SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Can you use a router to mill slots in aluminum?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can you use a router to mill slots in aluminum? Login/Join 
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted
Can you use a router to mill a small channel in some thin (1/8") aluminum? Or is this a bad idea?

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4930 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
I have seen wood routers used on aluminum. No idea if it's a good idea or not.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15717 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Could be a terrible idea. You're going to have to control those forces...

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29699 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes. Provided you have the right bit. Those 80% lowers usually come with a small end mill that you put in your router to mill it out.
You can cut aluminum with your table saw/miter saw as well. I used to weld aluminum at my last shop and we used a commercial chop saw made for wood and a regular table saw on aluminum daily

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Aluminum is soft, even a file or sandpaper will make short work of it. A router and the right bit could easily do it.

The right table and jig/fences would be key, I think, just holding everything securely and square.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
It would be a challenge.
I wonder if the router speed would be too fast.

Posts: 22907 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
do it all the time, if you have a variable speed router it will help. buy the correct bit, and I use aluminum tapping fluid.

Posts: 5594 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Speed was my concern as well. You might be better off with a variable speed drill press the proper bit and cutting fluid.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
We have CNC routers at work that chew through aluminum effortlessly.

Just cut in layers and lube each pass.

Make you a jig and buy the bit and everything will be fine.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
Depends on the grade of aluminum. But for most stuff that you would buy at a local hardware store of metal supply, yes. Take all the right safety precautions. Make sure you have a jig or you WILL ruin the piece. Wear good eye protection as it will throw chips all over the place.

But yeah. Several places that sell 80% lowers have instructions or jigs to facilitate milling those out with routers.

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

Posts: 8351 | Registered: July 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Take proper precautions. aluminum chips will damage your eyes very easily. Also aluminum dust is explosive if ignited.

Posts: 1040 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PeteF:
Take proper precautions. aluminum chips will damage your eyes very easily. Also aluminum dust is explosive if ignited.

Oooh a thermobaric bomb! I wanna watch!

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cne32507:
quote:

Oooh a thermobaric bomb! I wanna watch!

Mix powdered Al with FFFFG blackpowder.

Poooomm!!!

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31441 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For metal/aluminum a router is extremely fast. Clamping the work and light cuts is the way to do it. If the cutter grabs the work either the work will go flying or the router will. Both could be a bad thing. Chips will be flying with extreme speed as well. They will cut you and/or blind you.

If you happened to have a steel splinter in your eye the doctor might take it out with a magnet. This is not possible with aluminum. Removal may be a bit more primitive.

Practice on some scrap pieces first. That will be worth the time, guaranteed. I believe the cutter must be carbide so it won’t weld aluminum chips to the cutting edge. This is also why lubricant is important.

IIRC cutting speed for aluminum is about 700-800 surface feet per minute. That is about 3200 rpm for a 1/4” router bit. A woodworking router runs in the range of 20,000 rpms. While the router will do the job, please be very cautious and respect the power and speed of the machine.

When it is done the job may not be pretty. Even smaller cuts/passes with more of them will help the quality.

Posts: 2132 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At one of my previous employers, the CNC router station utilized the big 3-1/4? HP Porter Cable router to cut 6061 Aluminum plate to at least 3/8" thickness. No memory with regard to bit material, rpm's.

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1527 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
In other words, don't do it free hand. You'll shoot yer eye out.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29699 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
Speed was my concern as well. You might be better off with a variable speed drill press the proper bit and cutting fluid.

Using a drill press as a router/mill is iffy.

They aren't designed for sideways loads on the bit. Besides the possibility of damage to the drill press, drill press chucks aren't actually attached to the spindle at all, they just have a taper on the back that presses in to the spindle and kind of locks in place. Putting sideways load on a bit has a tendency to make the chuck literally just fall right out of the drill press.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

AND, VERY harmful if you breath the dust in when you cut it. Wear a particle mask when you cut it.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the feedback. I think I'll look at other options. I'm kind of fond of my eyes and lungs Big Grin

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4930 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post