SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Honda Powersports rep confides; no more piston engines in Honda motorcycles by 2030.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Honda Powersports rep confides; no more piston engines in Honda motorcycles by 2030. Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Given recent power outages and trends --- will transition to electric vehicles pose problems when multi-day power outages occur?

I wonder if anybody with electric vehicles were inconvenienced by the recent outages. Don't mean people that had gas powered vehicles to fall back on. I mean people that solely rely on electric vehicle and had no power at two key points - home and work.

Generator must have in these cases? Generators are sufficient?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12713 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Given recent power outages and trends --- will transition to electric vehicles pose problems when multi-day power outages occur?

I wonder if anybody with electric vehicles were inconvenienced by the recent outages. Don't mean people that had gas powered vehicles to fall back on. I mean people that solely rely on electric vehicle and had no power at two key points - home and work.

Generator must have in these cases? Generators are sufficient?

YES. After Hurricane Irma, most people didn't have power for 2 weeks, my friends sister was driving to his house in her Tesla and ran out of juice on I95 and it had to be towed. I believe Tesla's have a slow charging mode or adapter that you can use a standard household 15 amp electric plug to recharge it, but it takes a very long time 12-24 hours to recharge. But better than nothing.

I think diesel electric is the way to go for cars......a small generator to recharge the battery banks if needed. BUT, the EPA has put such restrictions on diesel that we'll never see that and the best case scenario is a hybrid like the Prius.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
So someone convince me that Honda is going to discontinue their hottest touring platform, the Gold Wing, and create some sub-par electric touring platform?? I don't think so...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
So someone convince me that Honda is going to discontinue their hottest touring platform, the Gold Wing, and create some sub-par electric touring platform?? I don't think so...
What you really need is for someone to tell you that the world will make as much sense as it does right now- which ain't all that much. Which direction do you think the world will go? Will it make as much sense, or will it make less sense?

Posts: 107496 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Read the book "The Energy Disruption Triangle" by David Fessler. It is all about solar power technology as the efficiency increases.

Walmart has already started adding charging stations to their stores that are near the interstate.

https://energyandresourcesdige...etfs-play-ev-influx/

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
What you really need is for someone to tell you that the world will make as much sense as it does right now- which ain't all that much. Which direction do you think the world will go? Will it make as much sense, or will it make less sense?

Well, there's certainly a discernible trend....

That's a helluva thread topic you got there.

As for the topic at hand, to folks throwing out renewables as the solution, there are massive and well documented challenges you are ignoring - physical, political, environmental,technological, economic, etc. The simple fact is fossil fuel and nuclear account for approximately 83% of energy generation in the US, with solar, for instance hanging around 1.6% currently, and I don't see renewables changing in a truly substantive way in the next 10 years. Solar may triple or even quadruple, but other renewables like hydro, currently the largest renewable contributor generating 7%, are on the wane.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10353 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post