SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Police in Asheville, NC respond to blocked road complaint
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Police in Asheville, NC respond to blocked road complaint Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted
quote:
What do you do if you're a cop responding to a complaint of a giant slip n' slide? You join in.

A group of North Carolina officers got to partake in some early 4th of July fun in Asheville on Monday while responding to a complaint.

The officers were responding to a street complaint when they came across the slip and slide that had been built for an annual 4th of July neighborhood block party.

"We have 20 plus kids in the four blocks. So this year the dads built a slip and slide in the street for the kids (and adults)," Katlen Joyce Smith tells FOX 46 Charlotte. "This year, someone called the police at 11:30 a.m. and said we were blocking the road."

Obviously, not all the neighbors were excited about the street being blocked off. After stressing the importance of safety and addressing the neighbors concerns, the officers ended up joining in on the fun.

"When the female officer asked for a garbage bag, we almost didn't believe it. But she took off her radio and went for it!"

Katlen Joyce Smith posted video of the officers taking a plunge down the street to Facebook.

"We didn't have a bag big enough for Officer Joe Jones, for obvious reasons. So he went in the double tube! (which had been used all morning by the kids) so he got wet in his seat."

http://www.fox46charlotte.com/news/265483801-story

(Both videos at the link.)

I've shot hoops on duty. I've played kickball on duty. But I've never been on a slip-and-slide on duty. Big Grin

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's just outstanding. Too bad about the asshole neighbors.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"And it's time that particularly, some of our corporations learned, that when you get in bed with government, you're going to get more than a good night's sleep."
- Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5785 | Location: Pegram, TN | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is always one that ruins it for the rest of them. The uniforms played it well.

Posts: 4043 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What a great way to show kids and adults that cops are good people too!
They need to pull the snobs out and show them what a good time is.
My mom in her 70s would still climb on a sled or toboggan and slide down a hill. Hope I do the same!

P226 9mm CT
Springfield custom 1911 hardball
Glock 21
Les Baer Special Tactical AR-15

Posts: 1126 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So why is it ok some neighbors were blocking the road?

Have all the fun you want on your property or that of participating neighbors, but the neighbors not partaking in the activity have just as much right to use the road.

Posts: 880 | Registered: October 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Roads are for cars.

Posts: 9957 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
Roads are for cars.

Yup.

Why couldn't the dads who built the slide have gotten a permit (like one you get to have a parade) to use the street that way for a few hours?

I bet they could have. There's usually a process in every community/county for making sure that everybody's good intentions can get taken care of with due consideration of everybody's needs and convenience/inconvenience.

But instead they just shut the street off for everybody else. Kind of ass-holeish of them, on a fundamental level. But then it becomes the people who were actually inconvenienced that are labeled the bad guys when they complain?

Smacks of a power play, small-town/neighborhood politics. Not knowing the neighborhood, you really can't tell who is ruining what for whom; who are the "snobs", really? Is it the guys that built the slip&slide, or is it the people they inconvenienced? If you'd ever experienced small-town politics, you'd be hesitant to make that call so fast as some who have posted in this thread have done.

Thanks,

Sap

Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
"Roads are for cars, dammit!"

* One day out of the year
* Also stated by those who would burn our flag

Let's relax and enjoy some neighborly fun.

"Blocking the road!"

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10703 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post

Lighten up, Francis(es).

The officers, who were actually there and who actually known NC law, determined that it was fine.

And you can seen from the pictures and videos that the slip-and-slide only takes up a portion of the street no wider than the cars that are parked on the curb just past it. So the street wasn't blocked.

From http://wlos.com/news/local/ash...od-4th-of-july-party
quote:
The officers told the residents that the slide was far enough over to the side that vehicles could safely get past

And from http://www.wyff4.com/article/a...l-attention/10257770
quote:
"Once we realized there were no laws being broken and everything was fine, we decided to mingle a little bit,"

So take a deep breath, smile, have a cold beverage, enjoy some barbecue, and just relax...

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Lighten up, Francis(es).

+1. Some people are just grumpy.

Posts: 2479 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Well, unless it's a cul-de-sac or a dead-end street, it should be no problem, because there is an alternate route in and out. (Assuming that the only blocked driveways were the participating homes.) Admittedly it might be a slight inconvenience, but not worthy of making an issue of it.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
"My butt is wet..." lol Not a thing wrong with what I saw in that article. Absolutely love cops like these!

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29684 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
+1.

Reminds me of the kids playing basketball one in Florida last year Link

Posts: 4009 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Seems like some people are just natural born assholes, and have to complain about every thing.

Good on the cops!!

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25642 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
This is commonly done (blocking the street) for block parties all over the country for various celebrations. Most cities will even bring barricades to block the roadway for a block party. My department's requirement was that emergency vehicles be able to pass and that someone be accountable. Obviously some neighbor's hemorrhoids were acting up.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ukhayes
posted Hide Post
Seems some of the neighbors are Sigforum members!

Posts: 496 | Location: White House,TN | Registered: May 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HayesGreener:
This is commonly done (blocking the street) for block parties all over the country for various celebrations. Most cities will even bring barricades to block the roadway for a block party. My department's requirement was that emergency vehicles be able to pass and that someone be accountable. Obviously some neighbor's hemorrhoids were acting up.

When the neighborhood has a block party, how do you know to go put up the barriers? Somebody from the neighborhood has to get a permit, right? Some sort of coordination takes place to make it a permitted use of the road for that time, right?

So why didn't the folks that threw the party do that coordination?

What I'm getting at here is that neighborhood/small-town politics are harder to figure out than what a first glance might make one think.

Yes, the people that complained might just be a bunch of sticks-in-the-mud, grumpy curmudgeons, mean people looking to hassle the people that threw the party.

Or, maybe the folks that threw the party were deliberately sticking a finger in the eye of the people that complained by just surprising them, showing them who's the alpha, who counts and who doesn't.

The ones partying should've done it right when they coordinated the party. They didn't. The ones complaining should've had more of a live-and-let-live attitude. They didn't. Why that situation exists is hard to say. Who is being the butt-head is hard to say.

That the cops didn't let themselves be used or act like dickheads at the bidding of one party or the other is good, shows that they were professional and even-handed.

Thanks,

Sap

Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
sweet Big Grin

nice job on the cops

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I love the size difference of the two cops. He is a giant and she is small and petite. What a team. Big Grin

https://s25.postimg.org/5t699i...71563_o_14991037.jpg

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Before reading the link I provided here I'd like to congratulate the officers on having some fun with the locals and spreading good will along the way. My daughter has lived full time in Asheville for the last 12 years so I have been there many, many, times. She has told me many stories of the past problems with the police department and hopefully things are better and getting better. This was not always the case.

http://www.citizen-times.com/s...ain-future/20944059/

Posts: 137 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: February 23, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post