SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    No Hummingbirds This Year? UPDATE Page 2
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

No Hummingbirds This Year? UPDATE Page 2 Login/Join 
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
We're definitely down in numbers, filling the feeders much less. There is constant activity but not what we've had before.

We did have a nest on our patio and the two young ones left last week. That was the third year in a row, same area.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3397 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Neither bluebirds or hummers this year and we've always had them here at a weekend place close to Winchester, VA. A disappointment. Wonder why the decline?

Maryland - Where the criminals are the government

Posts: 129 | Location: Maryland | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
Last weekend I had a little hen trapped in my carport I had to climb a ladder to the joists then get a net.

I got a photo of her and let her go.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39744 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I've only seen a couple on the feeder, but now that my crocosmias are starting to bloom more are showing up. In a couple weeks there'll be a mess of them around here.

Yesterday I was out on the deck watering and was standing with my head about a foot away from the feeder when I heard buzzing. I looked over and one was feeding. He then hovered over right in front of my face. We just looked at each other for around thirty seconds and off he went. Never had that happen before as usually they are a little more skittish. Pretty cool.

Posts: 20081 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
The numbers are way down here as well. I see a couple in the morning and that's about it. I have no idea why.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
We have hummingbirds in the Big Bend this summer. It's been kind of dry so maybe they didn't try to press on to the north.

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
last year I had almost a dozen that would come to my feeder - black ones, blue ones, reds and yellows....

this year I have seen two and they won't touch the feeder

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
A month ago, about 20 swarmed in emptying feeders daily.

Then they left, 1-2 sporadically, now some are back, about, 5-6 daily now.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last year 5-6 around feeder,this year only one.

Posts: 735 | Registered: February 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
OK, just this week we've seen a couple. We're having a heat wave/drought, so maybe that's related. Or, maybe they're fledglings? They look pretty small.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10353 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Animis Opibusque Parati
posted Hide Post
My 2 feeders were a territorial battleground between 6 or 8 hummers last year. Not so many this year. The most I have seen recently is 2 of the little flying acrobats. They provide some interesting entertainment.

"Prepared in mind and resources"

Posts: 1353 | Location: SC | Registered: October 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
i have a nest in one of my rhodedendrons. I watched 'em collect cottonwood fuzz to line it.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Plenty here. Going through hummingbird food at a prodigious rate and enjoying the aerial battles.

Posts: 15022 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
I put out a feeder this year and have not seen one.

Hope they find it.

HK Ag

Posts: 3498 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just in the last few days the numbers have been increasing, lots more fighting over the feeders. Maybe they are just running late this year.

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I don't know about hummingbirds, but the crape myrtle trees here are late. Maybe the wet spring?

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
We have quite a few this year. Much more activity than we had a year or two ago when we barely saw any.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We had a reduced "charm" this year, but still had a dozen or so at a time hitting the feeders. The regulars seem to have headed south already. Frown
We had a week or ten days with just one or two at a time, and now we have the swarms heading south stopping in to top off before the next leg.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2064 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
Lots of flowers, lots of feeders.
I'm seeing a bunch south east of Charlotte.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post