SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ohio State places Urban Meyer on administrative leave
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ohio State places Urban Meyer on administrative leave Login/Join 
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
Mob mentality.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11108 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by justjoe:
Mob mentality.

Yep. I haven’t seen proof yet that he actually knew.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3968 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by justjoe:
Mob mentality.

Nope, just SOP for Meyer. Win at all cost. Again, I refer you to UF and his "standards" when there. He is chasing Saban, but cant seem to keep a clean program long enough to catch up.

But he will be picked up by another D1 school (if let go), he can win.

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
The issue here lies in University policy and State Law. As a coach he is most likely a Mandatory Reporter/Responsible Employee. He would have to undergo training and sign paperwork that acknowledges he has received training, his responsibility and acceptance of same.

If Domestic violence is included in State Law or University policy and he had knowledge and failed to report, he is definitely in trouble.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
The issue here lies in University policy and State Law. As a coach he is most likely a Mandatory Reporter/Responsible Employee. He would have to undergo training and sign paperwork that acknowledges he has received training, his responsibility and acceptance of same.

If Domestic violence is included in State Law or University policy and he had knowledge and failed to report, he is definitely in trouble.

His wife is a registered nurse and instructor in the OSU college of Nursing. She may be the one in the most trouble because she definitely knew and could be compelled to testify if it goes to court and almost surely was in a position that required her to disclose if she knew of any abuse situation on campus.

Given the history, there is no way she didn't tell Urban. The coach in question is Earl Bruce's grandson. He was given a job at UF as an intern and was there when he beat his pregnant wife. Urban's personal assistant compelled bullied her into dropping the charges against her husband. Urban then hired him as a full assistant at OSU knowing his history. His wife would know the delicate situation and surely would have told her husband that he needed to get rid of him before the continued abuse became public.

Is it possible she didn't tell him? Sure. It's also possible that alien space monkeys are going to land on the South Lawn of the White House today and begin their takeover of the planet. I doubt anyone is betting their house on it, though.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:

His wife is a registered nurse and instructor in the OSU college of Nursing. She may be the one in the most trouble because she definitely knew and could be compelled to testify if it goes to court and almost surely was in a position that required her to disclose if she knew of any abuse situation on campus.

Given the history, there is no way she didn't tell Urban. The coach in question is Earl Bruce's grandson. He was given a job at UF as an intern and was there when he beat his pregnant wife. Urban's personal assistant compelled bullied her into dropping the charges against him. Urban then hired him as a full assistant at OSU knowing his history. His wife would know the delicate situation and surely would have told her husband that he needed to get rid of him before the continued abuse became public.

Is it possible she didn't tell him? Sure. It's also possible that alien space monkeys are going to land on the South Lawn of the White House today and begin their takeover of the planet. I doubt anyone is betting their house on it, though.

There is a Spousal privilege against testifying against one’s spouse.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:

She wouldn't be compelled to testify against Urban. She would be compelled to testify on her own behalf as one with knowledge of the abuse who chose not to report it to the proper authorities.

It's been established that she definitely knew about the ongoing abuse.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:

She wouldn't be compelled to testify against Urban. She would be compelled to testify on her own behalf as one with knowledge of the abuse who chose not to report it to the proper authorities.

It's been established that she definitely knew about the ongoing abuse.

Yes, but spousal communications are off limits. She may take the rap, but can’t be compelled to testify that she told him. There are 7.6 million reasons why she might not want to, and that many more next year.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
I really don’t care if he heard the rumors or not. Urban isn’t a cop. It’s not his damn job. I don’t like society trying to make employers babysitter and policemen.

If she wanted an investigation that is what the police are there for.

I’m tired of this silly social busllshit.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:
I really don’t care if he heard the rumors or not. Urban isn’t a cop. It’s not his damn job. I don’t like society trying to make employers babysitter and policemen.

Agree, kids and adults are two different things. She is a grown woman, I would bet she knows how to dial 911 or walk into a police station. I bet her credit cards would work at a hotel and I am pretty sure she could Google up a divorce attourney. Her abuser's boss is not responsible for her wellbeing. Nevermind the fact that she never told him directly.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure how an employee involved in domestic abuse has anything to do with that person's boss. If someone comes to me and says one of your guys is beating his wife, how do I know it's true, what am I going to do about it that the cops aren't doing, etc?

this is between the husband, wife, and criminal justice system. The boss has nothing to do with this

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:

I agree with you when it is adults who are the victims. I don't have a problem with mandatory reporter laws when it comes to kids though. Too many people will turn a blind eye to abuse for various reasons.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15254 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
I may be in the minority here and that's OK, but I have no problem with a wife beater or someone covering for a wife beater losing their job.

I would submit that being a teacher or coach is vastly different than John Doe down at the factory. Teachers/coaches are understandably held to a higher standard and hiring a known wife beater who you say is reformed and then covering for him when he continues beating his wife to a bloody/bruised mess is an issue for someone in a position of authority and leadership of young men.

I understand that others see it differently.

- John Adams

posted Hide Post
The issue here is the alleged coverup and lie.

George O'Leary lied on his resume and Notre Dame let him go when they found out.

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I'll see if I can help here. Not every boss is required to turn in a spouse for abuse. Those in certain professions (paid or volunteer) are classified as Mandatory/Mandated Reporters by State law or organization policy. This started with child abuse/neglect but other types of abuse have been added over time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandated_reporter

Where I live, Police officers, Firefighters, Doctors, Nurses, Teachers, Coaches, etc., are all mandated reporters. As a coach at the H.S. and collegiate level I had to undergo training on this, and sign papers acknowledging my responsibility to immediately report many things, including domestic abuse. If I find out, or am told, directly or indirectly, that one of my players is in an abusive relationship or has been assaulted, I MUST (no wiggle room here) report to State Police, Local Police, University Police AND University designates. This covers ANY one connected to the University or school by policy, but extends beyond that by law.

As crazy as this sounds, if you're one of my players and want to confide in me about an issue like this, I have to tell you that whatever you reveal MAY compel me to contact law enforcement, I will not have a choice and I cannot keep it a secret. They then have to decide whether to talk to me or not.

So if Meyer went through this training as mandated by law or University policy, and didn't follow through, he's cooked. His wife is most likely also cooked but they won't look at it as a 'she should have so you're ok' situation. My guess is that they'll see it as worse given TWO mandated reporters ignored their responsibility.

If you're a shift supervisor in a tool and die shop, you probably have no obligation to say a word to anyone.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
I'm not sure how an employee involved in domestic abuse has anything to do with that person's boss.....

Completely true if you are speaking about an A/C contractor. But this is a very public money "Machine" that last year alone had revenues of over $200 million from football. OSU raised $532 million in donations for 2017 ($3 billion in the last 7 years). When that much money is in play, appearances count, wife beaters need not apply. And Urban knew this guys background from UF days.

Worse yet, last time OSU won the big one was in 2014, and old Urban got beat by Clemson last year like....well....bad (shut out) then in 2017 makes to the Cotton Bowl? OSU aint paying Meyer to win the Cotton Bowl and having coaches in the news for domestic violence.

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I agree with ESDunbar, I'm in no way an OSU fan, or a Urban Meyer fan, how he's responsible for anything that happened between a married couple is absurd.

If OSU fires him I hope he gets every penny of his contract paid as then some, this hanging a scarlet letter on people in order to hurt them is out of control.

I wouldn't be surprised if the ex is doing this to get even with her husband by killing off his future using UM as the scapegoat where any university won't hire her ex because what she knows or will release to the press..

Nothing like a woman scorned

Posts: 23439 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
So where does the victim's responsibility lie?

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Southflorida-law:
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
I'm not sure how an employee involved in domestic abuse has anything to do with that person's boss.....

Completely true if you are speaking about an A/C contractor. But this is a very public money "Machine" that last year alone had revenues of over $200 million from football. OSU raised $532 million in donations for 2017 ($3 billion in the last 7 years). When that much money is in play, appearances count, wife beaters need not apply. And Urban knew this guys background from UF days.

Worse yet, last time OSU won the big one was in 2014, and old Urban got beat by Clemson last year like....well....bad (shut out) then in 2017 makes to the Cotton Bowl? OSU aint paying Meyer to win the Cotton Bowl and having coaches in the news for domestic violence.
You must work for a small company/firm. I work for a publicly traded company where revenue is expressed in billions not millions. Zero employees would be fired if an employee's wife told the employee's boss' wife the employee was abusing his wife off company premises.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23249 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post