SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Should I be feeling weird about this? Question for our members especially military
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Should I be feeling weird about this? Question for our members especially military Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
No one in the military cares. It would be a different story if you were at the bar telling stories to everyone about all your combat flight time. Enjoy your gift.

Posts: 2016 | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input guys. I had a feeling it would go this way but still wanted to check. Thanks again and I will enjoy it.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
I have had people ask me if I am a pilot when they see Me wearing my Breitling watch. I tell then no I just like the watch. Funny thing is, it is a dive watch and I don't dive.
Enjoy your new watch.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2567 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
thats a really nice watch

really nice

I'd make you a trade - I'll send you my Tag Heuer and you can send me yours

I'll even spring for the shipping Smile

its a great watch - wear it and enjoy it - it doesn't mean you were in the Air Force

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53158 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
Look at it this way, how many people who wear Swiss Army watches that live in the U.S. where in the Swiss Army?

Living the Dream

Posts: 4014 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not military, but have lusted over the Blue Angels Citizen watch for years. Never even considered your question.

Beautiful watch!

Posts: 239 | Location: San Antonio, Tx | Registered: October 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Beautiful watch. Wear it - and be thankful you have such a generous brother (which I'm sure you already are).

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6393 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGguy229
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
So my older brother and I are both big watch fans. He's at a totally different level than I am with a collection in the 000,000 range. Ball had a presale (basically a kickstarter like campaign) for new Engineer III watches the Bronze Star and the Silver Star. They offered them at a great pre-order price and my brother very generously ordered two; one of me and one for him. He has spent most of his life living overseas and doesn't have much experience with the US military and such. So the watches are military watches as they have isignias on them. They are pilot watches so I think he just thought they were avaition insignias of some kind. Turns out they are Airforce insignias. Now neither of us or anyone in our family for that matter has served in the Airforce. I almost feel like these watches should be reserved for people who have. I definitely don't want to look a gift horse in the mouth. It was a very thoughtful and generous gift. So should I be feeling weird about this or just shut up and enjoy my new watch?

What say you?

The watch in question.

Enjoy your watch.

Posts: 1721 | Location: South.....Carolina | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Stolen valor all the way but you can send it to me. I'll even split the shipping with you. Big Grin

Posts: 13085 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
That's a cool watch, enjoy it! If any military aviators care, they're probably idiots who should mind their own business. Feel free to tell them so.

Posts: 2397 | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
You're fine - if it was Medals insignias or something that'd be one thing, but pilot wings, NBD.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ravens1775
posted Hide Post
You can wear the watch, but have to say "zooooom" whenever you go to check the time.

Posts: 744 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 21, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
be careful wearing the watch AND aviator sunglasses at the same time. you may cause women to faint.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10480 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I have several actual crew caps from a variety of US Navy ships including the USS Missouri. I like to wear them in support of the Navy but I NEVER wear them on any holiday that could be construed as one that either directly or indirectly represents our military (the one exception being the Missouri as it is WW2 ship as well and my grandfather is a WW2 vet). Anyway, I would wear it but I would not wear it the 4th, Flag Dag, Memorial Day, etc.

Posts: 12458 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:
I have several actual crew caps from a variety of US Navy ships including the USS Missouri. I like to wear them in support of the Navy but I NEVER wear them on any holiday that could be construed as one that either directly or indirectly represents our military (the one exception being the Missouri as it is WW2 ship as well and my grandfather is a WW2 vet). Anyway, I would wear it but I would not wear it the 4th, Flag Dag, Memorial Day, etc.

I have the BB62 from when we stayed overnight with the Boy Scouts. Haven't worn it since, but I still have it in my office.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4014 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ravens1775:
You can wear the watch, but have to say "zooooom" whenever you go to check the time.
He also needs to wear one of those ascots the USAF pilots love so much. Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of djinco
posted Hide Post
I just looked at the the Ball Watch web site. Wow, those are some fine watches.

Interesting, they also had a limited edition "Ducks Unlimited" series.

Cheers, Doug in Colorado

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 648 | Location: Colorado | Registered: February 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I have a Ball Engineer with an Airborne insignia on the back but you'd never catch me jumping out of a plane even if it was on fire.

I have a certified diving watch that can go 1000 meters but I don't even know how to swim.

I have a Timex watch even though I've never dropped an atomic bomb. (Timex was used for the trigger of the first atomic bombs.)

Enjoy the watch.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19637 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
Enjoy your watch, it's a nice one. When you put it on in the morning you have to sing to yourself "Off we go into the wild blue yonder".

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
Originally posted by ravens1775:
He also needs to wear one of those ascots the USAF pilots love so much. Wink
Missile Launch Officers wear ascots, aircrew generally wear scarves, but only when not flying. I always hated mine and only wore them when I had bosses who insisted on it.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post