SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I'm going to start shopping for a new business vehicle
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I'm going to start shopping for a new business vehicle Login/Join 
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted
Right now I'm running a mowing and fertilizing business. I eventually want to phase out the mowing. I'm trying to decide whether to get another pickup or opt for a cargo van.

If I switch to a van I'll have to rebuild my spray rig to run electric pumps. If I stick with a pickup, I can keep the gas powered pumps but I'll want to buy or build a cover for the spray rig and mount it permanently. I want it lockable.

The van will smell like lawn chemicals, the truck cab will be separate from the chemicals in the bed.

Before I'm able to phase out the mowing, I'm concerned backing up a van with a trailer will be more difficult than a pickup.

I think a pickup may be more convenient and convenience equals speed and time is money. I also think a van is more secure and having something stolen from a truck really sucks.

I'm planning to go with another GMC. Probably a 3500. Engine suggestions welcome.

Opinions and suggestions go down there ↓

Posts: 45373 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I guess if it ain't broke, don't fix it (ie Pickup Truck).

Or you could really upgrade and get an EM-50.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
How tall is the spray rig? You could get a cap for a pickup or if the spray rig doesn't sit above the sides of the bed, a hard locking cover.

Posts: 6350 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:

I technically supposed to have the chemicals secure and a van wins in that department.

Posts: 45373 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What about putting all of the spray equipment, tank and etc. on a trailer that you tow?

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We ran GMC's 3500 with flatbeds on them with power reels and Duramax engines. Best rigs we found. We would buy the chassis and we have several bed manufacturers around here. Just pick the ones that worked the best.

Posts: 937 | Location: Greeley, CO | Registered: March 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ryan81986:
How tall is the spray rig? You could get a cap for a pickup or if the spray rig doesn't sit above the sides of the bed, a hard locking cover.
Unfortunately, it does rise above the sides of the bed. I can rebuild it with a truck bed tank that fits between the wheel wells but I need to be able to pull the hose. It has to be elevated and the cover would have to be completely out of the way, not angled with a little space for access.

W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bgouker:
We ran GMC's 3500 with flatbeds on them with power reels and Duramax engines. Best rigs we found. We would buy the chassis and we have several bed manufacturers around here. Just pick the ones that worked the best.
Any chance of you posting a picture? This sounds like a great idea. Do I really want to go diesel?

In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
quote:
Unfortunately, it does rise above the sides of the bed. I can rebuild it with a truck bed tank that fits between the wheel wells but I need to be able to pull the hose. It has to be elevated and the cover would have to be completely out of the way, not angled with a little space for access.

How about one of these?

Posts: 6350 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
quote:

How about one of these?
It's not bad. I can see that working. Of course back up visibility is limited like in a van.

In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
You could get tow mirrors and a backup camera mounted to the top of the cap.

His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I'm not going to tell you which to pick because I don't know enough. But if you choose a van, install a barrier between the passenger and cargo areas. You don't want pieces of equipment and heavy containers of liquids coming forward and hitting you in a crash.

Posts: 27956 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Something like this with a smaller box would probably be ideal for the fertilizing but would suck for dragging around a trailer.

https://m.gmfleet.com/gmc/savana-cutaway-van.html

His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
If you dislike backing, you won't like a trailer. Short trailers are difficult to back without jackknifing.

Posts: 27956 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
If you dislike backing, you won't like a trailer. Short trailers are difficult to back without jackknifing.
I drag a trailer every day. Homebase has neighbors with street parking. It makes backing in difficult. I really want to get out of mowing soon.

W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
You could get tow mirrors and a backup camera mounted to the top of the cap.
Great ideas.

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:

Stripes?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20821 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
a few things Mark. Are you going new or used?

I do not have a pix handy but a 1 ton with a Knapahide service truck that has the raised top on it would be the "cats meow" imho.

If you were going to go that route you would definitely want a diesel.

Not sure if Chev is still doing the 6.0 in their 3/4 ton's. Good engines, just thirsty. I would not go a big block gas. Unless you found a gem early to mid 1990's with the real 454, then maybe Wink

Here is some eye candy. Big Grin

https://bloomington.craigslist...-cab/6826296147.html

https://westernmass.craigslist...lity/6828459659.html

https://atlanta.craigslist.org...lity/6835339716.html

Check out #DO7059 in the last link.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19186 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
a few things Mark. Are you going new or used?

I do not have a pix handy but a 1 ton with a Knapahide service truck that has the raised top on it would be the "cats meow" imho.

If you were going to go that route you would definitely want a diesel.

Not sure if Chev is still doing the 6.0 in their 3/4 ton's. Good engines, just thirsty. I would not go a big block gas. Unless you found a gem early to mid 1990's with the real 454, then maybe Wink

Here is some eye candy. Big Grin

https://bloomington.craigslist...-cab/6826296147.html

https://westernmass.craigslist...lity/6828459659.html

https://atlanta.craigslist.org...lity/6835339716.html

Check out #DO7059 in the last link.

Going new. Used doesn't seem like a good deal anymore.

Strangely, I just discovered the knapheide website and if i can get something more compact, that would be ideal. This puts me back in the pickup camp. Good call!

posted Hide Post
Not wanting to create a thread drift, but why are you looking at getting out of mowing?

Posts: 679 | Location: MA | Registered: June 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post