SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Critics rip University of California for favoring illegal immigrants over out-of-state Americans
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Critics rip University of California for favoring illegal immigrants over out-of-state Americans Login/Join 
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted
Here's yet another story that exposes how the left puts illegal immigrants in front of US citizens. These stories are quite frequent but they always manage to chap my backside because they are so wrong.

A California university’s decision to put a limit on the number of American citizens it enrolls -- while placing no such restrictions on illegal immigrants who want to attend the school -- is drawing sharp criticism from education activists.
The regents in the University of California system recently instituted Regents Policy 2109 in response to state lawmakers threatening to withhold from the university system nearly $20 million if school officials didn’t cap the number of out-of-state American students. The university's response to the state government’s threat was to limit the percentage of out-of-state American students in the student body to 18 percent on most campuses.

The move is being criticized as discriminatory against Americans.

“The UC system, like many others around the country, is routinely giving preferential treatment to illegal aliens at the expense of American students, many of whom are attending at great sacrifice of their parents,” Kyle Olson, founder of Education Action Group, told Fox News.

“It is disturbing to know the UC system is not even sure how many illegal students it has enrolled and is enabling by not enforcing our immigration laws.”

The University of California currently has 16.5 percent of its student body comprised of out-of-state students. It’s estimated that there are roughly 3,700 illegal immigrants studying in the UC system.

Officials for the University of California say that the school system is simply being consistent with state law.

“This policy applies to students who, under California law AB (Assembly Bill) 540, qualify as state residents for tuition purposes,” Ricardo Vazquez, spokesman for the University of California, said to Fox News. AB 540 allows students to pay in-state tuition fees if they meet certain requirements.

Olson says the policy may actually hurt the state and its students.

“Ultimately, and ironically, the California government is actually penalizing Californians by not counting illegals as out-of-state students and thus allowing them to, in effect, take seats away from in-state students,” he said.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017...state-americans.html

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Hmmmm, who's the head of the University of California university system. Oh yeah, our ex-head of the US Dept of Homeland Security Janet Napolitano. Ironic isn't it. Roll Eyes

And let us not forget....On April 25, 2017 the California State Auditor issued a report that Janet Napolitano and her University of California Office of the President secretly failed to disclose $175 million dollars and engaged in misleading budget practices.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
You're missing the whole point, Sigmanic.

America is great only because America (mostly conservative white males) has oppressed, enslaved, and in all ways mistreated, everyone on the planet, except themselves. It is merely social justice that we give free tickets to the gravy train to those who dishonor America, which tickets are paid by law abiding citizens.

So get a grip. Wink

(I am going to need a larger barf bucket). Smile

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
Hmmmm, who's is head of the University of California university system. Oh yeah, our ex-head of the US Dept of Homeland Security Janet Napolitano. Ironic isn't it. Roll Eyes

And let us not forget....On April 25, 2017 the California State Auditor issued a report that Janet Napolitano and her University of California Office of the President secretly failed to disclose $175 million dollars and engaged in misleading budget practices.

I would bet that $175 million is only one of the slush funds.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
Why did I take S.A.T. and other tests? Why was I interviewed before college? I don't know.

Whatever happened to aptitude, and to a certain extent, college capacity.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6312 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
You're missing the whole point, Sigmanic.

America is great only because America (mostly conservative white males) has oppressed, enslaved, and in all ways mistreated, everyone on the planet, except themselves. It is merely social justice that we give free tickets to the gravy train to those who dishonor America, which tickets are paid by law abiding citizens.

So get a grip. Wink

(I am going to need a larger barf bucket). Smile

Yes, I can see that my perspective isn't in keeping with the times. Perhaps I'm not...............wait for it.............................progressive? Wink

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hamden106:
Why did I take S.A.T. and other tests? Why was I interviewed before college? I don't know.

Whatever happened to aptitude, and to a certain extent, college capacity.

The answer is, you are a white male, you have to follow the rules.

The dominant mantra in much of education today is Social Justice which really means all minorities need to have the same rewards as the "privileged class" regardless of their knowledge, skills, achievements, level of effort.

As I have posted before, at the start of the college year last Sept a Silicon Valley college, noted for "diversity", featured the Pres' select student panel of "diversity". One student flatly stated (summarized) "it is more important for a student to get and use political power while in college than it is to get and use marketable skills".

Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I lost ALL respect for the UC system when they brought in Napolitano.

Worst possible choice.Ever.

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Votes baby. Illegals are quickly converted to democrats by virtue of handouts and free shit.

That's why they favor them any time they can.

They want to RULE this country.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20319 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have to decide if we're a Nation of Laws or not. If so then the University should be prosecuted for breaking the law.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13397 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
Votes baby. Illegals are quickly converted to democrats by virtue of handouts and free shit.

That's why they favor them any time they can.

They want to RULE this country.

RMD
Yes. When (say) BLM does a hostile takeover of the Left and kicks these sexually confused and self-loathing white people out of the club they started, I wonder if they'll see how self-defeating their ways were-on micro and macro levels.

Posts: 5750 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
they will never, ever see the error of their ways

I am convinced 100% that liberalism is a mental defect and not just a character flaw

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
The article overstates the facts a bit.

The university policy is to limit out-of-state students. That's fair. The UC system is subsidized by California residents, and there should be a limit of out of state residents it enrolls. Enrolling out of state students beefs up the school's coffers, but doesn't result in any refund into the state's budget. So, the state says: stop double dipping in the tuition money, use the money we're already giving you to enroll California residents, or we're reducing your budget.

That's all fair.

The issue that's being over-stated is that so long as you are a California resident, you get the California tuition rate. Many California residents are illegal.

So, the article extrapolates (unfairly, in my opinion) a move to protect California residents from having their money spent to subsidize out of state students (illegal or not), into a move to favor illegal immigrants.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
So, the article extrapolates (unfairly, in my opinion) a move to protect California residents from having their money spent to subsidize out of state students (illegal or not), into a move to favor illegal immigrants.

That is my reading also.

It is only fair that a State funded system should favor residents of that State. Do other state funded colleges systems not cap the number of non-residents allowed to attend?

Out of state students are welcome to pay to attend any non-State funded college

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14180 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:

The university policy is to limit out-of-state students. That's fair. The UC system is subsidized by California residents, and there should be a limit of out of state residents it enrolls. Enrolling out of state students beefs up the school's coffers, but doesn't result in any refund into the state's budget. So, the state says: stop double dipping in the tuition money, use the money we're already giving you to enroll California residents, or we're reducing your budget.

That's all fair.

The issue that's being over-stated is that so long as you are a California resident, you get the California tuition rate. Many California residents are illegal.

I think you are reading it incorrectly. Many state schools cap out-of-state enrollment, and that is perfectly fine and reasonable. But California is going a step further -maybe not be design but by effect. As I understand it, they are declining to apply the caps to illegal immigrants. The result is that once the cap is reached on out of state enrollment, out of state residents who are US citizens are categorically denied admissions while illegal aliens from other states still have a chance to be considered for admissions. That is blatant discrimination based on national origin which violates the US Constitution.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:

That's all fair.

I googled UC Berkeley tuition, got the info below:

quote:
...The following table outlines the costs described above for the 2015 - 2016 school year.

Out-of-State tuition and fees $38,139
In-State tuition and fees $13,431
http://www.collegefactual.com/...ge/tuition-and-fees/

So it seems an out of state student pays a surcharge of $24,708 per year, which money would go into the UC coffers. It also seems to me that by accepting an illegal rather than an out of state student, you don't get the $25K surcharge, you likely won't get the basic $13K. I don't see how this protects the CA taxpayers.

posted Hide Post
Usually the out of state students pay much, much more than in-state students for tuition. Judging by Janet Napolitano's penchant for hiding money, and most likely diverting it, she is probably trying to collect all the money she can to fund her friends and causes.

The UC system is rife with lesbians helping other lesbians, usually with the added goal of stabbing heterosexuals in the back when possible. An example of U of Cal's "progressivism" is their hiring of Angela Davis to be a professor at UC Santa Cruz. Her guns were used in a court room takeover and attempted prisoner escape. Superior Court judge Harold Haley died, and a prosecutor was paralyzed in the action. She claimed to have no knowledge or participation of the crime. She is now retired and collecting a very healthy pension from the State of California.

I feel that in the USA we are often in a fight against evilness that wants to tear down everything that is good. Obama, Holder, and Napolitano are definitely are on the evil side.

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
quote:

That's all fair.

I googled UC Berkeley tuition, got the info below:

quote:
...The following table outlines the costs described above for the 2015 - 2016 school year.

Out-of-State tuition and fees $38,139
In-State tuition and fees $13,431
http://www.collegefactual.com/...ge/tuition-and-fees/

So it seems an out of state student pays a surcharge of $24,708 per year, which money would go into the UC coffers. It also seems to me that by accepting an illegal rather than an out of state student, you don't get the $25K surcharge, you likely won't get the basic $13K. I don't see how this protects the CA taxpayers.

When they accept an out of state student, they clearly upcharge. Thus, there's a strong incentive for the school to accept out of state students.

But that's bad, because it takes up seats from California residents who have subsidized the schools through taxes over a period of many years.

So the rule is simply a cap on out of state residents. That's it.

Now, the school can fill up the seats with California residents. Whether they can pay for it, whether they are legal or not, is another subject altogether, but that discussion exceeds the premise of this rule, and the poor reporting of the article.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Most likely illegal immigrants going through the UC system are receiving financial aid. Quite possibly the school system never sees that surcharge.

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChicagoSigMan:
quote:

That's all fair.

I think you are reading it incorrectly. Many state schools cap out-of-state enrollment, and that is perfectly fine and reasonable. But California is going a step further -maybe not be design but by effect. As I understand it, they are declining to apply the caps to illegal immigrants. The result is that once the cap is reached on out of state enrollment, out of state residents who are US citizens are categorically denied admissions while illegal aliens from other states still have a chance to be considered for admissions. That is blatant discrimination based on national origin which violates the US Constitution.

I disagree with your interpretation.

I'm reading it as a cap on out of state students. Period, and nothing else.

The author's premise is that by limiting out of state students, it opens up more seats for California residents. California doesn't track the legal status of it's students. Therefore, the author supposes that some number of those seats given to California residents will be given to illegals.

It's trying to paint a picture that isn't there. Yes, the UC system is fucked up in many ways, but enforcing a rule to keep seats open for California residents doesn't mean they are favoring illegals over citizens. They don't even ask for legal status last I checked.