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Good dry oak.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chbibc:
What's your favorite firewood?

I burn about 4-6 face cords a season, and this year I have lots of well seasoned black locust, hickory, white oak and sugar maple. For the last few years there's been a plethora of ash as the EAB has killed millions of them.

It varies year to year out of pretty much the same mix you list only add in cherry and red oak, actually I'd guess 1/3 cherry this year. My acreage is mostly wooded so there's no shortage of standing dead, or fallen trees. In case anyone isn't aware be careful cutting standing dead trees. Twice now, after I've cut almost through and it starts leaning to fall, I've had them break off up maybe 60' and the top 20-30' piece fell straight down just missing me.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7098 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
Free.
I've cut and split poplar, cherry, maple, white and red oak.

Anything but pine.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39752 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Is black locust commonly used for firewood? Occasionally I’m searching for wood for my smoker but the wood suppliers around my area do not know what type of wood they have other than it being hardwood. I don’t want to get black locust for barbecuing as I understand it has some sort of toxin in it. Anyone ever used it for barbecue?

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12436 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Keeping the economy moving since 1964
Picture of chbibc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
Is black locust commonly used for firewood? Occasionally I’m searching for wood for my smoker but the wood suppliers around my area do not know what type of wood they have other than it being hardwood. I don’t want to get black locust for barbecuing as I understand it has some sort of toxin in it. Anyone ever used it for barbecue?

I think if it's seasoned it is not toxic. It does not smell particularly good when it burns like apple, oak, sugar maple all do. - but it burns very hot (has a high btu content). It is great for its heat.

-----------------------
You can't fall off the floor.

Posts: 8527 | Location: Rochester, NY behind enemy lines | Registered: March 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Where I live:
White Ash- because there’s SO much of it from the EAB die offs.

Chestnut Oak- a lot have been dying lately, no idea why.

Hickory- burns hot, smells great.

Black Walnut- not as hot but smells good.

Apple- burns hot, smells great, but is very labor intensive with small returns.

I’d love to find a grove of Osage Orange locally I could clear for the wood, excellent hot firewood.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15576 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post