SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any suggestions for good space heater
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any suggestions for good space heater Login/Join 
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
What Brand Ryan?
I can't find any that have across the board good feedback.

Anyone with thoughts or preferences about the electric fireplaces? Plug ins that have a mantle build around them?

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
Mine is a Pelonis.

Posts: 6349 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Our family room downstairs is just flat cold in the winter. I’m looking at something bigger and better, but we’ve been using a Dyson for at least three winters now and it helps a lot. Make sure that if you need to use an extension cord, that it can safely carry the load a heater like this will pull.

Posts: 13255 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
Apologies to Edmond for drifting his thread, but while Skins is here I'd like to ask about these Eheat devices.

Have you dealt with them? Are they all they're cracked up to be? I've thought about replacing a baseboard heater in the basement room with one of those, but I feel like I don't know enough.

Electric heat is electric heat,
both are 100% efficient.

Meaning watts is watts,
1 watt = 3.413 btu.

Companies who claim higher efficiency for their 'special' electric heaters are full of shit.

Only way to get better than 100% efficiency is to have a heat pump.

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by steve495:
We just picked up one of the radiator heaters that are filled with oil. It seems to work OK for the wife in her makeshift office area in the kitchen.

Although there is a risk with anything that is plugged in to AC, I don't think these radiator units are something to be overly concerned about when it comes to starting a fire. Am I missing something there?

That is the exact type of heater that some of my tenants used to burn down one of my houses. They get plenty hot to ignite combustibles in direct contact.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
quote:
Originally posted by steve495:
We just picked up one of the radiator heaters that are filled with oil. It seems to work OK for the wife in her makeshift office area in the kitchen.

Although there is a risk with anything that is plugged in to AC, I don't think these radiator units are something to be overly concerned about when it comes to starting a fire. Am I missing something there?

That is the exact type of heater that some of my tenants used to burn down one of my houses. They get plenty hot to ignite combustibles in direct contact.

It should have a thermal overload that cuts it off and/or a tstat that turns it off if the electricity if the oil gets too hot.

God I hate these damn things.

Please guys, fix your HVAC/insulation, don't use these things.

These things and replacing old smoke detectors has became my call to fame here, but it's my a passion of mine.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20819 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post