SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    No Hummingbirds This Year? UPDATE Page 2
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

No Hummingbirds This Year? UPDATE Page 2 Login/Join 
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted
We've always had plenty of activity, but this year nothing. Not a one. I read we can try a feeder with decaying fruit like bananas, they apparently like fruit flies. Any comments?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jigray3,

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
We don't have many ever, we have never seen more than 5 at the same time.

This year I think we only have two.

Heard about the fruit fly bait thing but haven't tried it yet.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
Not as many as last year but we have 8-10 buzzing around.

Posts: 3572 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No place to go and
all day to get there
Picture of JWF
posted Hide Post
Usually have 6-8 here, only seen 3 at a time this year. I wonder if it is the lack of food as the rains we are having is washing the nectar from the flowers. Keep the feeders full.

Just another day in paradise.

NRA
Georgia Carry

Posts: 1324 | Location: NW GA | Registered: September 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Neel
posted Hide Post
I just saw one on the feeder a few minutes ago.

They really start buzzing around when my scarlet runner beans start flowering, another month or so.

Posts: 559 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: May 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I have only seen one or two when there are about a dozen or so.

Also no tree swallows and the bluebird count is down. Normally there are six to eight pairs and I have only seen three pairs but they were successful in the first nesting.

Also only three turkeys when there is usually a dozen.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
The wife has hanging flowering pots on the back porch. Only seen three or four this year nowhere near what it used to be.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5038 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Same thing for us. Only a few. I have one feeder with zero activity, the other only a few .

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grapes of Wrath
Picture of Wino
posted Hide Post
We've seen many hummingbirds around Austin this year. They loved our Confederate Jasmine earlier this year and have been all over just about any flower. No feeder necessary.

Posts: 1455 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
A few this year but too busy to count.

Posts: 13808 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had quite a few earlier this year (April-May), but only a few the last month or so. Strange.

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
My parents have a feeder at their place here in town. They usually see quite a few, but so far this year only one.

Posts: 7266 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
We have a couple in our yard, specially in the spring when the desert plants are flowering. We have friends who have four in their yard because they have a water feature the hummingbirds love to drink water out of.

Posts: 1502 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not as many as usual but they are steady at draining my two feeders. I know that they say you do not have to color the food but I tried it with and with out color and they really preferred the colored. Instead of just food coloring I add a little cherry kool aid to my home made nectar, maybe that's why they like it better.

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Same here, 1 or 2 where there are usually dozens. I think the cold, wet Spring is at least partially to blame.

My flower beds will start blooming soon, I hope that will lure them in.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15221 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chillin out
Picture of florida boy
posted Hide Post
We had 3 or 4 last year but looks like just 1 or 2 this year.

I practice Shinrin-yoku
It's better to wear out than rust out
Member NRA
Member Georgia Carry

Posts: 3813 | Location: Union County, Georgia | Registered: September 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hillbilly Wannabe
posted Hide Post
Ok, I agree there has been less activity but remember that later in the summer after the chicks fledge you will see more. In late July and August for me I have what must be whole families . I usually put up a couple more feeders then .

Posts: 2545 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
We usually have "fights" over our 2 feeders, but like all of you who've posted so far, we are lucky if I see one or two at our home in St. Louis MO.

Posts: 3721 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No change in numbers this year in Indiana. Lots of them not getting along as usual on two different feeders on opposite sides of the house.

Posts: 1179 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last year my front porch having feeders at each end was a war zone with aerial dogfights over feeder territory. This year, one or two occasionally show up but that's it.

Awake not woke

Posts: 567 | Location: Citrus Springs, Fl. | Registered: January 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post