SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ordered and tried Mountain House. Mrs Cliff seal of approval.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ordered and tried Mountain House. Mrs Cliff seal of approval. Login/Join 
The Velvet Voicebox
posted
In the on going process of setting up the Cliff compound. Food,ammo,potable water, etc. Got a bit of Mountain House put away. We tried some one evening just to see how it tastes. Good stuff. Now I have to keep Mrs Cliff out of it when she doesn't feel like cooking.Smile Kidding. Will be adding to it like ammo.

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7655 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
My favorite is the Beef Stroganoff!

Getting the #10 cans will save you a few bucks.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
I eat it when we go elk hunting every year. We hike in 5 - 7 miles and setup camp. We filter our water out of a creek. Boil water using a Jet Boil. Great stuff!

Posts: 5759 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
It may or may not be in your budget, but making your own is even better.

https://harvestright.com/

Absolutely love mine, and have put up a whole bunch of food stores since I got it.

Posts: 20074 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
It may or may not be in your budget, but making your own is even better.

https://harvestright.com/

Absolutely love mine, and have put up a whole bunch of food stores since I got it.

Yeah, the #10 cans are the best way to go. Ordering a bunch eventually.

I've looked at that. I like it. Not in the budget right now, but I will revisit this soon.

I'm set up for the jetboil also. 6-8 minutes to boiling water and your good to go.

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7655 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
It's been awhile...but their freeze dried ice cream was awesome Smile...I used to carry MH stuff while hiking...my lesser accomplices still carried Beanie Weenies and Dinty Moore beef stew in a can...I reigned supreme (and had tastier food) Big Grin...it's good stuff!

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10584 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought 150 dinner entrees a few months ago for our Scout troop's week long hike in Yosemite. No complaints from the adults or boys. Good stuff.

As an aside, Mountain House offers a 20 or 30% discount for BSA orders with proof of BSA charter.

P229

Posts: 3823 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Where to buy Mountain House?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/s?url=s...1&crid=3N6I8MDU44NGZ

quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
How much do you guys stockpile? In the event of anything that caused a real disruption to the food supply, a 14 day bucket of freeze dried food is nice, but it's only delaying the inevitable.

During Hurricane Irma, we didn't have a problem with food for more than a couple of days.

I want to buy this stuff, but I am just trying to figure out what purpose is served.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Mountain House is my goto when doing overnight hikes. I like the lasagna the best.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16391 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mountain House is the best one I've found.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChicagoSigMan:
I want to buy this stuff, but I am just trying to figure out what purpose is served.

The best freeze-dried food is going to be food you freeze-dry yourself. Gustofer has mentioned that and I am certain he is right. In the past (10-15 years ago), freeze-dried food had expiration dates of 5-10 years. Then it was expanded to 15 years. Now some people say it is 30 years. I'm not sure how they know.

The only long term food storage I believe for certain will last 30 years are staples such as wheat, oats, sugar, etc., canned in #10 cans and stored correctly. YMMV. Sugar takes on a metallic odor after a year of so of storage and has to be aired out.

Since we do not own a freeze-drier, we look at freeze-dried food as something of a luxury. I prefer the 30 year staples for emergency use. Camping is another story. It's a personal preference.

Nothing beats knowing how to cook and make basic meals appetizing and interesting.

There are cheaper options to using freeze-dried foods. Microgreens, for example, can provide a large amount of nutrition per cost and effort. Many long term storage foods, such as beans, lentils, wheat, etc., can be stored and grown to the point of microgreens to enhance nutrition. Broccoli seeds can be bought in bulk and provide many fold the nutrition per weight of the mature vegetable.

Being able to cook or grow microgreens from food storage provides versatility.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:

If not Amazon go to Mountain House direct..

https://www.mountainhouse.com/

--Sir Winston Churchill

--James Earl Jones

non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
That's not a joke. You better keep an eye on the supplies. When I get lazy, I'll break open a bucket and the next thing I know a weeks worth of meals are gone and I'm left with the breakfeast and lasagna.

I call it "rotating stock"

First In Last Out

Posts: 4789 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The wifey and I put together our 1 yr supply a couple of years ago, mostly with a Costco stuff. Not so tasty (cheaper) but better than being hungry. We have supplemented when the budget allows to plan on two "Sunday Sit Down Dinners" per week. The sit down meals are Mountain Home. Very good stuff.

Posts: 7546 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep, Mountain House is good, well everything I have tried except one thing. Sweet and Sour pork. I could not eat that stuff starving, I know because I was! I wasn't the only one, a buddy of mine that loves sweet and sour anything didn't care for it much either.

I really like the beef stroganoff and the chilli Mac.

Funny, someone mentioned the ice cream, every once in a while, I'll be somewhere and to mess with people I'll say, "boy, I could use some ice cream, I'll think I'll have some.", then pull a package out of my pocket and eat it.... people can't believe that it's ice cream. It still tastes good, unless they have changed it the last few months.

ARman

Posts: 3151 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://beprepared.com/food-storage.html
This is where I got all the freeze dry food.

Posts: 621 | Location: WA  | Registered: June 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is where i get mine www.thereadystore.com I sort by biggest discount and just buy stuff on sale, shoot for 50% off.

If you are really hard core get a harvest right freeze dryer. My mom has one, she is a freeze dryin fool. Probably has 4 yrs for her and Dad stored by now. Kinda weird my 65yo mom out-preps the crap out of me. Big Grin

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Mountain House is my go to emergency supply for food. I have collected three dozen #10 cans for this purpose. Lasagna is my favorite.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16666 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post