SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any suggestions for good space heater
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any suggestions for good space heater Login/Join 
I Am The Walrus
posted
For heating a large bedroom or living room.

Was looking at the Dyson units but they're pricey.

Posts: 13091 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Safety should be your biggest concern when buying one of these. They cause lots of fires when used improperly.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Skins will be here shortly to tell you why you should be very careful using an electric space heater on the typical household circuitry.

Posts: 26892 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From looking for them years ago, important rules were to never use an extension cord or power strip and make sure the area around the heater was clear of flammable materials. Some recommended never leaving them unattended and only using them on the low setting.

Power ratings were mostly the same with 750W and 1500W. Some have a switch to turn them off if they are tipped over. Some have thermostats that switch the heater element on and off depending on room temperature.

Beyond that stuff, price seems to be mostly about features and style.

Posts: 2360 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
What about a window heat pump? Probably $6-$700 but offers advantages such as lower operating cost plus they heat and cool. Plus they're still portable so in Winter place it where it's cold and in Summer move it to the hot area.
https://airconditionerlab.com/window-heat-pumps/

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7073 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steve495
posted Hide Post
We just picked up one of the radiator heaters that are filled with oil. It seems to work OK for the wife in her makeshift office area in the kitchen.

Although there is a risk with anything that is plugged in to AC, I don't think these radiator units are something to be overly concerned about when it comes to starting a fire. Am I missing something there?

Steve

Small Business Website Design & Maintenance - https://spidercreations.net | OpSpec Training - https://opspectraining.com | Grayguns - https://grayguns.com

Evil exists. You can not negotiate with, bribe or placate evil. You're not going to be able to have it sit down with Dr. Phil for an anger management session either.

Posts: 4989 | Location: Windsor Locks, Conn. | Registered: July 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by steve495:
We just picked up one of the radiator heaters that are filled with oil. It seems to work OK for the wife in her makeshift office area in the kitchen.

Although there is a risk with anything that is plugged in to AC, I don't think these radiator units are something to be overly concerned about when it comes to starting a fire. Am I missing something there?
Besides the obvious tip-over fire, house fires caused by overloaded circuits. Chinese POS plugged in for hours/days/weeks at a time drawing high amps and unattended. Much different than plugging in a 10 amp vacuum cleaner and using for a few minutes.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23209 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by steve495:

I use one of those in the winter, just heating the bedroom a little. I like it. It's trouble-free, doesn't stink, and is good heat.

On a different note, I just bought one of these DeLonghi ceramic heaters for my work office. I've only run it for an hour, in a [roughly] 200 square foot office, and it does a really nice job. I wanted to get another of the oil-radiator types, but this unit can sit on top of the tool box and take up a lot less space.

God bless America.

Posts: 13486 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
Skins will be here shortly to tell you why you should be very careful using an electric space heater on the typical household circuitry.

Don't need to, you just did. Smile

I highly recommend against it unless you are using it on a dedicated 20A circuit.

They use 80% of the capacity of you circuit 12A/1500W, standard bedroom circuitry is 15A/1800W. So that leaves you room for (4) 60 watt light bulbs on the entire circuit before you hit 100%.

This is assuming that all the electrical equipment in your home is in new condition, and that the installer did the installation perfectly. If not you may be exceeding the ability of your circuitry to handle the load, but not the circuit breakers trip rating.

Granted I used to do this for a living so I saw a lot of fires or near misses caused by space heaters, but I really wish you wouldn't do it. Contact your HVAC company and/or insulator and fix the problem with the cold bedroom instead of putting an unsafe bandaid on it. If you insist on running electric heat, then have an electrician install a dedicated 20A circuit for it or a actual baseboard heater.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20810 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Apologies to Edmond for drifting his thread, but while Skins is here I'd like to ask about these Eheat devices.

Have you dealt with them? Are they all they're cracked up to be? I've thought about replacing a baseboard heater in the basement room with one of those, but I feel like I don't know enough.

God bless America.

Posts: 13486 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
The heater we use in the bathroom arc’d this morning, throwing a huge blue glow and roaring noise, sounded like someone was stickwelding, until I pulled the plug from the wall. We have had this one for a few years and I blew the dust out of it last year with compressed air, so I know it wasn’t dust...anyone who has ever smelled an electrical fire knows what I’m talking about.

I took it out side and threw it away. Not even going to autopsy it.

We only use it to make the bathroom warmer in the morning until 5e house heat catches up.

Mrs Mike ordered a new on on Amazon at lunch.

Be aware. Never know when things can go wrong.

We have a two year old home, there was only one thing turned on on that circuit.

Skins is right.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11269 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
Another vote for oil filled radiator heater. They don't have a fan, so it takes a bit for the space to reach temp but they're quiet and infinitely adjustable from lowest to highest setting for perfect warmth in most home sized rooms. Picked up a couple at Walmart several years ago for about $40 each. The electric ones with fans I have, now live in storage.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
VT, not familiar with that particular brand, but for the similar ones I have installed in the past as long as you are at less than 80% of the circuit it shouldn't matter from an electrical safety standpoint. Since I haven't used that brand or installed more than a dozen panel style ones I can't really speak to the product safety or the category safety.

I never really saw the appeal of these units, I know people think they look better than baseboard, but I don't really think they look much better.

I contacted the company via chat. All units they offer are the same, 500w. Doesn't matter the voltage or if it is hardwired or plug in.

I am pasting their recommendation below. With your existing set up you could use it as hardwired 120/240 or add an outlet and use the plug in model. The only advantage to using it as a 220v hardwired unit would be you could add more units than you would be able to if you used one of the two 120v offerings.

I see nothing wrong with this type of product other than the fact the manufacture has a section on their website for recalls.

The cool thing about the product is that it only uses 500w so it would be a lot easier to use on an existing circuit than a traditional space heater because of the lower wattage (assuming that circuit isn't already overloaded). 500w is about the power consumption of a medium sized to large sized chandelier using conventional light bulbs.

Here's what they said about sizing/number of units.

quote:
Our 500 watt envi heater has been specifically designed to heat an average room measuring 130 - 150 square feet in floor area, to between 68 and 72 degrees, even in the coldest parts of the country. In rooms that have one or more of the following conditions: inferior insulation, many windows, staircases leading upwards, adjoining rooms that cannot be closed off (open plan). outside entrances or no other heat source - this ratio may have to be lowered slightly to about 100 square feet. For rooms with above average insulation or warmer climates this ratio might be able to be increased. You can add as many heaters as you like to heat any size room, home or office. For rooms with no insulation or for rooms such as sunrooms with entire walls made of glass we recommend a ratio of one 475/500 watt heater per 60-80 square feet of floor area.
If your space is larger than 150 square feet, we recommend adding 1 Envi heaters for every additional 150 square feet. Multiple heaters within one large space should be mounted on opposing walls or strategically and evenly spaced within the area if possible.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20810 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Jesse!

The draw for me is the opening up of the wall space. With a baseboard heater spanning 4' or so, I'm limited with respect to furniture against the wall (bookcases, for instance). That panel isn't nearly as wide, essentially opening up wall space, which would be good in this little 10x15 room. Based on the info you quoted, this 500W unit ought to be plenty for this room.

Thank you again.

God bless America.

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
The heater we use in the bathroom arc’d this morning, throwing a huge blue glow and roaring noise, sounded like someone was stickwelding, until I pulled the plug from the wall. We have had this one for a few years and I blew the dust out of it last year with compressed air, so I know it wasn’t dust...anyone who has ever smelled an electrical fire knows what I’m talking about.

I took it out side and threw it away. Not even going to autopsy it.

We only use it to make the bathroom warmer in the morning until 5e house heat catches up.

Mrs Mike ordered a new on on Amazon at lunch.

Be aware. Never know when things can go wrong.

We have a two year old home, there was only one thing turned on on that circuit.

Skins is right.

I am only addressing the less obvious over loading of the circuity that most people don't consider with space heater use. You are addressing another one of the the possible hazards - product failure. The last one is the most obvious one which is fire from direct contact or tipping which most manufactures have eliminated with kill switches from them either not being up right or from a thermal cutoff.

There are in fact three dangers:

- Circuit overload
- Product defects/failure
- Fire from contact/proximity with combustible materials.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4098 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
I have a small oil filled unit that works well and have been using for the last three years. It takes a little time to warm but it works well.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I live in an old house so the std. house circuits are no go. I put in dedicated 20a circuit so my wife can have supplemental electric during the morning while our steam boiler comes online (takes a long time). In one room it was a baseboard unit and in another one of the small ( 500/1000/1500w) oil fired radiator like units. I think the latter actually works better and has the advantage that in the summer we can put it somewhere else.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a ceramic heater about the size of a toaster. Works great! It was a gift so don't know where it came from Job Lot or Xmas tree shop. WallyWorld may be another source. I use it in an unheated room in a cabin. Don't have access to check wattage.

Posts: 141 | Location: Ma. | Registered: November 18, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
Another vote here for the oil filled radiator type. I have one that I use in the bedroom to take the edge off (Whoever put in the HVAC should be shot, they didn't put any returns on the 2nd floor so the heat struggles to heat up the bedroom). Mine has a low/med/high. Low I think is 600, med is 900 and high is the full 1500w. I never use high unless I'm absolutely freezing and even then it's only for a minute or two to give it a head start. I'll usually use medium and then once it gets up to temp I'll drop it to low and set the thermostat til the relay clicks. They hold temp very well and are very efficient. I also like them because there is none of the burning hair smell that some space heaters have and the only noise it makes is when it clicks on/off every so often as the temperature fluctuates.

Posts: 6344 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post