SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Question for Woodman, or Violinists
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question for Woodman, or Violinists Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted
How long is a standard violin? Overall length. How about a standard bow?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 459 | Location: ATL | Registered: March 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by guinness301:
Here is some info.

http://internationalschoolpare...d-know-violin-sizes/
A lot of information there, but unless I missed it, my question was not answered.

I'm looking for the overall, end-to-end length.

EDIT: Found it elsewhere. Total length, 23.5" Bow length 29.5"

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E Pluribus Unum
Picture of JRC
posted Hide Post
Discrete AR-15 case??? Wink

Posts: 1407 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: March 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JRC:
You got me, dude.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Full size violins run from about 23" to 23.5". The size is not written in stone, and can vary a bit from maker to maker.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E Pluribus Unum
Picture of JRC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
You got me, dude.

Where you live, V-Tail, I'd go the tennis racket route. I bet more people in our "general" age group play tennis than the violin in Florida.

https://www.amazon.com/Battle-...d+tennis+racket+case

Or similar.

Posts: 1407 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: March 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Total Clown Shoes
posted Hide Post
If you are just needing a case I probably have a spare laying around I'd be happy to send you.

Posts: 414 | Registered: November 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
You got me, dude.
Where you live, V-Tail, I'd go the tennis racket route. I bet more people in our "general" age group play tennis than the violin in Florida.

https://www.amazon.com/Battle-...d+tennis+racket+case

Or similar.
Yeah, but a violin case has more "cool" factor. Cool

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
www.sharmusic.com for cases of all shapes and sizes.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Full size violins run from about 23" to 23.5". The size is not written in stone, and can vary a bit from maker to maker.

This about nails it. Usually one measures the body and the string scale also. I've run across a whole bunch of violins a little smaller here, a little wider there, that did not fit neatly into one size category. But I did learn putting ¾ size strings on a 4/4 is no good. Too much string tension.

I could run downstairs and measure a couple, but I already know one is about 23.5" and the other is an oddball which may have the overall length but the upper bout is narrower than a standard 4/4. An odd violin, indeed. A hoot to play, though.

Got your mm stick handy? Wink

This is the one on my fridge, all three pages taped together:
http://www.makingtheviolin.com/Measurements

Here is a different one in case I want a different answer for the same fiddle.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post